What's the damage?

Anam Cara

The Greenwood is also the most expensive deck
I've purchased. As lovely as it is, we haven't bonded
(no fault of the Greenwood...just not my cup of tea!)

Next up was the Buckland Romani...I just HAD to have
the original...hopefully the re-issue (I have it on pre-order)
won't look exactly the same! LOL
I use this deck almost daily.

Same goes for the Alchemical...I have the original of
it as well and have pre-ordered the Alchemical Renewed.
I use this deck at least a couple times a week...

No regrets at all over the cost, though it's funny,
I don't remember the exact prices I paid for any
of these...I think I have put the numbers our of my head
to assuage the guilt!!

:heart:cara

VGimlet

Thanks la-luna, I feel much better now, lol. But I would probably pay that for my most wanted deck. :p

I paid 140 US for the Far Sight. That's the most so far, but I know now I have become interested in vintage and older decks I'll be paying more someday soon.

Other 100+ decks

Abysmal 105
Maat 100
Rock & Roll 1st ed 135 (what a deal)
Amber 110 ( gift)
Tarrochi del Re Sole 100
Gaian 100
Folchi's Millennium 116 (gift)
Nuovo Tarrocco Ligurea de Piedmontese 100

I would pay quite a bit for some of the Folchi decks. The Carnivale is my most wanted of his, but any of them, especially the Felicita, Cittadi di Ferrara, and Ommagio de Erte....

I paid 40.00 for my Greenwood.

Just like computer stuff, I don't feel bad about the money I spend on tarot. And unlike computers, some of my decks have actually appreciated in value, LOL.

Like Jewel, my hub buys me decks I really want for special days. We have gotten to the point there isn't much either of us really wants or needs, so decks are an easy out for him, too. Plus I REALLY appreciate them. LOL.

memries

Since I buy my own... the most $100 for a new Buckland Romani deck from Australia.

The decks here are mostly $35 to $45 and up plus tax so that adds it up.
Right now I don't have much of an urge but would like a Baba-Prague deck eventually. If the decks were cheaper I would buy more but you open them and then they go in the drawer. I love my Fey Tarot right now and am just going to be hooked on it until I don't.

I would rather keep them than sell them at a loss. They are already paid for.

Also the shipping from the States to Canada is atrocious. Next time I go I am going to buy some there and bring them home. Lilydale, N.Y. here I come.
They open in early June !

MoonLitCrystal

Wow, now I don't feel bad about how much I've spent on my decks. Two of them have been gifts, but the Unicorn Tarot and Tarot of a Moon Garden only set me back about $30-35 apiece.

la-luna

It seems I’ve done a good deed – now all can feel good about themselves and confess.
But I really hope there pops someone up who makes me good with something higher?

gregory

la-luna said:
ok make place make place here comes the really BIG ones
I have a weakness for really rare limited editions and OOP decks so my most paid was really painful
The most expensive was my Michael's Tarot - 2nd edition here it comes: $ 1000, my second most expensive was the Kashmir Tarot at $600
I only paid €200 for my Kashmir - from the artist.....!!

My most expensive ever was the Thomson-Leng; I bought it from another ATer and don't want to mention the price in public - it was very fair, but it was a lot of money. Next was the Hero's Journey at $210.

Debra

I'll easily pay $100 or more for a deck I really want, if it is something hard to find, like David's, or a rare older deck, or something that has the artist's own hand on it, like the Black Lilly or the restored Noblet majors.

But I will never again pay $50 for a "special limited edition" of a mass market deck (even with a "bonus" journal or other item) that is also published in a "regular edition" for less than half that price. I see it as a marketing ploy.

Aerin

Debra said:
I'll easily pay $100 or more for a deck I really want, if it is something hard to find, like David's, or a rare older deck, or something that has the artist's own hand on it, like the Black Lilly or the restored Noblet majors.

But I will never again pay $50 for a "special limited edition" of a mass market deck (even with a "bonus" journal or other item) that is also published in a "regular edition" for less than half that price. I see it as a marketing ploy.

I will only pay for a special edition if I can reconcile one or more of the following:
- the bonus item is something I really really want and would pay the extra for anyway
- the edition is different enough to make me want it as well e.g. silver BG, gold VR, very special extra card or cards....
- it isn't going to make me have a mega guilt trip.

I didn't buy the limited Gilded because I couldn't quite reconcile myself on the third point. The dollar/ pound rate was favourable, but not as good as now, and I couldn't have admitted to anyone how much I paid. So I didn't do it, and waited for the regular edition instead. I tried my husband for Christmas at one point but didn't press the point.

Aerin

sharpchick

I paid $50 for the Buckland Romani, just shortly before it was OOP.

If I felt I just had to have a deck and had the money, I'm not sure what I'd be willing to pay for it. Somehow I can't see paying thousands of dollars for a deck, but I'd probably would spend a good sum.

SolSionnach

I'm fascinated by this thread - and so happy to be here where folks understand me! I don't have a single friend in RL who does this, much less sees the pull of a good tarot deck.

My pricey-est decks:
Ma'at: $110

Ironwing: $90

My 2nd del Solleone Vachetta: $120? (I think? That was back before all the reprints (Meneghello and LS) of the deck became available - I thought I'd be able to sell it at a profit.)

Margerete Petersen: $45 (and then I found a second copy at amazon for **$25**. I bought that, and sold the other one for about what I paid for it)

Omaggio a Erte: I don't remember. I'm thinking $80. It's signed, after all (and Mark Filipas lists his at over $300).

Maddoni: $80 on ebay. lol I learned my lesson on that one - at the time it was available for **$15** from astroamerica or some such. I do better research now. ;)

Lebanese Tarot (Adam McClean - sp?) - $80

(none of the above includes shipping...)

I am willing to spend a large amount for Shadowscapes, Mary-el, LBMoore's (of Ironwing fame) oracle deck, when they become available. In fact, the collector in me is willing to invest in limited-run decks with no problem. All the rest of my decks were either slightly discounted, full price, or if OOP, slightly above full price. It's scary to think of how much money I've gone through with this hobby, but it has given me much pleasure over the years.