How do you pronnounce Tarot?

ravenest

I've never heard any variations of Tarot pronunciation, but listening to podcasts, I hear people say Seltic Cross instead of Keltic Cross. Seltic Cross sounds like a basketball move to me.

The pronunciation of the initial c in the English words Celt and Celtic in their various meanings can be realised either as /k/ or /s/ (that is, either hard or soft). Both can be justified philologically and both are "correct" in English prescriptive usage.

Although the word originated in an early Continental Celtic language, it came to English via Greek (Keltoi), where it is spelled with a kappa; thus /k/ is the original pronunciation. This was borrowed into Latin (Celtae), where it was likewise pronounced with /k/. However in the transition from Classical Latin to Vulgar Latin and early Romance, this sound shifted to /t?/, a process known as palatalisation, and in French further to /s/. Under French influence, the practice c representing /s/, when used before the vowels "i" and "e," in words of Latin origin became established in English, as for example celestial, cilia, and Cicero. Thus /s/ is the inherited pronunciation in English for these words.

Until the mid-20th century, Celtic was usually pronounced with /s/ in English except by academics, but the pronunciation with /k/ has been gaining ground recently. Following the usage of philologists, /k/ is now almost invariably used with reference to Celtic culture even in non-academic contexts.

However, the /s/ pronunciation remains the most recognised form when it occurs in the names of sports teams, most notably Celtic Football Club and the Boston Celtics basketball team.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Celts

FLizarraga

Well, even if one does consider Tarot; born from Thoth ... that is still a Greek version and incorrect as there is no such Greek God. It is based on ḏḥwty ...or Djehuti .

Any one for a Djehuti reading ? })

Sorry, ravenest, that was my convoluted idea of a joke. It's actually a quote from Will Cuppy's The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody, about how to pronounce "Thutmose."

ravenest

Dang ! Ya got me! And here I was seriously offering Djehuti readings :(

nisaba

That's true, but that umlaut in Köln (Koeln) makes it tricky for non German speakers to pronounce.

Just rhyme it with "pearl"

The vowel-sound in the English word "pearl" is a perfect o-umlaut.