I was so stupid, bought a deck I really wanted scared to use it.

Meemai

When you use something it will get look like it is used. A card might sustain some dammage or get old from the tons of shufling.

I actually pracitced shuffling and still do with my rider waite as that is the cheapest you can get here. But I really got a very nice lunatic tarot set. It is out of print, and I really like it. But I am scared to open it and wonder why I bought it even. As I knew this might happen.

Would like to ask who of you also sometimes has this problem? Do you just keep it in the package? Let me know!

Wendywu

I just use them. Carefully. But looking used is part of what makes a deck yours - a pristine, new deck looks wonderful but it isn't yours in the same way as a deck you've shuffled, looked at, appreciated and loved. If you're worried then make sure you use a spread cloth, wash your hands before you use it and be careful not to have any drinks or food nearby.

If you are still scared to use it - you could consider buying a backup deck?

Seems very sad to just keep it in the box though - doesn't do you any good in the box other than go on a list of things that you own...

Meemai

I just use them. Carefully. But looking used is part of what makes a deck yours - a pristine, new deck looks wonderful but it isn't yours in the same way as a deck you've shuffled, looked at, appreciated and loved. If you're worried then make sure you use a spread cloth, wash your hands before you use it and be careful not to have any drinks or food nearby.

If you are still scared to use it - you could consider buying a backup deck?

Seems very sad to just keep it in the box though - doesn't do you any good in the box other than go on a list of things that you own...

Your right I still have to buy a cloth, I actually was wondering could I just buy a piece of cloth and cut it? I see some that you can buy, but those are very expensive I reckon if I got the base material myself just a piece of black cloth it would be cheaper.

Altena

I agree with Wendywu. If I ever buy a deck and just leave it in the box, it's because I don't feel the same connection to it that I did when looking at it online. I always take them out of the box and look through them though.

Some of my favorite and most-used decks are also out of print, and worth hundreds of dollars. As long as you handle them with care, chances are they'll last for years and years. I bought the Bohemian Gothic Silver edition five years ago. It's been used plenty and is still as good as new.

My general impression is that decks these days are made to be used, shuffled etc. The sturdiness of them is often greater than you'd think, so as long as you don't tear through them or throw them about, you should be able to use them without worrying about how they'll fare.

You could also, as Wendywu suggested, get a backup copy to have just in case. Personally I've never found it necessary, but then I don't normally use my decks every day. If you do, it could be a wise investment.

Sar

I don't care if a deck is OOP if I like to read with it.

flipperjane

Your right I still have to buy a cloth, I actually was wondering could I just buy a piece of cloth and cut it? I see some that you can buy, but those are very expensive I reckon if I got the base material myself just a piece of black cloth it would be cheaper.

You can use what ever you want - in fact I think it has more meaning to choose/make your own cloth. I love Indian prints for example. You might find a beautiful piece of fabric in a fabric shop or a charity shop - it really doesn't matter. For me this has more meaning than a mass produced 'tarot cloth' which was probably very over priced and not particularly special in any way.

Yes a great shame to keep cards in their wrappers/boxes and not use them - they age as we all do and become greater friends because of it. Use your lovely new cards and enjoy them :D

Richard

I have the Lebanese Tarot, number 69 of a limited edition of 100, now OOP. I just handle it carefully. It is a 22 card deck, which is not a convenient thickness for riffle shuffling anyhow (at least not for me). There is no way I could just leave it in the box: I love it so.

HudsonGray

Most of them commercially produced now are very sturdy and difficult to damage. About the only wear I get on them is the edges with a little bit of foxing. Not a lot, just a tiny bit of fraying.

Calcifer

I have a couple of "museum piece" decks - all opened, checked, and periodically "used".
My brother, who doesn't have any interest in tarot at all, bought a 1st Edition Samhain Deck of the Bastard (#77) and has no plans to open it at all - to him it is just an investment. I could cry over that.

Michael

The Happy Squirrel

As Wendywu said, get a back up copy if this is possible :) Keep one in its box or unopened as a collection, use the other as a working deck.

Or, use another deck that you feel more comfortable 'ruining' (as such). I sympathize with you. When I feel the deck I am holding is too precious to me, my energy flow is interrupted. So personally I can't force myself to use a deck if it feels too nice. I will use them once in awhile that is all. Or buy two sets :)