Ukiyoe Tarot

MysticGirl

Hey,

I have been menchining this tarot deck in other posts but since this is the right topic about talking about diffrent tarot decks i would like to know about this one

People have been telling me i shouldent use this tarot deck there just as same as any other tarot deck it has three of cups night of penticals queen of wands and so on, But i just dont see whats the problem it has Japanese pictures on the card
I am a newbie at this ive started doing this last week,
so if anyone here can give me any info on this i epraciate this..
Thanks,

faunabay

I have no idea why someone would tell you not to use that deck! You can have as many decks as you'd like to. (I have around 25 and some people here have many more)

Yes, each deck is similar - they all have the same major and minor arcana cards. BUT.....each deck has their own slant on each card. What I mean is - for example let's look at the 10 of wands and different meanings in different books....
Universal Waite - Excessive pressure, problems soon to be resolved
Robin Wood - Overload, taking on too much
Crowley Thoth - Blocked development, problems with authority
As you can see they all have a little bit of a different meaning, but it's the same card. Then as you begin using the decks you may see even different meanings than what the books say. Each deck speaks to everyone differently.

I love each and every one of my decks. That's why I like having so many. Each has a different personality to me.

Now after I've said all that -- it really is a good idea to pick one deck at first to learn with. THEN you can go on to others. And a Rider Waite type deck seems to be best because there are so many books written about them. But pick the one that draws you. That will be the one you will feel comfortable with -- which will make it easier to learn. When you begin feeling comfortable with the meanings of that one deck then go on to others. But never let anyone tell you that you should only have one deck!!! I say get as many as you can!! I am!!! :) LOL :)

Kiama

When people say that you shouldn't use that deck first, I think they are pointing to the fact that there are better and easier decks to learn from if you're a newbie.

In the end, if the cards speak to you, and you can read well from them, then it the deck fo you. ery reader has thir own special deck whih the feel comf with. Some have Rider Waite, some Robin Wood, some Spiral, sme Crowley Thoth, some Mythic, some this, some that... There are over 600 decks out there to choose from, so have a ball, research lots of different deks, and stick to the one you feel comfy with. Each deck you get will be different: Its like you're getting a different person's opinion on the Tarot with each deck, cuz each deck is creatd by someone different.

Best of luck,

Kiama

Heather

I want this deck so bad! If you have it and are willing to trade, I have Sacred Circle deck/book set. Let me know. :)

OKgirl529@aol.com

~Heather~

Jewel

~Chuckles~ I love Tarot ... if you want the deck get it. That is all I have to say about that! Different decks speak to different people and if that one speaks to you then you should have it. My recommendation is for you to get that deck and a Raider-Waite deck. As you read the books look study the two cards together that will help you find some of the symbolism that is explained in the books. And of course I am sure if you have specific questions about cards you can get those answered here at Aeclectic. The most important thing is that what ever deck you choose that you are comfortable with. I think Faunabay made some really great points!

Love & Light,

fairyhedgehog

Quote:Kiama (27 Dec, 2001 05:23):
There are over 600 decks out there to choose from

Oh no! I'll soon have 6 and I only ever meant to get one. But with 600 to collect how will I ever stop? Where will I put them all? What will my family say when we have more Tarot decks than books? Aaaggghhh!

bec

Hi MysticGirl,

FYU on those who says "you can?t do ..." in Tarot. What do they know anyway.

Yes, I know, there are decks out there so much more suitable for learning how to go about tarot, but if you really think this is the deck for you - i can?t imagine you?ll learn any faster with another deck.

I read with shapeshifter, another deck that differs from the traditional meanings, and i also have the book that goes with it. I take it you have the same "homebase" = deck and book.

One way for you to learn tarot could be to read ALL the threads on Tarot Basics, right here in aeclectic. Go back 180 days and down to the "previous/next page" to be sure you get it all from start.

Thirteen is doing one heck of a job here explaining the cards one-by-one - if you have any questions or inputs don?t hesitate to post them !!

When you have the basic meanings, that will give you an idea of what the cards are about - then you can compare with what the books says specifically about your deck - bringing these 2 together should give you a fair chance on making your own interpret. At this point your meaning overrules both your book and Thirteen at any time :)

First rule in tarot no matter what anyone else is saying is:

It?s all up to you - find your own way, that?s the only way for you ...

Enjoy your journey :)