What&#39s your opinion . . .

JC

. . . of Loki? I've read alot of different stuff on the net, and I'm trying to get a copy of Dumezil's book.

Rhiannon

One big, bad scary dude. Killed his brother. Not a nice guy. God of the sea wasn't he? Part of the (can't think of the D word for the Celtic gods)? Stretching my brain to remember... want to post some stuff to refresh it?

Rhiannon :)

morgane

Is it Tuatha de Danaan you were looking for?
I'm not good in deististics at all but I thought I saw Loki as one of the Norse gods. I'm pretty sure he's mentioned in Wagner's trilogy....

Rhiannon

Yes! Thank you Morgane! Old age is starting to creep in..... can't remember anything anymore. Ummm, what were we talking about again?

Kiama

Maybe your talking of a different Loki, but I thought he was a Norse God. He managed to kill the nicest God, Baldur, he gave birth to an eight legged horse, and had sex with basically every single God and Goddess from the Vanir and Aesir. he was part Frost Giant, and his son was the wolf, Fenrir.

Anyway, I think Loki is great: Very clever indeed. Although he is evil, he loves a good joke, and some of the stuff he does just makes me laugh. He also doesn't bother making excuses for his scummy ways. He's got guts, although he's creepy and slimy and utter nastiness.

Kiama

JC

Rhi- Mannanon Mac Lir is the Irish Celtic god of the sea. Dylan is his Welsh counterpart. Loki is the Norse Trickster God.

Kiama - there seems to be some disagreement as to wether Loki actually DID kill Balder. From what I understand, that version of the myth appears only in Snorri Surrelson(sp?)'s Prose Edda. The only other *Scandinavivan* reference for Balder is a Danish myth in which Holdr kills him on his on over Nanna.

Which is why I asked in the first place: There's absolutely NO consensus on this guy! After going through all the usual research channels, the best statement I could find went somthing like this "A minor Norse deity without whom the whole show would never happen." How minor *is* that?!

I don't have the address, but if anyone else is interested in Loki (or just enjoys hearing a story about the KKK getting trumped), try to find Loki: A Paen in Progress through Yahoo. She has a lot of links to support her veiw.

Rhiannon

You'll all have to forgive me if I get my gods and goddesses mixed up. You mix in too much fiction with too many myths and you get a really creative, but not at all accurate, jumble. Between C.S. Lewis, Asa Drake and others I haven't got a jotun's chance in Hades! Thanks for setting me straight.

Kiama: I love your take on Loki. You gotta respect a guy who's that ballsy, right?

JC

Don't worry about it, Kiama. I've read way too much mythology in the past two weeks myself. Which reminds me of the next thread I want to start . . .

Have either of you, I dunno how to phrase this, *experienced* Loki in your lives, or had a moment which, upon reflection, seemed a bit
Loki-ish? I can't find many Asatruar out my way to ask.

Kiama

Well, I kinda experienced Loki a while back when I was exploring Chaos. I also have an Asatruar friend over in Germany, so I'll write to him and see what he says.

Kiama

PS- It may be a while before I get a reply, so bear with me

JC

Thank you, Kiama, in advance.

I don't really know how my attention focused on Loki. I was reading about how many pagans and Wiccans equated the Hanged Man with Odin, and one night I just remembered "Oh, there's a really great picture of Loki in one of my Sandman comics." So I went and dug it out. It seems I've exhausted all four major bookstores in my town since then, as well as the 'net, in my search for more info. And things have been getting a bit . . . oddish . . . inside me lately. Like when I was going through my morning routine and suddenly started thinking about a pendant I could make - a flame shape with tiny runes inscribed on the back. (The closest I come to wearing jewelry of any kind is a watch from Target.)

Any info your Deutsh friend could give me might be helpful.