Anyone hate the celtic cross?

ThunderWolf

I love the CC! It's my go to spread!

I don't read for myself often anymore, but when I do I still prefer the CC. I think the problem you're having with it is not the CC but rather detaching from the results in order to be more objective. That's the hardest part about reading for ourselves.

In this particular case I think it might be better to go with smaller spreads as was suggested. By the time you've invested all that emotion and energy into the question then invested in a ten card reading you can be...well...pretty invested in the outcome.

Besides, if you're doing a shorter reading that's less time you have to spend in a detached state. If you'd like to use the CC maybe you could practice being detached with a smaller reading and gradually work up to that.

Carla

I don't hate the Celtic Cross, but I seldom use it as I find it clunky and awkward. If you're going to do a 10-card spread on a specific question, why ever would you not make a simple list of your own questions and get them answered, rather than try to glean what you want to know from such an awkward thing?

If there's something you find appealing about the way the cards are laid out, by all means use the layout. Just change the questions to actually suit you. If you ask specific questions that are actually meaningful for you and you still find your questions don't seem to be answered, then you'll know it's not the Celtic Cross that's causing the problem. You might be one of those readers who say they can't read for themselves effectively, and prefer to get readings from other people. Possibly.

Debra

I've wasted a lot of time with the Celtic Cross. Ugh. It's mostly what you already know.

divinerofcards

CC is my bread and butter. Smaller spreads may work well for some, but I find that all the scenarios around the issues are answered by the celtic cross. I always word my query in such a way that the cc will answer it. Sometimes, yes, there's extraneous information that I can take or leave. I may just be so familiar with it - and trusting of it - that I can read it fast...? Always use the spread you TRUST most for the issue at hand.

Ask specific questions, use a spread you trust, and use your intuition without flavourings from personal interest: be objective... And you'll be fine :)

Brightest Blessings
Toni

Editing to say, that besides her dislike of the CC ;), I do agree with Carla's alternative method of calibrating/personalizing of the spread by making a list of the questions you may have and drawing cards against them. It is Divining 101. :) Yay Carla!!!

wildchilde

I don't hate the Celtic Cross, but I seldom use it as I find it clunky and awkward. If you're going to do a 10-card spread on a specific question, why ever would you not make a simple list of your own questions and get them answered, rather than try to glean what you want to know from such an awkward thing?

My feelings spot on! I don't hate the CC...I just choose not to use it as I have or can create much more thorough and less cumbersome spreads to read. I too always found the set up of the CC "awkward". I much prefer a star spread (usually five or six cards, but can be more). It's just what works for me, other's mileage may vary.

Rosanne

The Celtic cross is 'traditional' layout- one part older than the other.
It appeared in 1910 the Pictorial Key attached to the RWS.
The first half in the form of a cross was a much used layout for reading playing cards in Europe pre 1910.
Soooo.... it has appeared inside decks and in books ever since.
It is a great learning tool for positional answers. Then you can move on.
Try using the first 6 cards only , or the second 4 seperately.
For card reading for the public, there is a certain theater or drama in using a classic form.
I have a old sepia photo of a distant relative using the cross (1st 6) with playing cards.
I personally used to use 10 cards in a circle, so the querent could focus somewhere in the circle to start.
If you do not find it useful- do not use it; but consider the positional card explanations are really all you need in whatever spread you choose. An opener, a closer, and various permutations ie what is negative past, what will help, what will hinder etc etc. it is all there in the Celtic Cross. If you learn that- there is nothing you cannot do.
No I do not hate it, but use it less thesedays.
~Rosanne

tarotbear

I don't hate the CC - but I also tweaked it slightly to 'make more sense' in a reading. I feel the CC sometimes is WTMI, and much of it is in the past ... so it is really necessary? I always feel sorry for newbies struggling to learn the cards and then struggling to make sense of this large, cumbersome spread.

Sulis

I don't hate the Celtic Cross as I think it's a good spread for certain questions. If you want an in-depth look at a situation, what's brought you to where you are now and where you're going then the Celtic Cross is really good.. Like tarotbear, I use a modified version that lends itself well to advice readings because they're the sort of readings I tend to do.

The problem with the Celtic Cross is that people who don't understand it because they are new to tarot use it because they think that's the thread that has to be used since it's contained in most deck's little white books.
If you're new to tarot and you're only just trying to learn the card meanings then a complex spread with 10 positions that all interact with each other isn't the spread for you.
The other problem is that some people think it's a multi-purpose spread so they ask simple questions or questions that need a yes or no answer then use a Celtic Cross spread and wonder why they're confused.

So for a snapshot of a situation and with modified, understandable positional meanings, it's a good spread but if you don't understand what the positional meanings mean or you're just getting to grips with the card meanings then there will be other, simpler spreads that will suit you and your question better.

Thoughtful

Way back when starting out with tarot readings l tried very hard to get on with the celtic cross spread. It just seemed somehow to stunt my intuitive flow, l found it very (as others have said) cumbersome.
Its like all things with tarot, you have to just find the path that is right for you, what suits one is not necessarily right for another. Its rather like tarot decks, so many to choose from, you may buy many before finding what suits your style of reading. l am one of those readers that do not use spreads and as l said before a uniform pattern just stops my flow. We are all different with different ways and means to read tarot, so don't worry too much just take time and explore other spreads.

Kiata

Nah, don't really like the CC as given.

If the position "Hopes and/or fears" are tweaked to each having it's own card/ position than it's allright. Also, if there was an additional "possible outcome" card for when the advise his heeded and correctly understood. But then again, one card answers for each postion just feel a bit limiting .. The spread is a good starter to explore further from there.