Your First Deck

h3ll0k1tt33

My first deck was Aquarian, but I dropped it outside once and lost a few of the cards in traffic (the Death card got run over, and a few others were never seen again). I can't remember if it was given to me or if I bought it, but I hadn't had it very long before its accident. I thought I loved it, but when I recently ordered a replacement I was really 'meh' about it once it arrived.

To replace that I then purchased a Morgan-Greer which I still love today. I then got a bit of the collecting bug and bought several more decks. This was all back in the day where you'd have to physically find them in shops and had only a picture or two (or none sometimes) on the box to help you make a decision (which may explain several decks in my collection that don't really connect with me). I used the Morgan-Greer the most though, and still can close my eyes and easily picture almost any card.

I still have all my old decks (cards missing and all), though I would love to find them good homes where someone else can love them and possibly use them to replace missing cards in their own old and beloved deck.

Marcus R

Thoth "greenie" (lucky me).
I knew of Crowley and saw this box in the store while my wife had her cards read. Bought it. I really liked the artwork, seemed very secret yet full of symbols for the initiated. LWB was no help, I knew nothing of Tarot, so put it up on the bookshelf.
20 years later met my mentor which triggered me to want to learn.
Now that I can read and can understand most/some of what I'm looking at, I love the Thoth even more.
My mentor thinks its beautiful too.
My sister in law thinks its "cold".

Robby F.

A love story...

Ahhh...memories. The first time I saw Tarot cards was while Roger Moore was seducing Jane Seymour in the James Bond film _Live and Let Die_. I was intrigued. A short time later, my uncle's wife (at the time) gave me my first reading with the Morgan-Greer. That was probably 1986. I purchased my first set when I was 16, around 1990. I pondered over the old USG catalog for hours trying to make a decision and finally chose the Hanson-Roberts. When I left home a couple of years later, I left that deck with my mother (where it was eventually lost in a house fire). When I was 20, I found an old RWS that a boarder had left in my fiancee's brother's house. He said I could take them, and it's been magic ever since. After that, I ordered the Witches Tarot from USG, that first deck I had seen in Solitaire's lovely hands. Twenty years later, I still have them all (the fiancee--now wife--and a hundred or so more tarot decks--including, of course, a replacement for that dear old Hanson-Roberts).

earthair

Ahhh...memories. The first time I saw Tarot cards was while Roger Moore was seducing Jane Seymour in the James Bond film _Live and Let Die_. I was intrigued.

Me too! Saw the film, bought the deck. Who says advertising doesn't work...

Darkmage

I've never seen the movie, but I have the deck. It's still in print. This is one of the ones that I love to take for public readings as it's got a lovely late 60's early 70's vibe to it. Morgan Greer is another fave for the late 70's feel.

I found both of them used for about $6 each and couldn't be happier. ;)

ana luisa

My first deck was a Lenormand one but my first TAROT deck was the Voyager. Still very loved. :)

kduphily

Wow to hear which deck everyone got as their first deck is awesome, and what a mix...my first deck was the Wheel of the Year from. LoS. Was given to me by a friend last year, I just it just for my own readings, it's like visiting with an old friend and having a chat :)

kell

My first tarot deck was RWS when I was 13-15. I don't think my parents would buy it for me, so I had to order it out of a magazine or catalog (this was the late 70's) with help from a friend. I didn't do much with it, I thought the images looked weird and lost interest pretty quickly.
Fast forward 20 years, and I received another RWS from a friend who was into tarot. She helped me to read the cards, but our friendship dissolved, and tarot took a back seat.
I 'rediscovered' tarot again in the past year and a half. I cannot have ever imagined the wide variety of decks! It's made me become a bit of a tarot glutton:)

The Happy Squirrel

Mine is the Sun and Moon tarot :)