Do you have a religion?

chongjasmine

I am a christian and sometimes, Christianity can be quite harsh toward tarot cards. What about you? Do you have a religion, and does it oppose the tarot cards?

Annabelle

I have no religious affiliation.

I serve the Goddess, primarily in her aspects as Diana and as Isis.

I practice spell work, at times.

My spiritual beliefs are not in conflict with using tarot cards.

If you are concerned about some of the imagery you see in tarot cards being in conflict with your religious beliefs, bear in mind that there are many hundreds of decks out there and there's something to suit just about everyone.

If you are concerned about the practice of divination being in conflict with your religious beliefs, bear in mind that tarot cards can be used for many other purposes than divining the future. You can use them for personal insight and growth, amongst other things.

Zephyros

I am culturally and ethnically Jewish, but do not believe in Judaism. I subscribe to the ideas of Thelema, but do not consider myself a Thelemite. I am attempting to be a budding Ceremonial Magician, but am usually too lazy and undisciplined to practice. I tell my fortunes with pretty pictures, but I don't believe they work.

Ultimately, I belong to the religion of Coffee, and practice it without fail, every morning, and I take time several times a day to reaffirm my faith in Coffee.

Padma

Great answer, Annabelle!

I think that many religions are afraid of other, threatening ideas entering the heads of their followers, so they try to make anything that scares them be a horrible thing, to stop people from having new ideas, and to keep them focused on the religion in question.

I grew up a Catholic, but am no longer part of the church scene. I retain my love and respect for the Mother aspect of the goddess, which includes Mary, as well as Isis, and others.

I lead a peaceful and loving life, trying to help others, and my tarot cards are tools that enable me to help. Therefore, it is hard for me to see them as dark. Quite the contrary - they shed light on so many questions and answers!

Good luck! And don't be afraid of the light :love:

edited by me :)

Chiska

Moderator Note ~ Reminder of Focus

This is an awesome discussion! I just have to ask that it not veer too much into talk about tarot, if it does, it will have to move to another part of the forum where discussion of the relationship between tarot and religion belong.

Allow me to clarify - by tarot discussion I mean: deck recommendations, discussion on imagery, etc. It would be perfectly acceptable to explain how/if tarot fits into your religion/spirituality but not discuss the mechanics of tarot beyond that.

Spirituality Forum is concerned with the journey and questions that arise along the way and not so much about the cards. But if a little leaks in here and there, that is okay, because, really, for some people, there is a great deal of spirituality and religion in those cards!

Chiska,

ravenest

I am culturally and ethnically Jewish, but do not believe in Judaism. I subscribe to the ideas of Thelema, but do not consider myself a Thelemite. I am attempting to be a budding Ceremonial Magician, but am usually too lazy and undisciplined to practice. I tell my fortunes with pretty pictures, but I don't believe they work.

Ultimately, I belong to the religion of Coffee, and practice it without fail, every morning, and I take time several times a day to reaffirm my faith in Coffee.

Coffeeism ! For a moment there I was thinking Honesty ism ... you had me worried for a minute there I thought religion had been invaded by honesty <phew>

ravenest

Okay ... I will fess up I am a Thelemite and Tarot is PART OF my religion .

But I cant talk about that here ... or not talk about that here, as, either I will be ;

1) Off topic talking about other than tarot

2) Off topic talking about tarot.

Which strangely enough seems to be like my previous childhood foisted -upon- me religion.

A spiritual catch - 22

I am glad Thelema only has one 'Commandmant' (it helps to deflect catch-22's ).

WolfyJames

I sort of grew up Catholic, if I can say that. The entire province of Quebec is in majority French, Latin and Catholic, which is where I live. But I was raised very liberaly. I signed my apostasy form to quit Catholicism. Still unlike other people I've never ever been attacked in any way about tarot here, so that is why I was so shocked at first about people's negative reactions in other countries, I still am. The only reactions I've got so far, and anyone I know here, is curiosity or skepticism.

Now I'm Wiccan and I'm happy about it. I think it's important to love and respect both the God and Goddess equally. Wicca is very open-minded about everything.

AJ

Untethered Heathen. No.