Tarot As a Means of Self-Discovery: An Exercise in Futility?

PhoenixWriter

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to the Tarot, and I'm not sure how to search for the question I want to ask (what keywords to use, etc.) so I apologize if this issue has come up before.

I've just read Ly DeAngeles' "Tarot Theory and Practice" and I found it to be a satisfying academic read on what I would consider "Advanced Tarot" (then again, I'm so fresh, anything is advanced to me at this point), but one thing struck me as discouraging. In her book, DeAngeles discusses the waste of time trying to read yourself is and even warns against reading family, close friends, or even someone you've just met and have had an hour-long discussion with.

Also, in practice of daily 3-card draws, she strongly suggests using all the objectivity you posses to keep yourself out of your readings because frankly, there is more going on in the world than you and your little life, at least per DeAngeles on the Tarot.

Now, I understand the need for neutrality. I heard once that neutrality is a psychic's best friend, and while Tarot is something that can be learned by anyone, so can clairvoyance and other skills, if practiced enough. I understand the pitfalls that come with interpreting esoteric messages.

But what about those of us who are deeply emotional? Emotions are my primary form of communication, and before this book, I was so excited by the messages my cards were telling me; the encouragement, the struggle, the victory, the guidance, the Love... my life was reflected in my cards and I felt connected to something really special.

And, the reason I got a deck in the first place was because I felt more comfortable being the recipient of my own inspiration rather than sitting across the table from someone who claimed to know my life (no offense to those who read professionally - I am not opposed to your method, nor do I discredit it - but I do believe that there isn't much that trumps a direct message, and so why go to someone when I can get answers myself?)

I don't even want to look at my deck anymore. I am, frankly, disgusted enough by the notion of neutrality that I could give up the whole endeavor of self-discovery. Emotions are the way I LEARN. How am I supposed to learn anything if I have to remain neutral and if the worst thing I could do for myself is open my deck and ask the cosmos for guidance? Like the Tarot doesn't have time for me or something. What a notion! Our spirit guides always have time for us. Or whatever it is communicating through our decks.

So, what do I do about my practice now?

Hrm, let me rephrase that question so I can take responsibility for myself; what are your opinions on reading your own cards as a means of self-discovery?

I'm not looking for a future. Sure, I'm curious, but what I REALLY want is understanding of the present. The future stuff is sort of a bonus (but more like a distraction in my opinion), but what I truly desire is a way to understand my life.

I hope this post isn't too long. I do try to keep it short!

R

Carla

Ignore the book and use the tarot the way you see fit. It's your deck, and contrary to what she seems to think, it's your world -- and you can use tarot anyway that is meaningful to you, and you don't have to explain yourself to anyone. It doesn't matter what 'qualifications' some writer has (or thinks they have), who cares? Who is she to say you're insignificant in the grand scheme and should leave yourself out of your readings. Bollocks. Do what you like.

It doesn't matter what anyone says or thinks. At the end of the day, tarot is YOUR tool.

Wendywu

Well said Carla!

Having said that, if you're asking yourself questions about why you do stuff, you might need to be as impartial as possible about things like motives for your actions. Otherwise it can be easy to be the hero of your story whereas really, just this once, you were the baddie and your cards are trying to tell you it was all your fault .....

Elendil

Try reading Tarot for Your Self by Mary K. Greer for the opposite standpoint of Ms De Angeles!

:)

Carla

Try reading Tarot for Your Self by Mary K. Greer for the opposite standpoint!

:)

I was just coming back to add this! DEFINITELY get hold of Tarot for Your Self!! xx

DaisyDragonfly

Well said Carla!

Having said that, if you're asking yourself questions about why you do stuff, you might need to be as impartial as possible about things like motives for your actions. Otherwise it can be easy to be the hero of your story whereas really, just this once, you were the baddie and your cards are trying to tell you it was all your fault .....

And this is why tarot is such a very good tool for self-discovery. In the process of using it for daily draws, and other spreads, you will have to develop honesty. Have to, else the cards and their messages go nowhere. And in the process of developing such honesty, you find out an awful lot more about yourself.

There are multiple uses of tarot. It's up to you to decide how you want to use it. You're read DeAngeles'; read five more books and you'll find five more. *shrug* Choose the one that resonates most with you and follow that.

Wendywu

Tarot is my favourite tool for self discovery; I have learned a lot about myself (by no means all of it welcome .....). I used Tarot for Yourself, and the Shadow Work book (Jette) which I worked through over the course of a year. For me, tarot is primarily a tool for self-discovery although I do read for others too.

One author is just one author; there are shelves full of "authorities" out there - each one has their own viewpoint which may or may not make sense to you. A good book - for you - will teach you how to develop your tarot skills in the direction you prefer to use them. A good book for someone else will teach them what they want to learn which may be very different to your preferred use of tarot :)

Argenta

This made me wonder: if we don't know what the cards tell us about our own experiences, how can we claim to know what they mean for anyone else?

tarotbear

I second Carla - IGNORE THE BOOK !!!

If it wasn't for the fact that there was no one else around when we 'got into' tarot, so we had to read for ourselves - we would never have become Tarot readers or enthusiasts!

As far as NOT reading for 'family, close friends, or even someone you've just met' - who the hell else does that leave?

Take that book and use it to dry flowers or something, but stop reading it! It sounds like it will stifle your developement.

Cassandra022

people are different. some say they can't read for themselves at all, even after years/decades of experience. some read only for themselves. there's everything in between. it's about what you want to get from the tarot, and what you find works for you. it's your time, your deck, your life. no book, no matter how well written, knows more about your life and your abilities than you do. if you want to read for yourself, go for it. get a book that focuses on that! (Mary K. Greer has a pretty useful one called "Tarot for Yourself" xD).

I read for myself and for introspection/reflection/self-examination all the time and it works for me and gives me what I want from it. If a book told me otherwise, i would get a different book. lol.