The Moon as obligation?

beekie

My boyfriend invited me to have dinner with his parents this weekend. We have been together for a year and this is the first time we're doing this! They live out of town so the opportunity doesn't come up often.

While I'm super excited, I can't tell if he invited me because he felt obligated (we've been having issues lately) or if he genuinely wants them to meet me.

I asked my deck "was I invited out of obligation, or does he genuinely want me to meet his parents?"

The Moon

What i got from this card was that the dogs/ wolves howling as a sort of instinctive motion. It made me think that yes, he wants me to meet his parents but perhaps more along the lines of "this is what i'm supposed to do" rather than "i really want them to meet her!". I feel like there might be a bigger message here being a Major. Am I just being insecure and questioning something I shouldn't be?

Cynthia_H

My boyfriend invited me to have dinner with his parents this weekend. We have been together for a year and this is the first time we're doing this! They live out of town so the opportunity doesn't come up often.
While I'm super excited, I can't tell if he invited me because he felt obligated (we've been having issues lately) or if he genuinely wants them to meet me.
I asked my deck "was I invited out of obligation, or does he genuinely want me to meet his parents?"
The Moon
What i got from this card was that the dogs/ wolves howling as a sort of instinctive motion. It made me think that yes, he wants me to meet his parents but perhaps more along the lines of "this is what i'm supposed to do" rather than "i really want them to meet her!". I feel like there might be a bigger message here being a Major. Am I just being insecure and questioning something I shouldn't be?

Hi beekie

I have a bit of trouble with the question because I feel it is making an assumption as to why your boyfriend has invited you to meet his parents. If rather than assuming he feels obligated for you to meet the parents and just take his inviting you to meet his parents as the natural course of your relationship, I think that the Moon warns you that you are going into dark and unclear territory (no surprise there if you have never met the parents) and you need to be cautious. Rely on your intuition when dealing with them. And because it is a major card as you noted which indicates importance, for the best outcome, it doesn't hurt to get some advance info/background on the folks from your boyfriend going in so you know the best way to navigate your way through the encounter (i.e. avoid any "hot button" topics and focus on areas of their interest).

Just how I see it, bear in mind I am a newbie. Cheers, Cynthia

Maru

Your Moon definition makes sense. Could be the whole crafting the illusion, if his family is into pushing the facade of the perfect family rather than it actually being so. Some people do really believe they are what they portray (see: Reality TV)

It could also be he thinks highly of you that he sees you fitting perfectly with the family, the more dreamier concepts of family. This may be a completely new thing to you, maybe he knows this, and is his way of pushing you out of your comfort zone and showing you there is more to life than the expected. If that makes sense...

beekie

Hi beekie

I have a bit of trouble with the question because I feel it is making an assumption as to why your boyfriend has invited you to meet his parents. If rather than assuming he feels obligated for you to meet the parents and just take his inviting you to meet his parents as the natural course of your relationship, I think that the Moon warns you that you are going into dark and unclear territory (no surprise there if you have never met the parents) and you need to be cautious. Rely on your intuition when dealing with them. And because it is a major card as you noted which indicates importance, for the best outcome, it doesn't hurt to get some advance info/background on the folks from your boyfriend going in so you know the best way to navigate your way through the encounter (i.e. avoid any "hot button" topics and focus on areas of their interest).

Just how I see it, bear in mind I am a newbie. Cheers, Cynthia

Oh wow I didn't even think that this could be pointing out that this is unclear territory for me! While we mention our parents here and there, I really don't know much about them, other than what they do. I like your suggestion on getting some background info. I will be doing that for sure now!

beekie

Your Moon definition makes sense. Could be the whole crafting the illusion, if his family is into pushing the facade of the perfect family rather than it actually being so. Some people do really believe they are what they portray (see: Reality TV)

It could also be he thinks highly of you that he sees you fitting perfectly with the family, the more dreamier concepts of family. This may be a completely new thing to you, maybe he knows this, and is his way of pushing you out of your comfort zone and showing you there is more to life than the expected. If that makes sense...

You bring up an interesting point! Perhaps its his family that is pushing the dinner (maybe through conversation of having this perfect family/ relationship) and maybe not so much him and like you said, he wants to "Craft the illusion". Kind of disheartening, but understandable if family is putting pressure on him

Maru

You bring up an interesting point! Perhaps its his family that is pushing the dinner (maybe through conversation of having this perfect family/ relationship) and maybe not so much him and like you said, he wants to "Craft the illusion". Kind of disheartening, but understandable if family is putting pressure on him

I'm not sure you caught the second possible interpretation as it deviates from the first entirely. The second paragraph of what I wrote may present the situation in a more positive light.

The Moon often describes a situation where you are leaving a comfort zone, so possibly this is him pulling you out of yours.

I also like to think of Moon as sometimes exploring life's "other" possibilities. So for example, if in your self-reads, you commonly see Moon as a "bad" card... that is, it immediately drums up fears and imagined scenarios that create anxiety and other emotional impairments for you, then this could be the bf's "bucking the trend" so to speak of pushing you to confront your fears more directly. He may really think this meeting will have a positive outcome. So maybe it will "enhance" your relationship will him, but it's also possible he is trying to reinforce a positive relationship between yourself and your fears. Maybe you have a more cynical view of the nuclear family. He may have what he considers a fairly well-adjusted family background, but because it is foreign to you, it conjures images of fluid/dreamy/unrealistic/fairy-tale-like interpertations...

Another possibility, say you are a social recluse or more anxiety prone or maybe you've never had close relationships with family or maybe you've not often been given the distinction of meeting parents without there being some caveat. Perhaps he is trying to bring you out of your shell. Perhaps family is incredibly outgoing and easily accepting, so maybe rather than assuming the worst, it's possible your bf is trying to "enhance" your life by pushing you towards other possibilities.

Perhaps he feels--contrary maybe to your own belief--that his family will be rather accepting to you and that you would fit right in... so this is an opportunity to more or less create a positive association with these fears rather than a negative. Maybe for you this is too much like a fairytale, crafting an image that doesn't exist, but for him this break from reality may be what the relationship needs to furay into in order to explore what the relationship has to offer and also what other possibiltiies there could be. It could be an emotional trip, a social trip, or even just further exploring the connection you have together since obviously you would be meeting the biological connection to his existing. Either way, with it being a major, I would not understate the significance of it's imagery... he may be giving the relationship a kick in the pants or he may actually feel legitimately you check all the boxes and he sees you fitting in quite well with the "fairy tale" life we all strive for. I don't think that this is necessarily a "bad" thing... sometimes fear and cynicism is what runs people's many people lives and governs their decision making and this is sometimes the minds way of breaking that pattern.

So in short, maybe he is trying to get you to explore "your wild side". Maybe you like to keep your hands on the rails at all times and this is not "obligatory" in the typical sense, but rather he may feel this meeting may be good for you (and him) to approach the relationship under a new (and foreign) life.

It's possible many angles here may actually bare some place in the truth. Maybe this is just a "rite of passage" for your relationship. However, it being the Moon and a multifaceted card in itself, I would strongly consider that to be the case here that nothing here is entirely black and white. It after all thrives in the greys.

arcange

I agree with Maru on the illusion concept. While meeting family everyone involved brings their own baggage. With the moon it looks like everyone is trying to reflect an image that they want to show, not what is clear during the day. Maybe you want to make your own illusion to present them with.

beekie

I'm not sure you caught the second possible interpretation as it deviates from the first entirely. The second paragraph of what I wrote may present the situation in a more positive light.

The Moon often describes a situation where you are leaving a comfort zone, so possibly this is him pulling you out of yours.

I also like to think of Moon as sometimes exploring life's "other" possibilities. So for example, if in your self-reads, you commonly see Moon as a "bad" card... that is, it immediately drums up fears and imagined scenarios that create anxiety and other emotional impairments for you, then this could be the bf's "bucking the trend" so to speak of pushing you to confront your fears more directly. He may really think this meeting will have a positive outcome. So maybe it will "enhance" your relationship will him, but it's also possible he is trying to reinforce a positive relationship between yourself and your fears. Maybe you have a more cynical view of the nuclear family. He may have what he considers a fairly well-adjusted family background, but because it is foreign to you, it conjures images of fluid/dreamy/unrealistic/fairy-tale-like interpertations...

Another possibility, say you are a social recluse or more anxiety prone or maybe you've never had close relationships with family or maybe you've not often been given the distinction of meeting parents without there being some caveat. Perhaps he is trying to bring you out of your shell. Perhaps family is incredibly outgoing and easily accepting, so maybe rather than assuming the worst, it's possible your bf is trying to "enhance" your life by pushing you towards other possibilities.

Perhaps he feels--contrary maybe to your own belief--that his family will be rather accepting to you and that you would fit right in... so this is an opportunity to more or less create a positive association with these fears rather than a negative. Maybe for you this is too much like a fairytale, crafting an image that doesn't exist, but for him this break from reality may be what the relationship needs to furay into in order to explore what the relationship has to offer and also what other possibiltiies there could be. It could be an emotional trip, a social trip, or even just further exploring the connection you have together since obviously you would be meeting the biological connection to his existing. Either way, with it being a major, I would not understate the significance of it's imagery... he may be giving the relationship a kick in the pants or he may actually feel legitimately you check all the boxes and he sees you fitting in quite well with the "fairy tale" life we all strive for. I don't think that this is necessarily a "bad" thing... sometimes fear and cynicism is what runs people's many people lives and governs their decision making and this is sometimes the minds way of breaking that pattern.

So in short, maybe he is trying to get you to explore "your wild side". Maybe you like to keep your hands on the rails at all times and this is not "obligatory" in the typical sense, but rather he may feel this meeting may be good for you (and him) to approach the relationship under a new (and foreign) life.

It's possible many angles here may actually bare some place in the truth. Maybe this is just a "rite of passage" for your relationship. However, it being the Moon and a multifaceted card in itself, I would strongly consider that to be the case here that nothing here is entirely black and white. It after all thrives in the greys.

This was fantastic! And yes, I usually read the Moon as more negative than positive. Last time I was invited to meet someones family was YEARS ago, so this was always a weird area for me to be in, in future relationships. So you pointed out something very interesting! He may very well be challenging this fear I had (at an unconscious level, he never knew that I had weird emotions when it came to this). Guys I have dated in the past, their parents are divorced or their family was a mess. With my current bf, his parents are still together and they are all close. That alone is very intimidating.

"for him this break from reality may be what the relationship needs to furay into in order to explore what the relationship has to offer and also what other possibiltiies there could be" this was the biggest home hitter here. I feel we have reached this sort of stagnant state and I feel we are both curious to see if this meeting will indeed enhance anything, and like you said, act as that kick in the pants.

This was super informative and such a great explanation on the many facets of this card!

beekie

With the moon it looks like everyone is trying to reflect an image that they want to show, not what is clear during the day.

This was HUGE! We have been having issues in our relationship. Not fighting but just having trouble in giving what the other person needs. And there was a little part of me that felt like he wanted to portray to his family "this is my great relationship" when in fact there are issues beneath the surface. And this just came to mind, perhaps this meeting is helping to draw out those issues even further, to help us determine if and how we address them!

Your suggestion helped get some thoughts moving, thanks!

arcange

I'm glad the suggestion made some sense.