How to do i use the Arthurian tarot?

louisa

I have been interested in Tarot when other people give me readings but for christmas my sister has given me the 'Arthurian' pack!
I have never heard of this before and however many times i read the book i can't get my head around what it is all about..unfortunatly i am best being explained to by having step by step instructions..with this in mind i find the book very confusing and would appreciate someone giving me step by step instructions on what to do with them!!
Thank you louisa

cj

louisa (23 Dec, 2001 00:57):
I have been interested in Tarot when other people give me readings but for christmas my sister has given me the 'Arthurian' pack!

I have the book set..verry beautiful deck..the first thing I would suggest is get a general book on Tarot..or go to learntarot.com. they have an online course. they use the rider waite deck, but all the cards have the same general book meaning.

Good luck and welcome..

cj

Kaz

And look at the forum "Tarot Basics" , that's a book already :) .

Kaz

Melvis

Do you know anything about the Arthurian Legends? If you don't, this deck may be rather difficult for you to use.

If you know something about the legends but need to brush up on them, I did find a website that reviews many of the King Arthur websites that are out there. It has several categories, such as "General Sources," "History and Archaeology," "Arthur," and "Merlin." It tells you a little bit about what kind of information each of the reviewed sites contains. You can find it here: http://www.legends.dm.net/kingarthur/

I hope this helps! Good luck with the deck!

Peace,

Melvis

northsea

Admittedly, I was first turned-off by the Arthurian tarot because I thought it was just another theme deck that awkwardly fits an unrelated topic into the tarot format (like Lord of the Rings tarot). In actuality, the tarot's origins may be closely related to the Arthurian legends. I highly recommend a Barnes and Noble hardcover bargain book called 'The Holy Grail' by Malcolm Godwin. It explains the Arthurian legend from three different vantage points: Celtic paganism, Celtic Christianity, and Alchemy. It includes some insights on the tarot, and has tarot card assignments that correspond to the Arthurian deck more closely than any other Celtic/Arthurian deck I know of.
Now to answer your question. :) The easiest way to learn about them step-by-step is to look at the Tarot Basics section on aeclectic to learn the card meanings (or read 'Tarot' by Herbin and Donaldson). Then study/use the Celtic Cross layout which is perfect for this deck. A good daily layout is the Body-Mind-Spirit three card spread (discussed in Mary Greer's 'Tarot for Your Self'). Shuffle the deck. Lay out three cards left to right. Anyhow, going to see 'Lord of the Rings' now. Best wishes.

Jewel

Great advice so far! I would like to add the recommendation to purchase the work book "Tarot for Yourself" by Mary Greer which Tommy mentioned. Fabulous learning tool!

Love & Light,

northsea

Another great resource for info on Arthurian legend is right here on aeclectic, just click-on 'medieval' at the intro-page.
:)