Why have more than one deck?

canid

CelticDruidess said:
I've just ordered the Robin Wood Tarot deck from amazon, and it should be arriving today. I've already got one deck, but another deck is always useful, and it does me good to change my decks every once in a while as it means I read more into the cards, I pick things up etc. I think it does the decks good too to have a rest from being read. Do you have one deck or more? Do you think having multiple decks is a good idea or not, and why?

I'm just interested.... ;)

Edit: PS. - there seems to be a little confusion here... I mean owning more than one deck - e.g. Sharman-Caselli AND Robin Wood etc...

You will love the Robin Wood. This deck was 'it' for me for over 3 months, which is a record. I like having more decks, for different types of readings, for different moods, for just like the eye candy. For instance, the Gilded works well for me when contacting those in the spirit world. I recently traded the Pagen deck with Griz & I'm in love with it; really getting great results. I don't know if it's the imagery that jives with me, or what. I just love connecting with a deck on a personal level, finding new meanings just for me & that particular deck. Have fun!

Debra

As collections go, they don't take up much room and they're low maintenance. Compared with, say, machine guns or automobiles.

prudence

see, I keep mine in the same case as my machine gun collection. They look great together. :D And talk about a conversation piece!

Rosanne

I presume Prudence is joking with a machine gun collection :frown:

There is a difference between wants/wishes and needs.
I do not need more than one deck.
I see nothing wrong with indulging my wants and wishes- so have done so once I could.
On the other hand I have a core group I use for reading- specific to a group.
I only use one deck ever for family, one deck for myself, I never change that.
~Rosanne

gregory

Now there we differ. I enjoy testing different ones, even though I have a few I generally prefer..... I find I get whole new perspectives !

MysticalMoose

Me too :) I like to use & try out different decks as well. I have a main core of decks that I use the most but most of my 100+deck collection get an outing fairly often. I find I respond to different decks better on different days depending on my mood and/or the type of reading I am doing and/or how I feel with my sitter. I also have decks that I don't read with but just like to look thru, shuffle & fondle <grin> :D

morticia monroe

Le Fanu said:
I don't have this. I don't believe in "the one". Ive stopped feeling guilty about voraciously buying decks too. I buy them, love them, and sometimes don't use them for months. Then that sudden delicious feeling of waking up one day and discovering that fabulous deck which was in your collection all along, waiting for you to give it the kiss of life...

I don't overspend as I only buy tarot after Ive paid for all the dull and sensible things in life.

And there are decks which are wonderful but just aren't very readable. Who cares? I don't feel guilty about it. I get them out, look at them, then put them away again. I am occasionally struck by the worry that there are actually a lot of decks Id quite like to read with, but there just isn't enough time. And still I buy more.

My list of favourite reading decks (forget the ones languishing on the bookshelves) has grown from 5 to about 25 in the space of one year!

So why have more than one deck? Because I can...

Fanu said it all! I feel exactly the same way.

olivia1

wytchwood said:
Each deck has its own interpretation of the tarot and some cards which previously seemed vague can become clearer with a fresh perspective. With each deck I use, more layers of meaning are added to my understanding of the cards.

Exactly. That's why I have 4 different beginner's decks. I feel the more decks I look at and work with, the better I am at interpreting the cards.

emmsma

I love having many decks. I love to hold them and shuffle them, look at them. I love to pull out several decks and compare the differences and similarities of the cards.

There are some that I find easy to read with, some that I intend to "some day" study. There are others that are beautiful, and though I may never read with them, are a pleasure to have.

Tarot - and Oracles - are just plain wonderful to have around!

Miss Divine

emmsma said:
Tarot - and Oracles - are just plain wonderful to have around!

That's for sure! My kids even love having 'em around.:p