Witches of East End - tarot deck used?

Chara

They look very, very similar to the Hudes deck. In fact, so similar that I've a nasty feeling it might be the Hudes, worked-over to escape copyright. Has anyone told Susan Hudes?

I put the cards side by side (thanks for the cap Glass Owl!)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/5ab92dbf6a142836fbe7d2535788c8c6/tumblr_mvj0uh9lqE1ql0zcao1_1280.png

I have to admit, I don't see any similarity at all!

Sadly, at this point whenever I see a great deck in a tv show I assume it's a one-off, incomplete prop. Which is a shame because I'd definitely be interested in this deck, "The Cloak" and all!

Rhinemaiden

Other shows have used real decks... Inspector Lewis season 6... RWS with Roses/Lillies back;
episode of Bones with Cyndi Lauper, used a real deck...

PathWalker

... Does the world need yet another TV show with beautiful, nubile young witches with perky boobs and tight butts? Can we say 'stereotyped' ?

Oh not at all - I fit that description exactly Ha ha ha.

Interesting little thread on the cards though, thank you. Can't get the series here for me yet.

Pathwalker (the nubile etc)

Tarot Terry

Reasson for 'made-up' Tarot deck on Witches of East End?

After reading the other responses to this thread, I began to ponder why they'd use a 'made up' Tarot deck, when so many beautiful ones exist. I'm thinking that in future episodes, they may want the cards to deliver a specific message, one that even the non-Tarot viewers out there will 'get'. If their deck wants to point out the fact that jealousy is involved in a situation, for example, they could just make up a card with an appropriate picture on it that has the word 'JEALOUSY' printed on it in big black letters (much like Gypsy Oracle Cards).

nisaba

Other shows have used real decks... Inspector Lewis season 6... RWS with Roses/Lillies back;
episode of Bones with Cyndi Lauper, used a real deck...

Father Ted used a special three-Death-card edition of the Fournier Marseilles, a touring show had a participant who was carrying around an SOL deck.

mah jong

Do you mean Father Ted of the Irish set sitcom? If so, it would be exciting to know that there is an episode including tarot.

nisaba

That would be the Father Ted in question. It was the Fairground episode.

tarotbear

After reading the other responses to this thread, I began to ponder why they'd use a 'made up' Tarot deck, when so many beautiful ones exist.

Rights and Royalties spring immediately to my mind ... you need permissions to use images that might easily be recognizable to the audience - particularly if you are NOT giving credit to the designer in the episode. Much easier to have some PC art-whizz knock something 'tarot-looking' out for an episode and not end up paying royalties or getting permissions.

The Father Confessor

Possibly Oracle?

Could it be that there not tarot cards, but Oracle cards instead? I'm quite new to tarot and oracle cards, so I may be wrong.

BeyondtheVeil

While the result is very interesting, it's a shame they didn't use an original deck and one that was available for purchase. It would have given an artist some money and us a deck that we could purchase.

I agree! :thumbsup: I thought the same thing about Charmed. The episode where Rose was doing a reading on Cole and Phoebe's Wedding. I was very disappointed to find out that they made up the deck. I would have definitely bought one.. or three..! :D

BeyondtheVeil