Zan and BC's Excellent Thoth Adventure: In the beginning....

zan_chan

I hope it isn't terribly declasse to quote from other threads, but this made me chuckle:

Αρσιησισ said:
I actually think the Thoth deck is a less complicated deck than most as it has the Yetziratic correspondences, decans, & titles printed plainly on the cards.

Yeah. What he said :p

zan_chan

Hey Batty - you out there?

Did you see this from that other thread?

Ross G Caldwell said:
If you want to start to play with Thoth, you'll have to memorize only a few things (but do it so thoroughly that you can do it in your sleep).

The Hebrew Alphabet, with their Golden Dawn English names (e.g. "Tzaddi = Fish hook")
The Sephiroth and Paths of the Tree of Life, according to the Golden Dawn.
The Ptolemaic order of the planets
The Zodiac with planetary rulers
The four elements and their equivalence to the Tetragrammaton.

And as Aeon said, all of these with their basic extended "characteristics" - i.e. the elemental assignations of the Zodiac signs, their basic descriptive qualities, etc.

What do you say? I'll race you to memorization...

Bat Chicken

Yeah sure - no sweat! :laugh:

Scion

Wow. Just found this thread and realized y'all aasked several questiosn of me which may have already been answered by perusing other threads...

Mainly I think I can be helpful with some of the astrology stuff, but I don't want to clutter this thread with redundance. Y'all let me know if those questions are still open and I'll give it a go.

BTW, I do have a Greenie. A couple actually. Happy to trade or whatever, BC if you're still looking.

S

Bat Chicken

Scion said:
Wow. Just found this thread and realized y'all aasked several questiosn of me which may have already been answered by perusing other threads...

Mainly I think I can be helpful with some of the astrology stuff, but I don't want to clutter this thread with redundance. Y'all let me know if those questions are still open and I'll give it a go.

BTW, I do have a Greenie. A couple actually. Happy to trade or whatever, BC if you're still looking.

S
We're creating a whole series here, Scion. There is an index of our "Adventure" threads as a sticky at the top of the forum, so I hope you'll pop in when the spirit moves you! :) The tremendous amount of information is overwhelming at times and even a point in the right direction/thread is great. I have often found that is all I need!

I might take you up on that Greenie... Thanks for letting me know! :)

zan_chan

Just bumping this to say that Batty and I are still going VERY, VERY strong. I've taken some time off from posting because I've been doing quite a bit of reading, and now have about 20 books on my reading table waiting to be dived into.

I'm really glad that we took a hiatus from the individual card studies because it's immensely helpful to be building up my background knowledge before continuing forward.

In many ways this is veering very, very far away from being the deck study I expected. My reading is taking me to all kinds of unexpected places and everyday I find myself falling harder and harder for the whole world of Thelema.

Anyway, Batty and I are (hopefully) going to be posting more from here in, using this thread as kind of a study status update before getting back to the individual card threads...

Grigori

zan_chan said:
Just bumping this to say that Batty and I are still going VERY, VERY strong. I've taken some time off from posting because I've been doing quite a bit of reading, and now have about 20 books on my reading table waiting to be dived into.

I'm really glad that we took a hiatus from the individual card studies because it's immensely helpful to be building up my background knowledge before continuing forward.

In many ways this is veering very, very far away from being the deck study I expected. My reading is taking me to all kinds of unexpected places and everyday I find myself falling harder and harder for the whole world of Thelema.

Anyway, Batty and I are (hopefully) going to be posting more from here in, using this thread as kind of a study status update before getting back to the individual card threads...

Well that is hardly fair. That is like being the new kid at school, showing up with the fancy Playstation our parent's are to cheap to buy us, getting us all excited, and then saying "I'm going to go home and play on it by myself until I'm up to level 20, and then you lot can maybe have another look"

COME BACK AND PLAY WITH US YOU PLAYSTATION HOGS!!! :laugh:

Actually this has been a good study group, its spurred me on to get back into some deck study and open up a few books I've not touched in years also. I'm enjoying Banzaf all over again at the moment, which I've not used since I first got the deck. Look forward to sharing some ideas when you guys are back at that point again :)

zan_chan

Grigori said:
Well that is hardly fair. That is like being the new kid at school, showing up with the fancy Playstation our parent's are to cheap to buy us, getting us all excited, and then saying "I'm going to go home and play on it by myself until I'm up to level 20, and then you lot can maybe have another look"

COME BACK AND PLAY WITH US YOU PLAYSTATION HOGS!!!

LOL - alright, alright. I get the picture. I was just feeling like each card, especially the Atu, have SO MUCH to them in terms of backstory that I needed to do my homework before I felt very capable at commenting.

(And to be honest, I always was that kid with the Playstation at home alone for a couple of weeks... :p )

It almost feels like each new book or each comment on the imagery in the cards that I read, rather than moving me closer to understanding, moves me further away from the actual card and pulls me deeper into this web of...everything! It's honestly quite easy to forget that there were ever cards involved in the first place! Do many newbies say the same? They must do, right?

Which Banzhaf are you on - Keywords or Handbook? I've got the Handbook and quite like how...wacky it is! :p

Let's see, here's where the reading has been:

I finished Do What Thou Wilt last week. Then got through Duquette's My Life With The Spirits a few days ago. Yesterday saw the end of Abrahadabra (I know I did it wrong, but now I'm going back and actually doing the exercises. Just tried my first Less Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram the other day. Felt mighty silly but I guess that always happens at first. Next up is trying to find the time and locations for daily Resh...)

What else... oh I read the Tao Te Ching for the first time the other day. I don't quite remember how that came up, but it seemed like relevant background. Yesterday my copy of Magick In Theory and Practice turned up, so I'm looking at that next, but I'm fairly sure its not something that I can read it one go.

Next in line on my reading table are "Awakening Osiris, The Egyptian Book of the Dead", "Raja-Yoga" by Swami Vivekananda, Frawley's "The Real Astrology", and Regardie's "Tree of Life".

I'm all over the place, huh? It's so much fun! :D

Oh and on order is Gunther's "Initiation in the Aeon of the Child", which thorhammer had recommended to me.

(I have VERY long commutes to and from workplaces everyday, so I get in a lot more reading time than most people, I think...) :p

Grigori

Mum, can I go outside and play with my friends?

zan_chan said:
LOL - alright, alright. I get the picture. I was just feeling like each card, especially the Atu, have SO MUCH to them in terms of backstory that I needed to do my homework before I felt very capable at commenting.

True, but the thing I love about someone new to the deck, is they see things and ask questions about stuff I never noticed before. So forgive me for some vicarious searchings, I'm hoping to learn some stuff :D

(And to be honest, I always was that kid with the Playstation at home alone for a couple of weeks... :p )
:laugh:

It almost feels like each new book or each comment on the imagery in the cards that I read, rather than moving me closer to understanding, moves me further away from the actual card and pulls me deeper into this web of...everything! It's honestly quite easy to forget that there were ever cards involved in the first place! Do many newbies say the same? They must do, right?

Not many newbies jump into the details of research that you have. I think its good to remember to read with the cards though, I know I go through periods where I am studying more than reading and sometimes have to force myself to go back to doing a daily card or something simple to maintain that awareness (which helps a lot with the study in turn).

Which Banzhaf are you on - Keywords or Handbook? I've got the Handbook and quite like how...wacky it is! :p

The Handbook. It's actually a really useful book I think for reading, it was the one I first started with (this is pre-Duquette days). He has a lot of his own insights and ideas that I am finding useful again after some study on the tradition behind the deck.

I finished Do What Thou Wilt last week. Then got through Duquette's My Life With The Spirits a few days ago. Yesterday saw the end of Abrahadabra (I know I did it wrong, but now I'm going back and actually doing the exercises. Just tried my first Less Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram the other day. Felt mighty silly but I guess that always happens at first. Next up is trying to find the time and locations for daily Resh...)

Ah nifty :) I just got Abrahadbra recently and got a lot out of it. It's a really good and fairly simple launch into Thelemic magick, and cemented a few things for me. I didn't love his version of the pentagram rituals though, have gone back to the standard with a few modification inspired by that book. I think I am finally reaching somewhere significant with my LBRP practice, at least my vibrating of the names has gotten good. Even when doing a quiet in the middle of the night version I get ringing off the walls which acoustically shouldn't be happening in my space.

What else... oh I read the Tao Te Ching for the first time the other day. I don't quite remember how that came up, but it seemed like relevant background.

I find a lot of taoism in Thelema, and got into the Tao Te Ching for a while also. I think its quite fitting and it often comes up for me in the Book of the Law study threads.

Yesterday my copy of Magick In Theory and Practice turned up, so I'm looking at that next, but I'm fairly sure its not something that I can read it one go.

That may be overly optimistic ;)

Next in line on my reading table are "Awakening Osiris, The Egyptian Book of the Dead", "Raja-Yoga" by Swami Vivekananda,

I"ve not read them, would be especially interested to hear what you think of the Book of the Dead. I have been regular with my yoga practice lately (well, Asana at least). I'd next like to add in some meditation using the cards as I've not done that in quite a while.

Oh and on order is Gunther's "Initiation in the Aeon of the Child", which thorhammer had recommended to me.

Gunther is teaching in Australia in October, I think I may go. It would be interesting to see that kind of content in a seminar format. From the title of the seminar I think its a preview of his next book in that series.

(I have VERY long commutes to and from workplaces everyday, so I get in a lot more reading time than most people, I think...) :p

I miss trains for that very reason :(