Any thoughts on the Connolly deck ?

Michelle

I have been looking at the Connolly deck and am a bit undecided. I have Rider - Waite (seemed a little too bold) then I purchased the Universal Waite for it's softer coloring.... but I am not crazy about that one either.

I have never actually held the Connolly deck (just viewed it online). Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you !!!

Love and Light,
Michelle

Michelle

OOPS !!! Guess I should have read the entire board before posting.... I just finished reading the previous thread on the Connolly deck. And I must say, I found it very interesting.

Love and Light,
Michelle

divinerguy

Hi Michelle -

There are a lot of decks which are created by people with a particular vision. That's why you'll see decks with common themes. I put the Robin Wood, the Art Nouveau, the Connolly and the Hanson-Roberts into a class of decks.

I feel these decks are designed for the person with gentle sensibilities. Whether it is intended or coincidental, I believe they were all designed "not to offend." Ken and Barbie-ish. Nutra-Sweet. Nice decks - but not balanced by the sometimes unpleasant events in life.

I'm not sure you're going to get really accurate readings with decks that don't have the possibility of negativity. That's also why I always use reversals in my readings.

Personally, I believe that Tarot decks should have images that speak to your mind. Sometimes the message in an image isn't always uncomfortable. Isn't that more reflective of real life?

I think everybody should have a deck that's comfortable, a secondary deck to use when the primary goes cold, a third deck that nobody else sees, and a fourth deck - one that is on the edge. Maybe some of the images are unsettling.

I'd use the uncomfortable deck for 911 situations. When nothing else is working, or your readings just don't make sense. Or maybe when your querent has a strong persona, and needs strong Tarot medicine.

My everyday deck is the Cosmic. My backup is the Rohrig and the Rider-Waite. My 911 deck is the Crowley Thoth. I'm still working on finding my personal deck. but it may be the Voyager or the Adrian.

No matter what - to thine own self be true.

Gary

Michelle

Hi Gary,
I agree with you 100% (different decks for different needs) , and although I am in the "learning" stages of Tarot.... this hit me while reading your post :

I will learn with Rider -Waite
Read mainly with Universal Waite
and use Connollly for sensitive seekers

(Thank you for pointing this out to me !!!!)

Also, I have 4 daughters ages 12, 9, and twins who are 4 they LOVE looking at my cards. I feel that Connolly is wonderful for them to look at and not offensive at all. I do agree that the deck is a bit "goody-goody" but I find it to be beautiful and a great tool for my children to experiment with.

Thanks for your thoughts !! I look forward to more "conversations" with you.
Love and Light,
Michelle

Logiatrix

just got the connolly, and i'm really liking it.
there was a time that i had no interest in it, one way or the other--and i absolutely did NOT like the book(s)...
i'm much better at taking books, etc. with a grain of salt, and trusting my own instincts over what i might find in print. i still believe that is important to know the creator's perspective on her/his deck, but i am not so easily influenced by what is "set in stone" or in a book, as i continue to learn more and gain confidence through experience.
i am using the connolly as a "second deck", my primary deck being the visconti-sforza. the connolly is indeed very gentle and non-threatening, which i am quite appreciating lately!

cj

metaz (03 Jan, 2002 09:50):
just got the connolly, and i'm really liking it.

at one time I was interested in the connolly, but the materialism card struck me as verrry wrong.. (my christian values got in the way), then it was pointed out to me how fitting the card is..Jesus was able to overcome materialism..

I have the book to help learn tarot that goes with the deck..someday, I may actually buy the deck..

I wish you good readings metaz..

cj

DeLani

I feel these decks are designed for the person with gentle sensibilities. Whether it is intended or coincidental, I believe they were all designed "not to offend." Ken and Barbie-ish. Nutra-Sweet. Nice decks - but not balanced by the sometimes unpleasant events in life.
---------------------------------
Personally, I believe that Tarot decks should have images that speak to your mind. Sometimes the message in an image isn't always uncomfortable. Isn't that more reflective of real life?
deck - one that is on the edge. Maybe some of the images are unsettling.
-----------------------------------------

I couldn't agree more; but I would like to point out that the Robin Wood and Hanson-Roberts DO have negative cards in them, just where they should be:
The Devil, The Tower, The Moon (which is sometimes both, or either, or neither), the two, three, five, seven, nine, and ten of swords, the five and ten of wands, the five and eight of cups, and the five of pentacles.
I should know, I read with them all the time! But I can see what you mean about the artwork -- it is generally pretty white-bred upper-middle-class dressed up for a renaissance play. But I like it anyway.
TTFN,
DeLani