Your tarot table

re-pete-a

REHELI-have just seen a plastic top table ,could suit your needs,,,,,,,,,,,,supplied by Bunnings Hardware.Light ,folding legs,looks quite sturdy and firm,60cmx60cm,$30.............also a fan may be an accessory for summer(unless the place is air conditioned) ain't shopping great,,,,ooooohh lookey, lookey!!!really??

morticia monroe

Umbrae said:
Divergent opinions are what makes good card games and horse races.

Makes life a lot more rounded as well. :)

Umbrae said:
Some have great atmosphere - but cannot read the cards.

But then it also stands to reason that some folks have great atmosphere- and CAN read.

And some folks read on a plain old card table and read, while others only feign to do so.

Wasn't it you (I may be mistaken) who said that the magic was in the reader, not the cards or the surroundings?

Umbrae said:
it's okay to disagree with me (it really is)

Oh yes Lord I did laugh out loud at that one. Thanks for the permission. ;)

And I do understand the premise that first and foremost one, especially a novice, should put most effort and energy towards the cards and the cards alone. But I wonder am I the only one who concentrates better when relaxed, and who relaxes better in inviting surroundings?

So anyway, I'll lay this one down.

Vladaria

It may be worth asking "booked" clients if they are scent sensitive.
Nothing is more distracting than having a tickly nose, watery eyes or even a full blown sneezing fit.
An oil burner can soon fill up a room and if it's the wrong type of scent for your client it could ruin their reading...I've been to one or two readings where I had to ask if the reader minded turning off their burner and opening a window ;)
Vlad x

Sheri

I use a camping table that is square and slightly smaller in dimensions than a card table. It breaks down and rolls up to fit nicely in a shoulder bag. It is very important that you are sitting at something that you can keep a relaxed posture at - if you are going to be there for long periods of time. Of course, I could read anywhere in any position once, but I was recently at a fair and read for 5 hours straight. I was appreciating being able to maintain a comfortable position during that time.

I cover my table with a purple table cloth and a 2 yard piece of plush velvet that has a pattern - but only if you look at it from a certain angle. I like it.

I don't have a lot of stuff on my table, but what I have on my table is meaningful only to me and gives me personal strength. Of course, I have a pocket watch for timing, my decks and a clipboard for the sitter to use if they wish, but I also have:

A statue of an owl with baby owl
A small stone sphere and stand that was a gift from Netzach
A small ceramic "Turtle Hero" that my husband got me as a present at an Asian market

I also keep a small lidded box, about 4" on all sides, that I put an assortment of candy in. I use the lid to hold my business cards and have small stones behind them (to keep them standing up). I always offer the sitter a free stone of their choice after the reading.

I like to dress casually in street clothes, but have recently started wearing more business-oriented attire, like blazers with a crisp white tuxedo shirt or off-white shirt, black jeans and black Sketchers. I also don't normally wear makeup but do if I am reading at a fair.

:love: valeria

Grizabella

My favorite personal attire is all black with some striking jewelry. I don't look like a gypsy but I don't mind looking exotic. I'll read in my PJ's if a sitter happens along and I'm not dressed yet, of course. But if I were reading in a beauty salon I'd definitely try to look beautiful---nice makeup and stylish hair. Nice clothing. I'd definitely want to represent the salon well. Even if you don't wear makeup, you can still have a nice hairstyle. Not ripped up blue jeans and hair pulled back sloppily in one of those halfway knotted up buns with hairs sticking out every which way. Of all the "atmospheric" touches you can do, your own appearance is top of the list.

morticia monroe

Grizabella said:
I don't look like a gypsy but I don't mind looking exotic. Of all the "atmospheric" touches you can do, your own appearance is top of the list.

Absolutely agree. As you said, I can read after a mudfight if I must, but I prefer not to.

re-pete-a

morticia monroe said:
Absolutely agree. As you said, I can read after a mudfight if I must, but I prefer not to.

Thats where the small towel comes in,,,,,,,,though in your case a large one........lol!!

Shade

morticia monroe said:
But then it also stands to reason that some folks have great atmosphere- and CAN read.

I agree, it's good to have both talent and fantastic/effective atmosphere. It's not required but it subtracts nothing form my ability to tell a person what the Ace of Cups means.

Cerulean

How about a small library of symbol and art reference books...

...or color....a crystal pictionary--that is, a card deck with colors and crystals or small paperback with colored pictures of the gemstones--maybe even sorted by color in the book and then the names...so if a client says, "I keep seeing the color bright yellow in my dreams or it's popping out at me in your cards..." and you might realize that the client wants to see sunny, happier times and the color yellow might be what he/she needs to stimulate the appropriate energy center or help change their mood.

You might want a small basket where the reading decks go...to be selected from and then wisked away...small vase of flowers is nice, but scent-sensitive people might not like them...although green plants usually are neat...a water dispenser and some paper cups nearby would be a nice touch.

I do not think the tarot table shape matters as much...if the cloths covering or the layout site has a reading cloth, the softness, color and pattern will make an impression.

Reading cloth can be anything from a very clean cotton bandana to soft linen to a silken scarf--my preference is to keep it to natural materials--except I do like rayon in the heat. Some people do well with the shiny, deep-velvet and plush. I saw a Renaissance Faire tarot reading tent--this is the Northern California area of the United States with an amazing atmosphere of a tent. We don't normally have where the plush pillows and accessories made me think of "Lawrence of Arabia-filmlike" atmosphere. The fringe drapery hanging over the round low table, huge floor cushions, plush rug...e-gads! Very attractive...I admired the setting from afar, but only in glimpses...as I was in a long-skirted, laced Faire costume myself, sitting on a hay bale just near the curve of the walking lane...didn't want to be seeming to stare as I was waiting for my husband to arrive and a show to start...

Cerulean

raheli

Well my little question about table height certainly raised a discussion and a half!

Please be assured that the look I am going for is Tasteful, not carnival. think Day Spa rather than metaphysical shop.

I won't be concentrating on the atmosphere during a reading, however I will be happier in my space if I know that it is complete.

I found a 60cm glass top patio table at the hardware and two reception area arm chairs at an ex-office place, they will fit perfectly - thanks for all your input.

Now I need to pad the top of the table so it feels nice, cover it with a cloth and maybe a few throw rugs for the arm chairs.

The oils and music are part of the room as I work with the vibration of oils and guided meditations as well as the tarot. Of course I always ask if people have aversions or medical reasons for not using things.

I'll post a photo once I'm all set up.

Thanks again for your tips and a very interesting discussion.

PS re-pete-a - thanks for checking at bunnings for me!