Pros and Cons Thread #2 - Enabling and De-Enabling

G6

Ludy has been on my wishlist for a month or two now, but I haven't been rushing. I'm not sure if this thread makes me want it more or less. My biggest hold up has been the clown imagery, just now sure how I'd feel seeing them in a reading. I'm not overly creeped out by them, but clowns? Really?

Really there's only one clown and it's a kid dressed as a clown in the 6 of Cups. It's a darker vibe 6 of Cups for sure, but it's not horror movie creepy clowns everywhere in this deck.

ldiddy

Quite encouraging, thanks GoldenVI. I guess I just see him every time I look at the deck.

Yelell

It's a darker vibe 6 of Cups for sure, but it's not horror movie creepy clowns everywhere in this deck.

Is there a deck with horror movie creepy clowns everywhere? ....because now I want one. :mad:

cardwitch

Dame Fortune's Wheel

I'm a big fan of historical tarots and I've been looking for a scenic deck that appeals to my tastes. I read and enjoyed Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot and I think I would like his deck a lot. The only potential drawback is that I'm not sure I like all the yellow in the background of so many of the cards. What do you guys think? Do the colors look good in person? Does the deck read well? Any additional thoughts would also be appreciated :)

dancing_moon

Dame Fortune's Wheel

I have it, and I love it. :) There's quite a lot of yellow, yes, as well as other strong-ish colors, but in real life they look very rich and pleasing to me, almost like medieval stained glass panels. The deck reads very clearly, even bluntly. I found that knowing Etteilla's meanings can be helpful, especially with a few of the more ambiguous images. However, most of them are quite clear as they are.

A great deck overall. I'm so happy I got it. :thumbsup:

cardwitch

I have it, and I love it. :) There's quite a lot of yellow, yes, as well as other strong-ish colors, but in real life they look very rich and pleasing to me, almost like medieval stained glass panels. The deck reads very clearly, even bluntly. I found that knowing Etteilla's meanings can be helpful, especially with a few of the more ambiguous images. However, most of them are quite clear as they are.

A great deck overall. I'm so happy I got it. :thumbsup:

Thank you! I was already pretty set on buying this deck, I just needed that final nudge. I'll brush up on my Etteilla as I wait for my beautiful new deck to arrive :)

holykombucha

Anyone have the Clover Tarot? I adore some of the cards, like the voluptuous breastfeeding Queen of Pentacles. I'm thinking of ordering this week and wanted to check in here first.

RiverRunsDeep

Anyone have the Clover Tarot? I adore some of the cards, like the voluptuous breastfeeding Queen of Pentacles. I'm thinking of ordering this week and wanted to check in here first.

I don't have it myself, but there is a very short thread about it here.

daenys

Just got it. Wow, I don't think I've purchased a new wrapped, right from the factory deck in awhile or ever from Lo Scarabeo, what a treat! Love the packaging and the cellophane wrapped deck. Matte cardstock is nice and at first glance I do like this deck. I haven't done more than look through it at this point, but I can tell it's a keeper. Smart 3 of Swords concept "killing your darlings". I wouldn't let the naked ladies scare you away. :)

ETA: I wish Lo Scarabeo, Lewellyn, U.S. Games etc., would consider doing premium runs with thicker cardstock. I'm sure they could figure out cost of limited editions of this kind in smaller batches that would make sense.

I ended up getting the Ludy Lescot anyway and you're right, the packaging is wonderful. The cards are narrower than I expected. I haven't had the chance to work with it yet, but I actually love the cardstock-- it's got a lovely semi-matte texture that is a pleasure to shuffle.

Funny thing is, so far I enjoy the cheap LWB more than the deck itself!