When Death is the opening card in a reading

Gabe

Hi, I have this dilemma with the repeated appearance of Death in readings, usually in the opening of a present-near future-distant future spread, where it seems like it doesn't mean ending of something. I usually interpret Death as the end of something; I know it can also mean change, but I'd like to know if you have any other ideas on how to read it as something other than the end of something, because I've had experience of readings where that interpretation just didn't make much sense..thank you !

Tobe

if it's not the ending, then why not look at it as a begining?
people always have that stereotype of death=end of everything
since death clear all the existence of before, we can think of it as a zero
and it being an opening card is just pointing that out loud and clear.
it means you're now zero and clear, purified. ready for what's coming ahead.
the next 2 cards probably are what's coming for you.

Gabe

people always have that stereotype of death=end of everything
since death clear all the existence of before, we can think of it as a zero
and it being an opening card is just pointing that out loud and clear.
it means you're now zero and clear, purified. ready for what's coming ahead.
the next 2 cards probably are what's coming for you.

What you said about it being a "zero" card is really good....and it could work in relationship readings, as well !? Cause I remember it came up once in a relationship reading, always as the first card, and I found it very odd and confusing...but what you are saying makes a lot of sense !

And, in at lest a couple of those readings, the cards that followed were good...

Tobe

you're welcome :)
sometimes when you look at the cards, it takes a bit more thinking to do, because it can mean both way even if it's right side up

nisaba

In actual fact, beginnings ARE an ending. They are an ending to the state you were in before the beginning started.

Tobe

In actual fact, beginnings ARE an ending. They are an ending to the state you were in before the beginning started.

which is why I said "why not look at it as a beginning"
the death card has both meaning, which mean it can look at both way
beginnings are ending, but endings are also the beginnings

Gabe

I did this really strange spread one day, it was present situation and developments in the near and then distant future, and I was really surprised when I saw the cards. The very first card was Death, and then, it looked as if the relationship-it was about love-would unfold, and ended up with the most beautiful cards. That couple was going through a break up when I did the reading, the querent told me they ha in fact " taken a break ", but she was hoping that they would get back together..

werewolfmoon

Death in my deck is called 'the close' I see it as an emotional change or transition, onto something else, possibly better but more likely different.

Gabe

Death in my deck is called 'the close' I see it as an emotional change or transition, onto something else, possibly better but more likely different.

The emotional transition is a beautiful idea to read Death...I wonder if a relationship can survive such a huge transition or transformation as the one represented by the Death card...

Strenght

In this position, I would see Death as complete change, leaving the old for something new, changing or needing to change the course completely...
For me Death is a "good"card most of the time, I see it usually a transformation or change that happens rather quickly.