Coming back around to Thoth

Mallah

I'm about to go buy the Thoth Deck.

I haven't owned one in about 20 years, but find that my own preferences in decks are now leading me that way again. This will allow me to learn the decans, and more about Crowley and Golden Dawn esoteric stuff.

I studied Kaballah early on in my tarot work, and it has profoundly effected me. I know less about the astrological parts, but want to learn that stuff. And the color theory.

One thing that's interesting is that as I read stuff like the Book of Thoth it's not all greek to me...I seem to get maybe 50% of what's being said (maybe I'm exaggerating, and 20 years down the road I'll think I knew nothing at this point.) Point is my work with the cards and Kabbalah is opening me and I'm learning it anyway.

So anyway the time's come for me to take it all on again...and I have a question...

In going out to the local Metaphysical Bookstore, where they have the deck in Large, Medium and Small, will I be happy with the big one? I had an edition at one time that was the biggest deck I owned...but it was NOT "THE BIG ONE". I'm wondering if the Thoth Deck is nice when it's big, or does it just get grainy? Will I see more in the art?

Zephyros

The originals were large, painting-like in size, so I don't think it would get grainy, I think you would see more in the artwork. At least, I do when I look at a scanned version on my tablet. However, I wouldn't trade my "normal" sized version for anything, I like taking it out at odd moments from my bag and the big version is too big to carry around.

Maskelyne

The larger deck does have more detail, and shows the artwork to better advantage. It's a bit bulky, but not unmanageable. I trimmed one and the resulting deck is a very handy size. Plus the images really come alive when liberated from their frames and titles.

Mallah

So I went by the metaphysical bookstore; but I'm going to have to wait till payday... or at least till I pick up a few more bucks.

They had it in 3 sizes....babybear (pocketsize, about 2.5 by 3.5in)
motherbear (the size i had before...I think of it as "standard" for Thoth...probably about 4x6in ???)
and papabear...which looked much bigger.

I'll probably get motherbear; and if I stick with it, pop for a big one.

Yeah, Trimming is my plan...I always trim off obnoxious borders, and I already have the keywords in my head (though I try to forget them) and the hebrew letter/astrological correspondences.

Except for the decan...some of which i donm't know yet, but I sort of like having them there on the card. I'm looking forward to getting one. I hate to have to wait, I'm such a little kid at times!

ravenest

get a big one for studying the deck and artwork and getting a close look at all those little symbols and things AND a small deck to carry around - handy.

(no ... I dont get a % on Thoth sales.)

Grigori

As Clos said the originals are larger poster card sized drawings, so have been shrunk substantially for even the largest Thoth. I think the images are best on the larger size, but they may be a bit big from some hands. My personal favourite deck is a large one with the border trimmed off, but for first studying the deck I would recommend a large deck with the border left on. The medium is fine though, the images are not too shrunken and they are a nice manageable size. The mini is quite small, I prefer something bigger, but have one I use when I want something really portable. I wouldn't have liked to have learnt on it though.

Richard

I like the medium Thoth. Large enough to see the details; small enough to be manageable. I gave away my small Thoth. It's okay for someone with really good eyesight, but it's not for me.

Zephyros

I think that much in the way of study of the deck is independant of the deck itself, as as much importance is given to structure as to the actual symbolism on the cards. Kabbalistically, for instance. However, I guess that when I get to analysis of the colors used (maybe ten or twenty years from now :)) I'll need a larger deck. So, you don't have to decide an end-all for now.

Le Fanu

As Clos said the originals are larger poster card sized drawings, so have been shrunk substantially for even the largest Thoth. I think the images are best on the larger size, but they may be a bit big from some hands. My personal favourite deck is a large one with the border trimmed off, but for first studying the deck I would recommend a large deck with the border left on.
Agreed. For someone who is beginning and has that trimming urge, the cards have symbols next to the titles so I'd say it was better to keep them for the moment. Of course you'll need all sizes at some point! Big for studying with, middle for reading with and small for carrying out and about and discreetly pondering when you've got a minute. I love the Verlag- Kongisfurt mini (which is smaller than the pocket) in its lovely gold box for looking at when I have a minute in a café or on the train...

But for studying, I'd say big is much nicer.

Mallah

Agreed. For someone who is beginning and has that trimming urge, the cards have symbols next to the titles so I'd say it was better to keep them for the moment.

Years ago I took the B.O.T.A. courses so I've already got the hebrew letters memorized; long ago...and the sign/planet. I'm glad that the decan is worked into the art it'self, because i DON'T have that part memorized, and that's the part I'm really looking forward to digging into.

I like the fact that while the B.O.T.A. information remains 'private', the in-depth information on the Thoth is readily available. What I've found is that, even though I'm not enrolled in an orginization/school, the spirit will not be denied, and has been at work, faithfully, on the inside...and when, for whatever reason, I did not have access to study materials, I was being "tutored" on the inner planes. While there's much to be said for structure and formal course of study (just ask the Hierophant!), I find that the inner, upward path will not be denied....once you have the basics of tarot and Kabbalah, they won't let you go...they continue to work on you, in you, over the years, even when you are distracted, and focused on other things. Indeed, these inner EXPERIENCES are quite probably more significant/permanent than book learning...for the book learning just accumulates in your brain, and remains as meaningless knowledge, until the experiences illuminate them. Or sometimes it happens the other way around...I'll have had an experience and then come to an explanation/description of it in some course of study.

For some, it might be sufficient to have the experiences...that's what makes it all real, all significant, anyhow....but for me, I like to have a roadmap...and that's the Kabbalah, alchemy, the Tarot. The Map is not the Scenery, however...and sometimes it becomes a habit to "stay home enjoying my maps" intead of going out and diving into the experiences!