Fulgour

hehehehehe

Aeon418 said:
Ask Fulgour. I still can't stop laughing. :laugh:
Don't spit your dummy :laugh: Aeon418!

ravenest

Now now.

Now now boys!

Well Aeon I read the above link and all the posts and it still doesn't explain anything to me about forged Crowley / Harris correspondence.

So: as this is the only reference I have ...

Ross and/or Fulgor what is this about forged Crowley / Harris correspondence?

[LATER] Ah! s'okay I found it. Damn! Now I am going to have to start reading R.W. thread (I've been avoiding it). :(

ravenest

Yeah, I saw that. of course I assumed it was a joke - a Lady don't sweat.
(like the 'Lady' in the Importanance of Being Earnest, that had never seen a spade.)

What's the central refrence for these letters anyway? Are they published in a book? On line somewhere?

{Oh oh, library closing time - getting kicked out}

ravenest

Cheers mate! That'll keep the library printer busy.

{Bill Heidrick ... I should have known !}
R.

rachelcat

IDS Study Post: Once again, all this has probably been covered better elsewhere; I'm just putting it together for studying purposes. Use at your own risk!

Drawn for Monday-Tuesday, January 26-27
Written Friday, January 30, 2009

Adjustment

This is obviously a card of balance. Everything is visually balanced, left to right, top to bottom, colors interchanged, etc. And the woman is literally balanced on the point of the sword. And she IS a balance (scale). She wears feathers, like Maat, the Egyptian goddess of Justice. But that is a strange looking “feather” on her head. How can the it support the metal pans of the scale and the orbs in them and the chains? I think the veil/curtain around the figure is made of feathers, too. Feathers are light but strong. They can lift a large bird like an eagle or stork high into the sky. The touch of karma is light--we might not feel it or see it, but it is always in action!

This goddess is not weighing a heart against a feather, though. She is showing that the end is, if not the same then equivalent to, the beginning. Each ending is a beginning of something else.

She is not blind justice. She has eye holes in her mask.

I had the hardest time understanding the background of this card. BoT and Suffin say she has a throne behind her. I guess it is a kind of platform to which the pyramids with balls on the ends are attached. And she is balanced via the sword point on another ball.

Color is overwhelming in this card. According to Snuffin, they are the colors of the path of Lamed (between Geburah and Tiphareth) in Aziluth and Briah. Well, it certainly makes sense for Adjustment to be related to Tiphareth, the center of the tree on the pillar of balance. I chose aventurine as the crystal for Justice/Adjustment because it is the green of this card. Random crystal books and sites say this about aventurine: visual acuity, decisiveness, balances male and female energies, healing.

Hitting the books: It takes most of the chapter for Crowley to get around to saying the card represents karma. To me this is the most obvious meaning. Karma means action. Every action creates an equal and opposite reaction. Cause and effect. Crowley says the chains are the chains of causation. He even mentions the “butterfly effect”--one change changes the entire universe in some way. He also says that (since the chains are attached to her head?) just a thought could sway the balance one way or another. The “actions” of karma are intentions, thoughts, not the physical actions. If you give a million dollars to charity just to get your picture in the paper, the karma will be commensurate to your intention.

Karma is not “retribution” (although it was translated that way in early translations of Buddhist scriptures), nor a moral force of a personal god or goddess, but a completely impersonal force of nature. (Disagreeing with Crowley, who says nature is not just. I guess he means in a way that humans understand justice. Why do the wicked prosper?) We may not see karma as justice play out (it might do so in private or in another lifetime?), but it is always there!

The books mention that the woman resembles Harlequin, with her patterned tights/skirt and mask, relating her to the Fool. Together they spell AL (God) and LA (Not), being and nothingness, another union of opposites.

Along with the green and blue are the black chains and “pyramids,” black for Saturn, exalted in Libra. I really like the concept of Adjustment--balance only happens in the flow of time. Saturn is the lord of time. Stability in change. Like in an ecosystem, nature keeps things in balance over time. (Earlier posts give me the words I’m looking for: equilibrium and homeostasis!)

Snuffin brings out the sexual references that Crowley hints at. (Very helpful!) “The Woman Satisfied” means that she has changed (in time!) from being the daughter to being the mother by having sex. (Duquette points out the “smirk” of the Woman Satisfied!) Snuffin brings up a great meaning relating this to the Justice concept: Someone or a time of coming of age and being responsible for ones own actions.

Female symbols: Obviously the woman herself and the vesica piscis made by the curtain of feathers.

Male symbols: The sword between her legs and the two spheres together. As others have pointed out, this is the sword of the Ace of Swords, the sword of Thelema. As a phallic symbol, it once again gives us “Love under Will”! Crowley goes on about two witnesses in a court of law TESTifying and two TESTES. Is there an actual etymological connection between these words?

So we’re back to opposites, male and female, and the union of opposites that lead to new life, a baby. Information (genes) are passed on to future generations. Perhaps she gives birth to herself? (She is the mother and the daughter.) With every action we take, we are creating a new future for ourselves.

As a card of the day: I can’t remember what happened on Monday and Tuesday . . . My husband and son had off because school was closed for snow. (Husband teacher, son coach.) Maybe it means I had to go to work because I always say if the subway is running, I’ll be there. Doesn’t give me much snow day wiggle room, huh?

In a reading: Karma. The time has come to take responsibility for your actions! For every action . . . Butterfly effect. You create your own future by what you do with your present.

Always Wondering

I am trying to understand this card better because I have a Libra moon. Especially the part where mean old heavy Saturn is exhalted. From what I understand of Crowley and Saturn, Adjustment cannot not take place without time, but it doesn't matter anyway? I can get lost in that forever. :laugh:

Mostly Crowley just looses me from about paragragh two onward. I know we've talked about the Eld of the All-Father before, but I can't find it.

What does it mean, to be a partner of the Fool?

What is Vesica Piscis?

The one thing that I can say is I always wondered why everyone was so excited about Do what thy wilt, as compared to Love is the Law. Guess that's my Libra moon.

I have more questions if this isn't enough. :laugh:

AW