the symbol of the serpent

pseudonim

can anyone say exactly why the serpent represents change? ive read in every mention of the symbol from various sources that the serpent represents change.

now, i dont disagree with the idea, i just dont see the symbolism.

thanks in advance,

pseudonim

Abrac

I think there might be a couple of reasons. One, the serpent's side to side winding motion emulates the ebb and flow of life's changes. And the other is its periodic shedding of skin, representing change from the old to the new. There might be others but those are the two that come to mind.

pseudonim

I think there might be a couple of reasons. One, the serpent's side to side winding motion emulates the ebb and flow of life's changes. And the other is its periodic shedding of skin, representing change from the old to the new. There might be others but those are the two that come to mind.

duh! i feel like a dope for not seeing this rationale. especially the periodic shedding of skin.

thank you for giving me a "why" to a bothersome question,

pseudonim

Abrac

lol...brain freeze. Been there done that. :laugh:

Padma

pseudonim, in some oracular systems, the snake represents a kind of death and rebirth - hence, change - also, a parting of the ways. I also think it has to do with the shedding of the skin thing...

Also, in many oracle systems and throughout history, the snake makes its appearance as a healer and a keeper of the sacred knowledge or wisdom...note that there are two intertwined serpents on the traditional caduceus or symbolic, iconic staff of doctors and nurses in Western medicine. The caduceus is also emblematic of the herald, the bringer of news...which could be related to both wisdom and to change. :) (as well as being related to Mercury). hope that helps!

Eeviee

And the other is its periodic shedding of skin, representing change from the old to the new.

This. The serpant is also linked to kundalini (energy centers through the body) and the Tree of Life due to it's flexible and curvacious ability to shape itself. It is also linked to the concept of infinity, particularly when it is seemingly devouring it's own tail, in a circle. Both of these relate to change, as energy can not be created or destroyed, only change it's form/vibration, etc. "The only thing that's constant in life is change."

Richard

There is also the symbolism of the Scorpio Serpent transforming into the Eagle "through the ecstasy of orgasm." This refers to the transformation of physical love into spiritual love. See Snuffin's Scorpio and the Love Dragon.

Richard

Here is a little excursion into Gnostic thought. According to Gematria (Qabalistic numerology) the Hebrew words Nachash (Serpent) and Messiah are equivalent. In the Garden of Eden, the Nachash attempts to help Adam and Eve by offering Eve the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge (thus elevating them above the animal level). However, this results in the Demiurge (Jehovah) banishing them from the Garden out of fear of their new power. The Nachash later reappears, transformed into the Messiah (Christ), whose mission is to teach humans the way back to Paradise through Enlightenment. He is executed by those who do not understand his mission, the method of execution being the Cross (Tree of Life). The attachment is a representation of both the Nachash on the Tree of Knowledge and the Messiah on the Tree of Life (Cross).

There is also an attachment showing the Serpent having ascended the Sephirotic Tree, as mentioned by Eeviee.

Attachments

• nachash.jpg
    nachash.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 1,687
  • Serpent640.jpg
    Serpent640.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,740

ravenest

From an indiginous Australian perspective; quoting a Bunjulung 'clever man' (shaman) friend,
"I've been biten by just about every snake in this area. When they bight me I start to get sick, but I go and rest and change the poison inside me, then it becomes a medicine, then I have the medicine of that snake."

http://www.ordinaryextraordinary.com.au/2010/11/lewis-walker/

Always Wondering

Crowley on change.
The Universe is Change; every Change is the
effect of an Act of Love; all Acts of Love contain
Pure Joy. Die daily.
Death is the appex of one curve of the snake Life:
behold all opposites as necessary complements,
and rejoice.

I found it helpful to ponder over the Two of Disks and Aeon418's shared thoughts.

It's an example of the economy of the universe. Nothing is ever destroyed, nothing can be lost. Everything merely changes from one state to another state. As soon as you reach the top of the snake you are heading down (Capricorn). But once you reach the bottom, you are on your way back up to the top.(Jupiter). Energy = Matter. Harmonious Change.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1481440&postcount=4

AW