Another Steampunk deck...

Leikkona

The digital art looks a bit... wonky and amateurish to me, with not greatly integrated collaged elements. I am a lover of digital art and steampunk, but I think I will pass this one, or try it if I find it cheap.

Le Fanu

I could swear the pics I have seen on fb look different to those here at AT. Maybe they did some last minute tweaking.

I'm not into Steampunk particularly but of all the Steampunk decks this one seems the most intriguing, the strangest. I suspect I will buy it as what I have seen has awakened my curiosity.

I quite liked the Llewellyn one when it came out but 6 months, or maybe a year, on it feels a bit - how can I say this? - it seems to have run out of steam as a reading deck. No pun intended. This one may well be a future purchase...

bogiesan

Steampunk is a weird dialect of science fiction. There is no single steampunk world.

Amazon includes a "look inside" feature for John's accompanying book so be sure to open it up. The Matthews have created an entire science fiction world to support and localize their tarot, to give it a reason to exist. If you are familiar with the steampunk universe, which includes role playing and video games and a large selection of graphic novels, you will see similarities and borrowed themes in the Matthews's work. I am sure their marketing plans include gaming stores and I wish them every success.

There are many science fiction and fantasy tarot decks but science fiction--and, to a certain extent, its cousin (or parent) fantasy--is remarkably difficult to get one's arms around in order to create a working tarot deck. If there was an official Star Trek or Star Wars tarot it could not possibly exist if not built to reflect accurately the established mythos. The Tolkien-inspired decks must adhere to the author's original visions. There is no Dune Tarot (although this deck is mentioned in one of the Dune books) but I'd love to see it. What would the 2001:A Space Odyssey Tarot be like? Can a designer get inspired from Stanley Kubrick's film and Arthur Clarke's novel to create all 78 cards?

ladybird

Steampunk Tarot: Gods of the Machine

Ok, so I went exploring anyway, even when I said I would pass since I don't usually like these overly CGI stylized decks. :p However, it does seem like a really fun and well thought through deck.

I just noticed that even though it is called the Steampunk Tarot, it has the subtitle "Gods of the Machine".

I went through the pictures on their facebook page and I can see they really enjoyed the process of putting this together. They seem like really fun folks getting all dressed up and playing the part. Good for them! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9lN2DdlKCnE#!

Here's a preview of the deck that shows many cards. I really like the music they used for the soundtrack!

Still going to pass on this right now but just thought I'd share.

dreamingwitch

I think it's pretty fun. What's going on with that last card on the AT page? A giant robot boat? I like it!

gregory

<wrong thread>

Tabs have a lot to answer for :D

Annabelle

I'm curious . . . where are people finding it already available? When I search for ISBN 978-0804843522, which seems to be the ISBN for the set, I cannot find any place that doesn't list it as still having pre-order status, even Amazon.co.uk.

Chiriku

I'm afraid John and Caitlin Matthews have typecast themselves because surely I was not the only one to be taken aback when I learned of this project? They do "what they do" (mythoi of Britain and Ireland) so well that they've become synonymous with it.

This Steampunk seems...quite a departure, and I don't just mean conceptually. Is there a rule that says Steampunk tarot art has to be created using digital media (more specifically, is there a rule that says it must be "wonky and amateurish" as Leikkona puts it?)

This and several other recent decks look, to me, to be direct from the 1990s. That was a fine decade, nothing against it, but I don't think it was the best from an aesthetic standpoint.

I know nothing of Steampunk culture except that it appears to use a lot of clocks and steam engines juxtaposed with late Victorian clothing styles. Maybe my lack of understanding is what prevents me from being unable to appreciate the Steampunk pattern in tarot decks. I could understand the vampire and fairies ones even if I didn't share in them.

GlitterNova

The tarot-buying bug has bitten me again recently so I've been looking through my months-old wishlist to see which decks still resonate with me. I had added both this deck and the Barbara Moore Steampunk deck on it. Looking through and comparing them, I've come to the conclusion that I like this one more. The BM Steampunk deck is absolutely beautiful but it is what I'd consider to be a steampunk-themed RWS clone deck. This deck is much less of a RWS clone. Now of course there's nothing wrong with clone decks!...but that's not what I'm looking for at the moment. I like to study and meditate on the imagery in my decks, so this one appeals to me for that reason.