Why Are Tarot Decks High Theft Items?

Glass Owl

I noticed in another thread that several people were discussing the fact that several stores say they are no longer stocking or displaying tarot decks because of high theft. This is very sad because it hurts the Tarot industry and it makes it more difficult for people to get exposure to the Tarot and to pursue it further.

Some stores place decks behind the counter or in a locked glass case which can also make it inconvenient to look at them or purchase them. In several bookstores, I have noticed empty packages on the shelves right alongside the Tarot books. For what I've seen, I don't think that the bigger boxes have really deterred the braver or more desperate thieves.

I bought one deck about 6 months ago and it wasn't until I got home that I noticed the box was open and the cards were all mixed up. I was so irritated with myself for not noticing it. I was holding my breath until I double checked and realized all the cards were there and not damaged. It looked to me like someone gently shuffled them--maybe to do an in-store reading or to see how well the cards shuffled?

At any rate, why do you think that people are stealing Tarot decks? Mainly because they are small and can fit into a pocket? They are too expensive? Or is it other factors?

I'm wondering if part of it may have to do with the fact that they may feel uncomfortable being seen purchasing them by those who may judge them (other customers or the clerk) especially in a retail bookstore setting vs a metaphysical shop.

Maybe some of the thieves really want the decks but they have been programmed into thinking "it is a waste of money to spend money on cards when I could be use the money to buy something *more useful* or that I need like food"?

And what about the actual theft? Do you think it changes the thief's view of the cards and the readings that are done with them if he/she did the stealing or know they were stolen (guilty conscience)? Does it make a difference if you know that your cards were purchased honestly either by yourself or someone else?

--Glass Owl

Unknownspirit

Tarot decks look really easy to steal, just slip them in a pocket.
The only person I know who stole a deck just did it for the pretty pictures, she doesn't read with it.
I don't think that I would beable to do it. I feel like I rip off the book store too much because I read at least one book everytime I'm there. And I would feel bad everytime I read with the deck.

Rusty Neon

I've seen signage in new age stores promising bad karma to those who steal tarot decks from the store.

Unknownspirit

Rusty Neon said:
I've seen signage in new age stores promising bad karma to those who steal tarot decks from the store.

Thats cute. I wonder if it has made anyone think twice about stealing from the store.

greycats

Easier to steal than CDs?

Certain of the decks may appeal to persons with limited incomes. These people might well be impulsive as well as impatient and disinclined to theorize about the results of reading with a stolen deck. Tarot decks are easier to steal than many other items desired by the same group. The cards are usually wrapped in cellophane, then put in a card box, which may then be placed in yet another box, etc. Often shucking the outer box gets rid of any theft alert devices. With CDs or clothing, this is not the case. :(

Grizabella

I think it's probably because of all the attention on tarot these days and the fact that it's more accepted to use tarot cards than it used to be. Years ago, a person would probably have been afraid to steal the cards if they'd been able to find a store that sold them because of a superstitious belief that harm would come to them for doing it. Tarot has almost gotten to be a fad these days, you have to admit. Cost is a factor, most likely. Also, the cards are expensive and some people can't afford them. I'd make a guess that maybe teenagers who don't have a lot of money of their own might be stealing them, too.

But really, why does anyone steal anything?

Moongold

I think it is simply that they are small items and easy to steal.
It makes sense to lock them away.

Rusty Neon

Taking their cue from what CD and record stores sometimes do, some general bookstores take the tarot deck out of the box and leave the empty box on display, with the purchaser getting the deck from the cashier.

Some bookstores have the tarot decks in a locked cabinet that the cashier must open. Others have the decks visible in a rack by the cashier and the cashier pulls the deck off the rack.

Incidentally, other items that new age bookstores sometimes take special precautions with against shoplifters are books by Aleister Crowley and magic books.

Curiously, in terms of general books, books by Jack Kerouac are also subject to special precautions by bookstores. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kerouac

Deana

The woman at Borders, who has to open the glass case for me about once a week, said there's a rumor going around that Tarot decks only "work" if you steal them. I'm not sure whether she was kidding or not.

Moongold

The Haunted Bookshop here has samples of the cards for prospective buyers to look at. Their samples list is up to date. The decks themselves are locked away. I really like this shop. The owner obtains things from European suppliers also.

TS Bookshop does have some decks on open access but usually only the boxed sets which are quite large and would be hard to steal. They also have a display book of sample cards but this is certainly not up to date. All of their decks and orders are listed on computer and they usually check their first if you are after something. I notice that many of the Doreen Virtue type oracle decks simply lie around. They don't seem to be so concerned about these (and I'm not surprised :) )

Borders don't carry the range they used to and lock things away.