The latest Green Box Thoth; some observations

Le Fanu

I was in a shop yesterday and I saw the latest large Green Box Thoth, the one which disappeared briefly at the end of last year. Remember when amazon etc didn't have it in stock and people worried that it might be OOP?

Well I saw a few copies in a bookshop yesterday (I hadn't seen it here for ages either) and as the box looked a bit different I thought I'd buy one and record my thoughts here. No idea why, although maybe someone somewhere will find it interesting in terms of editions. Because I think this is a new printing.

My other large Green Box was bought about two or there years ago. It has the Two of Disks on the front of the box and on the back, the O.T.O logo-thingy plus a couple of small cards (The Wheel of Fortune and The Sun). On the lid it has written; Printed in Belgium, Samuel Weiser Inc and a York Beach address. The ISBN is ...0-87728-452-0.

The one I bought yesterday has a noticably darker Two of Disks (particularly at the top of the box, behind the words THOTH in white. Interesting detail below the Two of Disks; big letters; U.S GAMES SYSTEMS INC. The Weiser logo (an ankh) on the side of the box has given way to the US Games logo. The ISBN in different; it is ...13-978-0-913866-15-6 and another one; ...0-913886-15-6. It has a copyright reference on the box; 1978, 1988, 2006. The back of the box has a full size image of The Chariot.

Interestingly, I remember, when I opened my previous large Green Box, the shrink wrap had a little gold AG Muller sticker. This was noticably absent on the one I bought yesterday.

The cardstock seems noticably thinner on the one I bought yesterday and there is a definite difference in the colouring. A scan wouldn't detect it. I notice it in the Emperor (a paler orange rather than fiery red), Magus, High Priestess and a few others. The HP is really quite washed out and bit green rather than the lunar blue of the other edition. The green on the Fool's tunic is slightly paler too.

Just observations for those who are interested. I feel it is a new print run...

Grigori

Thanks for sharing Le Fanu. I saw someone post recently that they didn't like the card stock as it was so thin, so perhaps this new version is becoming widely spread. Shame if it's going to be thin in a "poor quality" way.

Stormdancer

Le Fanu said:
The cardstock seems noticably thinner on the one I bought yesterday and there is a definite difference in the colouring. A scan wouldn't detect it. I notice it in the Emperor (a paler orange rather than fiery red), Magus, High Priestess and a few others. The HP is really quite washed out and bit green rather than the lunar blue of the other edition. The green on the Fool's tunic is slightly paler too.

Just observations for those who are interested. I feel it is a new print run...

OH NO!!! :( Are my colors wrong??? This is the deck I have...just bought it a month or 2 ago. The card stock is ok to me, but I don't have another to compare.

Grigori

I'm glad to hear you're happy with the cardstock stormy, hopefully that means it's a case of "different" and not "flimsy". I wouldn't worry about the colors being slightly different, the Thoth has had more variations than a hypercolor t-shirt on an overheated penguin in winter ;) Every prin is a tad different, which is why I now have 8 versions LOL

Apparently the Urania s the most accurate to the original, and it's nothing at all like any of the others :D

Stormdancer

Grigori said:
more variations than a hypercolor t-shirt on an overheated penguin in winter ;)
UM...ok??? :bugeyed:
Grigori said:
Every print is a tad different, which is why I now have 8 versions LOL
Rut Roh...Shameless enabling :love:

Grigori said:
Apparently the Urania s the most accurate to the original, and it's nothing at all like any of the others :D
And so this doesn't mess with the whole "color" stuff I'm hoping to learn in the next decade or so?? Do you have one you like more than the others?
OH... nevermind...that's off topic :angel:

Seriously though, thanks for reassuring me Grigori! I got a wee bit freaked, but I'm all better now :D

gregory

If by the Urania you mean the new Konigsfurt one - I don't care if it's TRUE to the original - it is still a bit washed out, IMHO :)

(I too have many variants. Oh for a complete greenie as green as my greenest :D)

DaisyDragonfly

This is the version I have. I like the cardstock very much: it is thin, but it feels durable and, uh, solid to the touch. Satiny. Satisfying.

The 13 and 10 digit ISBNs are slightly different, with the 10-digit ending -156, and the 13-digit ending in -153.

But all this talk of the colours being slightly different... I'd made up my mind that I would have only one copy, would only need one copy. I will not be swayed into buying another...

:bugeyed:

*fingers twitch at Ebay link*

Lillie

Unless someone has seen the original paintings I'm not sure how anyone can say what the colours should be.

And even if they did see the originals then who can say that the colours have not changed over the last 75 years...

Stormdancer

Le Fanu said:
It has a copyright reference on the box; 1978, 1988, 2006.
Now that I'm awake and crap my dates are different...1978, 1983, & 2006
Le Fanu said:
I notice it in the Emperor (a paler orange rather than fiery red), Magus, High Priestess and a few others. The HP is really quite washed out and bit green rather than the lunar blue of the other edition. The green on the Fool's tunic is slightly paler too.

So the older Large version you have has these brighter colors? I'd like to see that "lunar blue" version of the HP