Zan and BC's Excellent Thoth Adventure: In the beginning....

thorhammer

Grigori said:
Gunther is teaching in Australia in October, I think I may go. It would be interesting to see that kind of content in a seminar format. From the title of the seminar I think its a preview of his next book in that series.
G., would you maybe start a thread about that? In Spirituality, might be a good place for it - there are a fair few of us and I might even be able to swing the trek if I get enough notice :) (I just *know* it's on the east coast :p)

\m/ Kat

sapienza

zan_chan said:
Next in line on my reading table are "Awakening Osiris, The Egyptian Book of the Dead", "Raja-Yoga" by Swami Vivekananda, Frawley's "The Real Astrology", and Regardie's "Tree of Life".

I'm all over the place, huh? It's so much fun! :D
Beign all over the place is half the fun. :) I actually found Frawley's "The Real Astrology" very helpful in understanding the Thoth. I did find the book frustrating in a lot of ways, but it's great to give a solid overview of the traditional approach to astrology which I think is critical with the Thoth.

Bat Chicken

I have been having connection problems, so I am late to the party here...

But I have been doing the same as Zan - only not so quickly! :laugh: And with 10 instead of 20 books - I haven't the budget and getting this stuff from within Canada is nearly impossible or painfully slow! No Thelemites here?? Need to sell of some stuff... :bugeyed:

One of my efforts has also been to memorize the correspondences as suggested by Ross - the 32 paths, the hebrew alphabet and the astrological correspondences. I want this to be second nature.

I for one, want to bring my efforts closer to the deck again, so I will start to post again soon.

Always Wondering

zan_chan said:
It almost feels like each new book or each comment on the imagery in the cards that I read, rather than moving me closer to understanding, moves me further away from the actual card and pulls me deeper into this web of...everything! It's honestly quite easy to forget that there were ever cards involved in the first place! Do many newbies say the same? They must do, right?

This happens to me quite a bit. When I find myself adrift in the sea of Thoth I go back to the General Characters of the Trumps as They Appear in Use, page 253 BOT. That always seems to reorginze my studies.

Grigori said:
True, but the thing I love about someone new to the deck, is they see things and ask questions about stuff I never noticed before. So forgive me for some vicarious searchings, I'm hoping to learn some stuff.

I agree with Grigori. The more questions, the better.

AW

ravenest

zan_chan said:
Next in line on my reading table are "Awakening Osiris, The Egyptian Book of the Dead"
GREAT! I LUV that book. Its an 'artistic' transliteration but I luv it. For some reason I reckon Normandy Ellis (it her book isnt it?) caught the essence and re-interpreted wonderfully - enjoy! The chapter 'Entering Truth' is mind-blowing.

Flaxen

Hope you don't mind but I might pop in and contribute to these threads. I'm doing an IDS with the Liber T and it's based on Thoth. I'm finding that I'm revisiting my BoT a lot and getting drawn into it all deeper. Would be great to share thoughts with others. :)

Mitzy

Me, too. Count me in.
I probably won't have any great insights as the Thoth is pretty new to me. I have been doing Tarot since I was 19 (oh, back when dirt was new) but I have always been a little scared of Thoth! Not sure why.
I have a boring call center job that leaves me lots of time to read, study and hang out on the forum, so I will join in.
Need to get some books, too. Been making notes on what all to get. I would like a Green deck, I only have a small Thoth here in the states with me. I had a ton of books and two other Thoth decks but I had to leave some stuff behind in Australia. It is in storage and hopefully later this year I can have it all sent over.
Anyway, I am here.
LOL

Grigori

Mitzy said:
I would like a Green deck, I only have a small Thoth here in the states with me.

Welcome Mitzy :thumbsup: The Green box decks are easily available again, but if you want a deck that is green itself you'll need to hit the second hand market. eBay has them regularly, they are not hard to get (though sometimes a bit pricey).

You want the decks with the white box, though some white box ones have an even older version with blue borders and dodgy print qualitiy.

This might help you spot the one you want :)
http://www.tarotgarden.com/library/decks/thothtable.php

Mitzy

Ah, thanks for that. I should have said I want the Green box deck. They have it here at a shop in town, so I will probably pop by and pick it up tomorrow at lunch. They have a couple of books I need to get, too. This little metaphysical shop here in town has great buys on used decks and cards sometimes.