I&#39m new! Which of these decks should I choose?

Summerdream

Hi! I have bought tarot card decks in the past but after opening them have found out they weren't the ones for me! After studying the pictures and reading reviews of tarot cards these are the ones I seem most interested in:
Art Nouveau
Deva
Gendron
Osha-Zen
I like the minor arcana to have picture meanings instead of (exp. a picture of 7 pectacles). I realize the deva deck doesn't have the picture meanings but I have used it for readings before and like it.
I also want a deck that can be used for all aspects like (love, family, career, finances, etc.) not just one aspect.
Therefore, which of these decks do you think would be a good set to get me started? If you have another suggestion for a deck that is like the ones above and I may of missed please let me know about that one too.

rostie

hello,

i'm new to tarot also. i'm just a member since a month but i like it here very much so i hope you do to.

about the decks you proposed: gendron is very beautifull and has 5 stars here but i don't know anything about it,
osho zen i must say i bought it today and it's really astonishing. almost everyone here recommended it and it was talking to me very much so i bought it. i can't wait for working with it. so much help i can't give.
about osho zen tarot is told that it's more for personal work, and for the here and now not like other tarotdecks for predict the future. it's more to understand your inner voice. but more i can't say about it i have to try it first for myself but i already feel connected with it, it's very vibrant. and what also very helpfull is that there is a booklet with the explanation and a commentary by every card and also a list of the symbols (with explanation) used in the deck. even if you will choose another one i think you definatly will buy one on a day, this is one of those decks you just must have.
so it's up to you what you want from a deck, osho zen is not really a traditional deck.

i hope i have helped you a little bit and hope you will find one that really speaks to you and helps you on your path.

with love,

rostie.

rostie

oh, another thing:

on www.wicce.com they have really good reviews of decks you certainly have to look there to. i think all the decks you have listed above you can find on this site.

rostie.

Summerdream

I found the information in that website quite helpful. It seems like maybe I need a more tradional set like Rider Waite to start with. Seems even though they don't look as exciting as the others they are the easiest to learn the basics from. I definately want Osha-Zen cards though!!

Scorpion

Hi, Momof3Girls!

First of all, as a mere stepmum to three boys, I have to ask - how do you do it?!

Well, you're going to find that everybody has their favourite and they're all different!

I'm a particular fan of Osho-Zen: as soon as I saw it I felt it was "talking" to me. I do use it for readings for others and people are always surprised at how clear and accurate they are: they can almost do their own readings! I tend to use it when I want to get to the heart of the matter quickly.

It's true that the Rider Waite has a mass of material written for it, but it didn't inspire me to study seriously. The nearest decks I've got to it are the Spiral Tarot and the Goddess Tarot. Other people will doubtless direct you to other examples of RW "clone" decks.

I'll be interested to see the views on the other decks you mentioned, which I have no experience of.

Briarfoote

If you are considering the Art Nouveau deck, you might want to check into a deck called:
Tarocchi Art Nouveau by Castelli (Tarot Art Nouveau)
I am very intrigued by this deck. You can find more about it at:
www.wicce.com/primavera.html

Maybe hard to find in the US just yet.
Good luck in your search. Let us know how it is going.

truthsayer

i like the art nouveau tarot by brian williams very much. there's another one that's the tarot of art nouveau and i like that one, too. hope to get it eventually!i'm not a gendron or osho zen fan. if you want a standard deck to help you get started but don't like the original rws then try the universal waite with art by mary hanson-roberts, the mary hanson-roberts deck(yes, i really like her stuff!), the robin wood for a more pagan look, or the nigel jackson.

if you like the look of the deva then you may like the motherpeace deck. it just depends on what you are looking for. i'd suggest a standard deck and then one that really attracts you to get started. that way you'll have have the standard to help you follow tarot literature but your own special deck to learn to do your own thing with.

remember there are no perfect decks out there. just decks that are perfect choices for you. you can be pragmatic or romantic but in the end you'll need to study the cards to be a reader. the world's best pots and pans won't make me a cook but practice will. you can't buy the joys of expereince.

divinerguy

Hi Mom,

I know that everyone says to start with the Rider-Waite. I echo it for purely practical reasons. There are hundreds of books, some of them very compact, some inexpensive, which all use the RW illustrations.

Its like trying to learn computers but not wanting to use Microsoft products. You can, of course, but its not as convenient.

If you choose to learn with a non-RW deck, pick a deck that is reasonably mainstream in its naming of cards and suits. Some decks use suits such as flames, or add cards, or change the names of Kings and Queens to Fathers and Mothers. You can learn on these decks, but you'll require adjustment later on down the road when you get a different deck.

My two cents.

Gary

Summerdream

You've all given me some good advice and here's what I think I'll do. I think initially I'll purchase RW or Universal RW to study with and then I'll eventually treat myself to one of those other decks. Should I buy RW used or new or would it make much of a difference?
The decks that I have bought myself in the past are the Golden Dawn Ritual Tarot by Cicero (which has never appealed to me much) and the Power Deck by Lynn Andrews.

arizonagirl

Putting in my 2 cents worth.. .the Universal Rider is a bit easier on the eyes. I like to get my cards new. They don't have any negative energy from the previous user.