Your tarot table

raheli

Well I have the opportunity to set up a room at my hairdresser for professional readings and I would love your input!

The room is approximately 2.6metres x 2 metres, it is home to a massage table that can not be removed and some lovely little lighted nooks in the walls for displaying products.

My dilemma is what sort of table should I get!
I can get a 75cm square dinner height table from ikea or I have the option of a 60cm diameter side table height (60cm high) table.
Of course further searching will yield more options but I guess I'm asking....

Tall like a dinner table or shorter like a coffee or side table?
and
Round or square?

Most readers I know have taller tables but my other half thinks that a shorter table would be possibly more intimate.

If I went the taller table I would have to have chairs without arms, but if i went the smaller table chairs with arms may be ok.

I'd also love to hear from you what other things you think may be nice to have in the room, so far my list reads.

Music
oil burner and oils
paper to write on of course
tissues
crystals
maybe a goddess statue (have to see who comes my way!)

I have attached a basic layout of the room.
Thanks in advance
R.

Attachments

• ROOMLAYOUT.jpg
    ROOMLAYOUT.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 685

Alta

I think you would come to regret the lower table. The cards will be harder to see and it might bother your back in time to leaning over so much.

Elnor

The table I use is like a coffee table, and it has its good points, along with several drawbacks. (It's not a real coffee table- it's what was a good sized dining table whose previous owner sawed its legs off! :))

It's low enough that my client can see all the cards easily, even when they are sitting back in their chair- but they can't get their knees under it so have to lean forward when they want to choose a card.

I usually have to perch on the edge of my chair to lay the cards out, so I have to remind myself to sit up straight while talking to the client, else my back does start to hurt, as Alta mentioned in her post... by the end of an hour-long reading I can become tired, so that is something to keep in mind.

Also, if there isn't a clock in the room, you might want to add a little alarm clock to your list, too.

I have another low table by the client's chair for their cup of tea, because I have a strict rule about not allowing any drinks on the table with the cards- I don't know if you will be able to offer tea or coffee to your clients or not, but I've heard several nightmare stories from other readers who've been at events where a knocked over drink has ruined a deck! (So if I was you, I'd put the oil burner in one of the nooks for that reason, too.)

Good luck with your new venture!
elnor

Umbrae

head over to the thread "Pictures of our reading space", go to page 75 and look at pics of Umbrae and Satin Angel. They use a table you get from a store called Staples (they are on the web also), that features adjustable hight (short and normal), is 8 lbs, packs flat, and is 24" round.

Apollonia

Hi, raheli! Congratulations on finding a space!

My shop provides a card table with folding legs, the usual dinner table height that people keep in their homes for extra table space at holidays, etc. If I had to bring my own table, that's what I'd get, as the height is perfect for long-term use without my arms tiring from being up too high or my back going out from having to bend over the cards.

I always have a tablecloth (right now, it's blue crushed velvet) because I hate to see a bare table unless it is beautiful in its own right. I always have a candle, but it is fragrance free, as the shop burns incense and there are enough aromas around without adding to the mix. In your case, you may wish to go in the shop a couple of different times and take a good sniff to see what it usually smells like before deciding on a scented oil, because if it's like my hairdresser, there are a lot of different products that they use, so your clients may feel a bit overwhelmed. (In fact, you might want to use some sort of air deodorizer machine, just to give their noses a break.)

I always have crystals and a pendulum in case my client can't decide what deck they want me to use. Plus coasters for their tea or whatever beverage they might bring in, so my pretty tablecloth doesn't get rings on it.

Have fun with your space!

Grizabella

I'm with the dinner height table---small and round would be excellent, but if you have to pack it around with you and can't leave it at the salon, then that wouldn't be good and a small folding card table would be much better.

Music? Hmmmm----very, very softly in the background maybe. But very softly.

Other than that, your list looks good. But don't forget pens---gotta have some pens to write with on that paper. I suggest those big economy packs of disposable ones you can get at Walmart for cheap because your pens will disappear. People forget and just walk off with them.

Congratulations on your new "place"! Keep us posted as to how it goes. :D :heart: :thumbsup:

raheli

Hi Everyone!
First of all thank you for your responses, I appreciate the time you've taken to think about my question.

Alta - you are so right! I never thought of the leaning over thing!

Elnor - The oil burner will definitely go into one of the nooks, The thought of having it where it could get knocked is scary! I'm still of two minds about the cups though, I don't have room for extra side tables but maybe i could put a drinks tray on the massage table. In either case I will be using small cups and glasses to limit any spill damage.

Ah Umbrae: The perfect table, Alas they don't ship to Australia!

Apollonia: Coasters! good idea. I'm definitely with you on the tablecloth, my cards are happier with one, and easier to pick up! I'll have to have a sniff, The oils are an integral part of the guided meditation I would like to offer so I will have to consider this carefully! I'll have to see if i can find a card table to check out the size!

Grizabella: I can leave it at the salon, but you are right it could be handy for it to be portable! Again the music is for the meditation aspect, it will be ambient stuff, not pop!
And pens! I work in the promo product industry I'm pretty sure I can find a few free pens! Do you think one's printed with my details are tacky - j/k!! I'm sure there are blank one's around!

morticia monroe

I've never read in a public situation like that, so congratulations! I would say maybe a box of tissues should you have an emotional client and maybe instead of a regular alarm clock, a pretty hourglass would look beautiful. I believe you can find them with different amounts of sand so that you can find one with the amount of time you want.

Umbrae

raheli said:
Ah Umbrae: The perfect table, Alas they don't ship to Australia!
But somebody does...find your local (Aussie) office supply store, search the web...they are out there...

Flame looks cool, but it's a disaster waiting to happen - I've seen too many accidents over the years.

Doo Dads, Knick-Knacks, Gizmo's and Whirley-Bobs do NOT create atmosphere, they detract.

Your READING ABILITY creates atmosphere.

Only TWO items belong on your table.

The deck, and a pocket watch.

Don't use a kitchen timer. When it goes off, you're going to piss off the reader next to you.

Your job is to read Tarot. Interior design is not part of your job description.

ETA: I buy packets of tissues. If a sitter becomes emotional, I give them a packet. Carrying a box around creates clutter (and negative energy LOVES clutter).

Dwaas

Round table, not too big. Two small chairs. Nice tablecloth so the cards won't damage. A watch. Two or three decks to pick from. Businesscards. A pencil. A small teacandle in a red glass holder. I should have brought tissues but I always forgot and regretted. So that's it. That is what I brought in the shop where I worked. Umbrae is right, as very often :) and I agree in that it is about your reading abilities. Don't bring too much distraction. It will also shy away people who just want a reading instead of a "gypsy adventure". But that may depend on who will attend you off course. The more "normal" I was dressed and equipped, the more sitters I had.
Music should indeed be played very very soft, far away on the background. It is easily distracting and when it does not fit the mood of the moment you and your sitter will feel uncomfortable. Make sure there are no djembe drumrolls or wolfhowling just starting full volume when you have to tell a harsh truth. KNOW the music if you need to play some.
Oh and have fun! :D