When Death is the opening card in a reading

Gabe

In this position, I would see Death as complete change, leaving the old for something new, changing or needing to change the course completely...
For me Death is a "good"card most of the time, I see it usually a transformation or change that happens rather quickly.

Quickly ? Really ? I never thought of it like that

aliceinwonderland

Hey!

I get this card to open (first card) about the guy I'm with. In my opinion, it reflects that we have a past (previous break up, I left him and he has told me it hurt him, so is a painful end giving way to a new, healthier beginning)

I would also see it as leaving a situation that no longer works for you, or beliefs that no longer serve you. Is hard choices, but ultimately right ones, that promote growth. It gets a bad rap, but I see it as necessary. Inevitable too.

It could also appear to warn that one or the two of you need to get over the past.

Life is about change after all!

Hope this helps :)

Chimera Dust

I did this really strange spread one day, it was present situation and developments in the near and then distant future, and I was really surprised when I saw the cards. The very first card was Death, and then, it looked as if the relationship-it was about love-would unfold, and ended up with the most beautiful cards. That couple was going through a break up when I did the reading, the querent told me they ha in fact " taken a break ", but she was hoping that they would get back together..

I'm quoting this part of your post because it makes more sense to me with an example.

In this case, I would interpret Death as meaning the ending of a stage. It could mean that this new stage is simply them going their separate ways. It could mean, instead, a new stage on their relationship when they start again after the break, bringing fresh perspectives and different outlook to the table.

Gabe

Hey!

I get this card to open (first card) about the guy I'm with. In my opinion, it reflects that we have a past (previous break up, I left him and he has told me it hurt him, so is a painful end giving way to a new, healthier beginning)

I would also see it as leaving a situation that no longer works for you, or beliefs that no longer serve you. Is hard choices, but ultimately right ones, that promote growth. It gets a bad rap, but I see it as necessary. Inevitable too.

It could also appear to warn that one or the two of you need to get over the past.

Life is about change after all!

Hope this helps :)

Thank you, this is very spot on, I think..it's very clear, exactly what I was looking for..! Thank you !

Gabe

I'm quoting this part of your post because it makes more sense to me with an example.

In this case, I would interpret Death as meaning the ending of a stage. It could mean that this new stage is simply them going their separate ways. It could mean, instead, a new stage on their relationship when they start again after the break, bringing fresh perspectives and different outlook to the table.

But because the cards that followed wew beautiful love cards, it could mean a fresh start after the break, right ?

Rhapsodin

One of the telling cards in the Rainbow Travellers deck is the Death card, pictured as a golden angel of death, the card titled "Death/Rebirth" which is so appropriate, the image effectively representing this transition.

Gabe

One of the telling cards in the Rainbow Travellers deck is the Death card, pictured as a golden angel of death, the card titled "Death/Rebirth" which is so appropriate, the image effectively representing this transition.

Yes, it can definitely signal a rebirth, of course, but because it it such a strong card to indicate endings, I was just wondering if there can be a continuity with what came before, if you see what I mean..in this case, the same relationship ?

Nikita_

I was reading up on this in the search forum because I had a similar occurrence, and now I can add my experience, with hindsight....I had Death coming up in repeated readings in a relashionship question as the opening card some time ago, and I also wondered what it meant...unfortunately, as things unfolded, it became clear that the relationship was doomed....despite efforts to keep it alive. I find that, whichever way you look at it, Death is not a good card, and even if some people say it can also mean change, I never saw it like that, personally...

tarotbear

If I was to do a reading and got Death as the first card - it would be telling me that I have passed a hurdle and I would be looking forward to what the next cards tell me about what new (and sometimes troublesome!) things are coming in my direction. Death, IMHO, represents 'Death of a past way of fill in the blank.' Over! Done! Time to move forward and move on - stop grieving for something that is completely past and look forward to the future. For me, Death is a positive card, which is why I chose to portray it that way in the Tarot I designed:

Attachments

• MA 013.jpg
    MA 013.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 80

Nikita_

If I was to do a reading and got Death as the first card - it would be telling me that I have passed a hurdle and I would be looking forward to what the next cards tell me about what new (and sometimes troublesome!) things are coming in my direction. Death, IMHO, represents 'Death of a past way of fill in the blank.' Over! Done! Time to move forward and move on - stop grieving for something that is completely past and look forward to the future. For me, Death is a positive card, which is why I chose to portray it that way in the Tarot I designed:

Many people are fascinated by the idea of reading something positive and even a new beginning in Death....that's not my experience of this card, though of course, when something ends, we have no choice but to move forward-or die with it...but the focus is on the mourning, painful experience of that particular moment, in my opinion...