Adjustment

frac_ture

If you could press the pause button on the Lust card and freeze it at a particular moment, then the Adjustment card would indicate what needs to be done with the reins at that precise moment time.

Wow, thanks so much for this -- I think your statement here is the best and most clear/understandable commentary I've seen yet on the relationship between these two particular cards! I really like it, and will probably keep it in my head as a sort of mnemonic for the relationship from now on!

Aeon418

Here's a different angle from Robert Wang's, The Qabalistic Tarot. (p.191)
The ancients had a concept of "right, truth, law and rectitude" expressed by the single word maat. This originally meant "that which is straight," but came to mean also a rule, a measure of some kind, or a law. Maat was symbolized by the feather, against which either the heart of the deceased or his whole body was weighed. In illustrations, we find this weighing administered by Anubis, and the results recorded by Thoth. Crowley relates both of these Gods to the Nineteenth Path, Strength, which is the balance between Geburah and Chesed. The implication is that the adjustment which takes place on the Twenty-Second Path is administered and recorded through the processes of the Nineteenth Path.
I like that. Although if there is a sticking point it's the fact that I have no idea where Wang gets the attribution of Anubis and Thoth to the 19th path. :confused: Maybe it's hidden away somewhere in the notes to 777.

Quibbles aside I like the image of the Heart being weighed on the 22nd path, while the outcome is administered on the 19th path. The whole scene of the weighing of the heart is symbolic of an ongoing process whereby the heart is weighed against the Truth of the True Will. If the heart is found wanting then an Adjustment has to be made to restore the balance. The lead counter-weights placed on the other side of the scales are of course, Saturn. This is corrective karma. And Saturn in Leo is the 5 of Wands - Strife! :bugeyed:

frac_ture

Quibbles aside I like the image of the Heart being weighed on the 22nd path, while the outcome is administered on the 19th path. The whole scene of the weighing of the heart is symbolic of an ongoing process whereby the heart is weighed against the Truth of the True Will. If the heart is found wanting then an Adjustment has to be made to restore the balance. The lead counter-weights placed on the other side of the scales are of course, Saturn. This is corrective karma. And Saturn in Leo is the 5 of Wands - Strife! :bugeyed:

That's interesting, too, although I have a long way to go with learning the Tree of Life, with reconciling the different schools of thought regarding which cards should be attributed to which pathways, and especially with Egyptian mythology. I have, though, recognized that both of the cards in question here are generally held to correspond with pathways that travel to and from Geburah, which, from what I do gather so far, certainly seems to me like the fitting sphere to be focusing on, and especially with respect to the Adjustment card/concept. No accidents in attributions there, I'm sure!