Tarot As a Means of Self-Discovery: An Exercise in Futility?

tarotbear

When I was teaching Tarot classes, it was subtitled 'A Tool For Self-Discovery,' so OBVIOUSLY this would never be a book I would be recommending to my classes!

I find this sentence most curious, though: "Also, in practice of daily 3-card draws, she strongly suggests using all the objectivity you possess to keep yourself out of your readings because frankly, there is more going on in the world than you and your little life, at least per DeAngeles on the Tarot."

"There is more going on in the world than you and your little life." If you said this to everyone who might ask you for a reading...there wouldn't be much reason in being a reader, now, would it? - GET RID OF THE BOOK! LOL!

AJ

blogging my daily draws has introduced me to a me I never knew existed.

Read LOTS of books, take what you want and leave the rest.
Welcome to AT.

vee

Yeah, the "you and your little life" bit is a little insulting, frankly. I don't think the world revolves around any single person, of course, but no life is small. Everyone is complicated in infinite amounts of ways.

Kosjitov

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to the Tarot, and I'm not sure how to search for the question I want to ask (what keywords to use, etc.) so I apologize if this issue has come up before.

I've just read Ly DeAngeles' "Tarot Theory and Practice" and I found it to be a satisfying academic read on what I would consider "Advanced Tarot" (then again, I'm so fresh, anything is advanced to me at this point), but one thing struck me as discouraging. In her book, DeAngeles discusses the waste of time trying to read yourself is and even warns against reading family, close friends, or even someone you've just met and have had an hour-long discussion with.

Also, in practice of daily 3-card draws, she strongly suggests using all the objectivity you posses to keep yourself out of your readings because frankly, there is more going on in the world than you and your little life, at least per DeAngeles on the Tarot.

Now, I understand the need for neutrality. I heard once that neutrality is a psychic's best friend, and while Tarot is something that can be learned by anyone, so can clairvoyance and other skills, if practiced enough. I understand the pitfalls that come with interpreting esoteric messages.

But what about those of us who are deeply emotional? Emotions are my primary form of communication, and before this book, I was so excited by the messages my cards were telling me; the encouragement, the struggle, the victory, the guidance, the Love... my life was reflected in my cards and I felt connected to something really special.

And, the reason I got a deck in the first place was because I felt more comfortable being the recipient of my own inspiration rather than sitting across the table from someone who claimed to know my life (no offense to those who read professionally - I am not opposed to your method, nor do I discredit it - but I do believe that there isn't much that trumps a direct message, and so why go to someone when I can get answers myself?)

I don't even want to look at my deck anymore. I am, frankly, disgusted enough by the notion of neutrality that I could give up the whole endeavor of self-discovery. Emotions are the way I LEARN. How am I supposed to learn anything if I have to remain neutral and if the worst thing I could do for myself is open my deck and ask the cosmos for guidance? Like the Tarot doesn't have time for me or something. What a notion! Our spirit guides always have time for us. Or whatever it is communicating through our decks.

So, what do I do about my practice now?

Hrm, let me rephrase that question so I can take responsibility for myself; what are your opinions on reading your own cards as a means of self-discovery?

I'm not looking for a future. Sure, I'm curious, but what I REALLY want is understanding of the present. The future stuff is sort of a bonus (but more like a distraction in my opinion), but what I truly desire is a way to understand my life.

I hope this post isn't too long. I do try to keep it short!

R

I know too well that feeling of being disgusted and not wanting to pick up your deck, and strangely enough, it was residue from the same book. My advice is to push past it. What should be mentioned is that there is a need for balance between emotion and objectivity; without emotion the reading is devoid of the inspiration and feelings (which we all have!) as a motivator- without objectivity we lose the logic that weaves it all together. You have to keep your feelings at bay when you're reading for friends so you can keep yourself HONEST when relaying what the cards say is more of the sort of example that should be given in regards to "objectivity"

Please take the book with a grain of salt, embrace your deck as YOU SAW IT, with YOUR VISION and FEELINGS, and do what feels right. If nothing else, the myriad of AT readers alone should be proof that books are secondary to how we view our own practice. The may shape and tone it in some regards but it seems almost unanimous that we take what works and throw away what is chaffing or stifling to our process(es).

PhoenixWriter

Wow! What a response!

I intend to read plenty of other books, but this one caught my eye because of the quantum theory chapter in the beginning. I'm taking a class on the correlations of Buddhism and quantum theory and I find parallels in the Tarot as well (and any esoteric practice, for that matter. Science is finally catching up!).

For the past two years I have been delving deeply into the objectivity/emotion balance that must be struck for a satisfying life and let me tell you, the deeper you go, the more terrifying/exhilarating it is. Well, you all know; I don't think there was one post that didn't mention self-discovery.

I thank you for your opinions - I would have arrived at the same conclusion myself eventually. I think I was just surprised at what I read. But, as many of you have said, it's just a book, one of hundreds, and all of them offer something different.

On a personal note, the first spread I ever did literally took my breath away, and within two cards I was a believer. The Tarot for me is an amazing way to know that my life (with all of its twists and turns - and my role as both hero and baddie) is known beyond myself, and the feeling of connectedness I get is what gives me the courage to look inward and learn. How fortunate that so many of us are blessed to know that we're not alone!

Thanks again for your feedback; your wisdom is valued!!

R

Morwenna

I read for myself analytically all the time; I don't want any more predictive readings in my life! There are a number of spreads in books and here on AT that address analysis, of the present, of personality, all sorts of things, and I've been collecting them in a small fat notebook. The ones I've tried work very well.

I too am a basically emotional person so I have an idea where you're coming from. I also know people who claim not to be able to read for themselves, but to each his own. If it works, run with it! I'm forever being whomped upside the head with insights that I should have had but it took a pack of cards to get it through my thick skull... :D

Scibility

But what about those of us who are deeply emotional? Emotions are my primary form of communication, and before this book, I was so excited by the messages my cards were telling me; the encouragement, the struggle, the victory, the guidance, the Love... my life was reflected in my cards and I felt connected to something really special.

Hrm, let me rephrase that question so I can take responsibility for myself; what are your opinions on reading your own cards as a means of self-discovery?

I'm not looking for a future. Sure, I'm curious, but what I REALLY want is understanding of the present. The future stuff is sort of a bonus (but more like a distraction in my opinion), but what I truly desire is a way to understand my life.

This really resonated with me PhoenixWriter. I don't read professionally, and I use the tarot specifically for self guidance and discovery. For better or worse, i also feel my way through life... Like you, i'm not much interested in the future. I find that when I understand myself, and my relation to everything around me (or that I have an influence on); everything else just seems to work itself out well.

The tarot can be invaluable in helping you to balance, focus, and decipher life. Don't give up on it. I've never read this book, but maybe just come up with your own method of working with the cards. There's no right or wrong way.

When I can't remain neutral for myself, sometimes I pull a card on a free app (any will do) to sort of double check my perspective. Many people don't like apps, but they can be helpful if you're using them like this.

I also usually meditate a bit on the cards. Not sleeping with them, just maybe keeping the card you are working on out in plain sight, or nearby, and focusing on it. Even walk away and come back. Sometimes the interpretation becomes quite clear if you take time with it. It's not a quick and fast approach, but I guess neither is the process of self-discovery. Best of Luck to You!

DaisyDragonfly

I also usually meditate a bit on the cards. Not sleeping with them, just maybe keeping the card you are working on out in plain sight, or nearby, and focusing on it.

I take a photograph of the card and set it as wallpaper on my phone. It's good to see it every time I switch on the phone; it helps me internalize the image. Just a nice all-round reminder, too!

rubyalison

I think I asked a similar question when I first started because I had read in a few places about tarot readers not reading for themselves. It discouraged me because the primary person I want to read for is myself, and if/when I read for any friends would just be a bonus. I don't ever plan to read for strangers or publicly.

And likewise I received some very nice supportive responses, and went back to something that is very important in tarot in general - trusting my instincts.

What I have found when reading for myself is this:
- When doing readings where I focus on self-exploration, or just ask generally 'what message does the tarot have for me today', then the cards are a lot more obvious to me in what the message is and the interpretation much easier.
- When doing a predictive reading about a specific event or issue, the cards have been correct, but I don't always understand or see the full message right away and often it will only be by looking back at the reading later can I see what they were really saying. I don't do predictive readings often, but I will still do one every once in a while as a learning experience as much as anything. And if there's a specific issue I really want to know about, then I'll do a couple readings. One may be a predictive reading to think about and reflect upon, knowing that I may not see it all now and will come back to it later. And then I will do a reading where I will ask something like 'how should I approach this right now' or 'what should I be thinking about now' so that it helps me with the issue in a more immediate way.

Best wishes.