I was so stupid, bought a deck I really wanted scared to use it.

CornissMagorniss

Why would I buy a deck I didn't want to use? I mean really, an "investment" is only worthwhile if I'm thinking of reselling it, and why would I buy it if I wanted to do that?

The Happy Squirrel

Not to invest :) To collect :)

We all have different tendencies :) Just need to share with OP that it is OK whichever way anyone wants to go really :)

raventepes

Sometimes, I buy a deck, simply as a collector's item, and read with it on rare occasion (like my Bohemian Gothic Silver Edition)

And of course, I also have my Rohrig, which is now OOP. Again, I barely use it, and treat it as a collector's item, simply because, while I love it, and could potentially be used as my primary deck, I don't want to damage it.

That's my basic advice. Keep it as a collector's item, if you'd like, and read with it on occasion, perhaps.

Freddie

Use it, but also take good care of it. I recently bought a rare Tarot book by Robin Wood. I am using it, but doing my best to keep it nice.

Freddie

flipperjane

Use it, but also take good care of it. I recently bought a rare Tarot book by Robin Wood. I am using it, but doing my best to keep it nice.

Freddie

I like this. Keeping it real I'd say - no mothballs :)

freyaisunavailable

Don't feel bad or stupid because you wanted it. Now you have it so you can take as long as you like to decide how to proceed.
I feel exactly the same way about my La Corte Dei Tarocchi. I love looking through the cards but they do not seem laminated in any way and I really want to shuffle them but I'm so sure it would damage them and then I'd feel like a jerk. I'm glad I have them, though.

nisaba

When you use something it will get look like it is used. A card might sustain some dammage or get old from the tons of shufling.

I actually pracitced shuffling and still do with my rider waite as that is the cheapest you can get here. But I really got a very nice lunatic tarot set. It is out of print, and I really like it. But I am scared to open it and wonder why I bought it even. As I knew this might happen.

Would like to ask who of you also sometimes has this problem? Do you just keep it in the package? Let me know!

A deck that looks new is a sad, neglected deck. Decks are for shuffling. If you went to see a reader and their deck didn't look used, you'd think twice about having a reading from them. A deck doesn't really step into its beauty and power until it has that used look and feel.

I can't believe the number of people who want their decks to look as if they are straight out of the factory, unloved and unused.

danieljuk

I recently bought a first edition deck of a deck I have always wanted from a kind lovely person on here. I just wanted to own that deck because I thought it would suit me but it was OOP. So this came up and I hadn't planned it and the person sold it to me for a very kind price but on the provision that I actually used the deck and didn't collect it or just sell it on. It was for using.

I use the deck a lot! I am a little scared about it but I am not planning to put it in a glass case or sell it on!

However I have a RWS deck that has been part of my life since 13. It has memories attached and it's starting to get a bit bent up. I am considering *gasp* buying a horrible plastic modern RWS version for more common use.

I think the question you need to think about Meemai is, are you more of a collector or a reader? you could have a museum of decks and once a year get them out to feel with white cotton gloves, or you could use them (but carefully on those more special decks) :)

FLizarraga

I only buy decks I'll use. I don't care if they are OOP or whatever.

That said, I found a brand new Baphomet, and I'm literally scared to death of it... :bugeyed:

nisaba

That said, I found a brand new Baphomet, and I'm literally scared to death of it... :bugeyed:

I'm running a Warm Loving Retirement Home for Evil Decks that Scare Their Owners <grin>.

It's the Locked Wing of the Retirement Home for Unloved, Unused decks. :)