Color it yourself Tarot

divinerguy

I'm thinking about getting the BOTA Tarot deck and doing some colorization. Two things popped up:

1. Only the majors have pictures. How do you read majors only?

2. How do you use to color it? Water color, colored pencils?

Gary

faunabay

I'd like to know also. I've got the Ravenswood Eastern deck - got it specifically to color in. Went out and got some colored pencils and they don't color very well on the cards. The card stock is too shiny ???? (even though it's not coated)
Doesn't someone else have this deck? Mojo maybe???? Anyway whoever does - how did you color them in?
Thanks for bringing this up divinerguy. These cards have been sitting on my shelf for quite a few months because I don't know what I'm doing. LOL It'd be nice to start again.

Cocobird5

I have the BOTA deck.

The cards are very large, so I doubt if I would be able to read with them. I bought them mainly to use as a learning tool.

My BOTA deck came with a set of colored pencils. They are not great, but they work. I also have bunches of other colored pencils from rubber stamping, so I'm using my Prismacolor set.

Sue

Major Tom

Quote:divinerguy (30 Jan, 2002 04:49):
I'm thinking about getting the BOTA Tarot deck and doing some colorization. Two things popped up:

1. Only the majors have pictures. How do you read majors only?

2. How do you use to color it? Water color, colored pencils?

Gary

Gary - this is a really great thing to do - I coloured in the BOTA deck nearly 20 years ago and still have the deck as a treasured possession.

I'll try to answer your questions in order:

1. You read the same way as you do with all the cards - except you only use the 22 cards. (The BOTA do not believe in reading the cards - it's frivolous.) I've read with just the majors for many years - makes for a rather intense reading! :D

2. You can colour them with whatever media you're most comfortable with. I used the Aquarelle coloured pencils - you know - draws like a coloured pencils but then works with a water colour brush and water? Pastels would work - Scan them into your computer and use a paint programme...hmmm...might have to try that myself. }>

Faunabay - It is well worthwhile to invest in a good set of coloured pencils - some of those designed for children are rather hard leaded and that could have been the problem...

Liliana

someone on a tarot list im on said he did bota with a little watercolor set, im thinking of getting a book of chaos deck to color to help my studies, probably with colored pencils

Strange2

Here's a page with black and white images of the Rider-Waite major arcana, that you could print out and color:

http://www.private.org.il/RWS/RWS.html

kayne

That's a great link Strange2. The images are of excellent quality...
It says they are copy right free? I wonder how that works - who owns the copyright for RW?

:cool: K

Major Tom

Quote:kayne (30 Jan, 2002 14:11):
That's a great link Strange2. The images are of excellent quality...
It says they are copy right free? I wonder how that works - who owns the copyright for RW?

:cool: K

I echo this - it really is a great link Strange2.

My copies of the deck have copyright 1971 by US Games. Doesn't copyright last for 25 years renewable? Still, I don't think we'll get in trouble for personal use of the images. }>

If US Games want to go after anyone - they'd go after the owner of the link...

divinerguy

Some of you may know that I'm a California lawyer. I don't do copyright stuff, but basically, its a changing area of law. Copyrights last 75 years after the death of the author.

The Colman-Smith images themselves were never copyrighted. The US Games copyright in 1971 is for the colorization, the font and the name "Rider Tarot."

That's one reason why you see lots of Rider-Waite clones.

Gary

catlin

Ehmm, I also wanted to print them out but the technical problem is that I can oly print them on a printer with A4 office paper so there are some cards missing. How can I change it? I usually get the first 2 cards full and the rest is cut off.