wiccan culture help?

fractalgranny

i grew up in germany in the 50s and 60s. a type of hedge witch (we called them "herb witch") was a relatively normal thing, at least in the alps, where i come from. the ppor version of it would be a little old lady with a wicker hamper on her back, and she'd go from house to house and dispense herbs and advice. the better off version would be a sort of traditional naturopath. it was tacitly acknowledged that her knowledge and practices went beyond just knowing about herbs.

and yes, there is a lot of confusion about pagan vs. wiccan vs. witchcraft, not only among people who don't know much but also among others, which is why i sent those links :)

greatdane

Thank you FractalGranny!

I also grew up in the 50's and 60's, but in the US, especially in the 50's, not much I gleaned. I had a danish grandmother and a carpatho-rusyn one. I know they had more common remedies than we see now (women tended to have their own medicine that had been passed down generations even if it was the simple lemon and honey for the throat). But I never learned much of what I think of as Wise Woman Ways. I am interested in natural magic, herbs, potions, without the religion and all the ritual. It is harder to find more re the old ways pre 1800's, at least in a very practical form. I thank you for those links and hope you add more if you have some :).

greatdane

Sounds like we're looking for the same thing, DarkSoul! My big wish would be to find a Wise Woman's journal from a few centuries back! :) ....and of course be able to understand it! I am really just looking for what I think of as natural magic, simple things, potions, herbs.

darksoul

i can completely understand i love having herbs around the roud the house so would like to learn on how to really use them for the greater good so to speak ya know

greatdane

Oh thanks FractalGranny!

I think it's really nice of you to put them here for us. The good thing about the world today, so much info is available, the bad thing, so much is available! It can be hard to find exactly what one is looking for.

darksoul

thank you for all the links have been looking them up throughout the day

Bhavana

One can be any faith and have a love or interest in nature. The spirtual/ritual aspects of wicca never really appealled to me, though I tried to get into it when I was in my late teens and early twenties - back when the internet was young and it was almost impossible to meet other witches. I did manage, but they didn't exactly welcome you with open arms, not the serious ones, anyway. My biggest problem is that I had a hard time identifying with my christian upbringing - in believing in "God"....so it was a little ridiculous to go from not believing in god to having to suddenly believe in all these gods and goddesses. I felt that a lot of the wiccans I met weren't doing anything different, they had just replaced the christian god with the pagan gods. So in spite of the nature loving part of the religion, I just could not relate. Later I met pagans who felt the same way I do, but by then it was no longer important to me, and I don't care at all for what wicca has become the way some practice it today; I guess when you are younger, you really want a group to identify with....but now, I couldn't care less about that. I've settled into my own little thing, partly buddhist, mostly earth based, but still with a lot of the christian ideals I was raised on. If I were going to follow one religion exclusively, it would be buddhism.

There are a lot of great books out there on the pagan religions - libraries carry many today, and you can find tons at bookstores. If you go to sites like Witchvoxx, you can put in your zip code and find groups in your area, most of them are friendly and accept newcomers. I'd do some reading and reach out to your local pagan community, see what you can find. keep and open mind and take your time, there is so much to learn! Good luck on your journey!

fractalgranny

i know what you mean with certain wiccan groups. i know one where the high priest looks just like an anglican priest - i can see how some people would find that attractive but it's not my cup of tea. similar to you, my influences are buddhist, christian and pagan, and i'm happy with that mix. but i think we all respond to and need different sorts of spiritual nourishment - so, hey, whatever works (and ye harm none).