I was so stupid, bought a deck I really wanted scared to use it.

HuskyChariot

A deck that looks new is a sad, neglected deck. Decks are for shuffling. If you went to see a reader and their deck didn't look used, you'd think twice about having a reading from them. A deck doesn't really step into its beauty and power until it has that used look and feel.

I can't believe the number of people who want their decks to look as if they are straight out of the factory, unloved and unused.

I completely agree

EightWands

Personally, my favorite look on decks is the worn tattered look that says this deck has been used, is loved and well-read. That said, resale value goes down with a deck that is used vs "new". So I would only be careful with the deck if you are planning to resell it for profit. Otherwise, enjoy your deck and use it! :)

Also, you can opt to use your deck for only special occasions, making it the "special deck". And you can mix cards up without riffling and bending.

Meemai

Personally, my favorite look on decks is the worn tattered look that says this deck has been used, is loved and well-read. That said, resale value goes down with a deck that is used vs "new". So I would only be careful with the deck if you are planning to resell it for profit. Otherwise, enjoy your deck and use it! :)

Also, you can opt to use your deck for only special occasions, making it the "special deck". And you can mix cards up without riffling and bending.

Hmm I shuffle quite hard, I just I do not know what it is called. I take some from the bottom and then shuffle them on top taking a few cards with my thumb. Sometimes it takes one sometimes it takes more I just push them in. This technique might be quite bad for the cards. My rider waite deck has a great stock and I practice a lot on that. I can shuffle that way with my dominant and non dominant hand now. But sometimes a card jumps out, that is when I lose control. Sadly... The non dominant hand does this a lot of course.

But thanks for all replies. I will open the pack once one of my tarot bags arive.

karen0205

Hmm I shuffle quite hard, I just I do not know what it is called. I take some from the bottom and then shuffle them on top taking a few cards with my thumb. Sometimes it takes one sometimes it takes more I just push them in. This technique might be quite bad for the cards. My rider waite deck has a great stock and I practice a lot on that. I can shuffle that way with my dominant and non dominant hand now. But sometimes a card jumps out, that is when I lose control. Sadly... The non dominant hand does this a lot of course.

But thanks for all replies. I will open the pack once one of my tarot bags arive.

Is the deck currently in print?

Marirowana

When you use something it will get look like it is used. A card might sustain some dammage or get old from the tons of shufling.

Would like to ask who of you also sometimes has this problem? Do you just keep it in the package? Let me know!

Things dat look new always scare me a bit. (Not only tarot cards, but also books, shoes, furniture, anything) I love it when my cards look a bit roughed up, that is an invitation to use it without being blocked by fear of losing it. It reminds me of impermanence, the mortality of the material world, it puts my both feet back on the ground.

If it takes too long before it looks used, I sometimes even speed up the process :D

My advice: just use and enjoy them.

Chiska

Meemai,
Don't feel stupid! I've done the same thing. Now, I am okay with using "valuable, but damaged" decks and have no problem with using tape to patch up cards. It isn't like they will be valuable to anybody but me!! I overpaid for an old Rider deck because it was well-used. I love the markings and creases. Makes me wonder what sort of life the deck had for the last 50+ years! The owner even wrote their name on the inside of the box.

I will use it because it was meant to be used. I even used my very expensive Meyer Sola Busca - and it is not laminated. I make sure my reading area is clean, use a cloth (just a scarf I bought at the thrift store) and make sure my hands are clean and dry. It was made to be used.

Here is my most "used" deck. Between a rambunctious kitty and continual use in the 1990s, this deck remains my absolute favorite. It is so soft and nice to shuffle.

Attachments

• 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 084.jpg
    084.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 76

Meemai

Meemai,
Don't feel stupid! I've done the same thing. Now, I am okay with using "valuable, but damaged" decks and have no problem with using tape to patch up cards. It isn't like they will be valuable to anybody but me!! I overpaid for an old Rider deck because it was well-used. I love the markings and creases. Makes me wonder what sort of life the deck had for the last 50+ years! The owner even wrote their name on the inside of the box.

I will use it because it was meant to be used. I even used my very expensive Meyer Sola Busca - and it is not laminated. I make sure my reading area is clean, use a cloth (just a scarf I bought at the thrift store) and make sure my hands are clean and dry. It was made to be used.

Here is my most "used" deck. Between a rambunctious kitty and continual use in the 1990s, this deck remains my absolute favorite. It is so soft and nice to shuffle.

Wow thanks looks like a well used deck with a history. I understand what your saying, and you might be right. I actually remember the old playing cards me and my parents played cards with. My dad has those cards for a very long time, they started becomming very old. But sometimes I still play games with them, together with my dad nowadays. And my dad and me we never actually bothered to use another set of playing cards but we got a lot of them as freebies, we never bothered to open a pack.

agviz

I even used my very expensive Meyer Sola Busca - and it is not laminated.

How do you shuffle it? I can't seem to manage and I do worry about damaging it.

Chiska

How do you shuffle it? I can't seem to manage and I do worry about damaging it.

Very carefully!

I do NOT riffle shuffle it and it is nearly too large for hand over hand, but I do that long-ways. I also do it gently without smashing the cards down.

It is also too large for me to just mix them up on my small table.

Sometimes, I like to 'shuffle' by taking the cards and laying out 7 cards in a row, and then dealing a card to the top of each pile in order until all cards are gone. It mixes them up and saves wear on cards. Mark Ryan demonstrated that at BATS a few years back.