Beginner's Reflections: Ace of Wands [Baston]

Centaur

punchinella said:
You know, my personal reaction to Ace/Batons in other decks as well (decks where it's 'Wands' :) ) has always been a bit ambivalent. It seems to me that raw energy can just as easily serve destructive as constructive ends. & the energy in this card is definitely raw (progression to more refined manifestations in court cards noted, I think by Jmd, at start of thread). --But, yeah, I do realize that the spurting artery thing might be just a tad extreme :|

Hey Punch, ;)

I agree with this. Yes... energy can serve destructive as well as productive/creative ends.

I too would be interested in learning more about the 'yod'.

Moongold

Have a look at this :)

It may give you some idea about those leaves which are sometimes dew drops and other things in RWS decks. Lots of other imformation here too.

www.derech.org/yod.html

Centaur

Thanks MG. So, it is the shape of the letter 'yod'. :)

punchinella

Thanks for the link Moongold. Interesting that the body part associated with this letter (on this site at least--??) just happens to be hand! To me this says doing, action . . . all things typically associated with batons, in other words.

Also, one often speaks of an aid, helper or laborer as a 'hand' . . . which reinforces the notion of suite division as a reflection of the societal divisions characteristic of the time & place which gave this deck its birth (batons representing labor, the peasant or working class . . . )

Last night in bed I just 'happened' to stumble on another explanation of Yod as well, in Letter II of Meditations on the Tarot--synchronicity??? --Anyway this explanation focused on Yod as the first letter of Yod-He-Vau-He, the 'complete' divine name, interpreting it (Yod) as essence (as contrasted with He, substance.) Hmmn, it looks like there's a bit more on this yet to read in the chapter (letter) :)

Also, I notice that a thread on Hebrew has suddenly appeared below this one on the H & I forum 'homepage' (would homepage be the correct term?) --Checking it out too would probably be a good idea. --Shall we go then, you & I (well, I at least . . . shall I? Why I do believe I shall :D )

jmd

It is well worth recalling, for the sake of comparison, and at the risk of restricting a small but important detail to otherwise just this card, that similar patterns (whether leaves or 'yods') also appear as distinctly on the Ace of Swords (on which is also depicted a holding hand).

It is also a form which, unlike the Sword card in which they appear to 'float' or drop downwards, seem more to emanate outwards on this card.

It is also interesting that in at least some versions of the Ace of Baston, the general shape of the club mimicks each of those leaf-like shapes.

Personally, I do not think that they depict the letter yod, any more than the coin depicts the letter 'O'. I do understand, nonetheless, that some have, in the past as now, decided to make of these 'yods' due to their similarity of depiction. I have also unfortunately heard similarly made comments that the 'dot-design' on, for example, the Schaffhouse must refer to or be taken from Australian aboriginal paintings!

As shrapnels of radiating energy, however, there may be some interesting comments which may be made.

Does the beginner begin to deepen an appreciation for the Marseille by attempting to investigate the imagery in terms of relatively distant, though similarly depicted, imagery? My own answer is that it removes the person from carefully continuing to look at the images as presented.

Investigating in detail the Hebrew alphabet has also, in my personal view, numerous very worthy and revealing features... but do these reflections aid in "Beginners' reflections", or rather provide stepping stones to investigate what are not reflections on the pip cards ?

punchinella

Aah, point taken Jmd, thank you. I don't necessarily have to, then, read these things as yods, in spite of the fact that some do.
jmd said:
Does the beginner begin to deepen an appreciation for the Marseille by attempting to investigate the imagery in terms of relatively distant, though similarly depicted, imagery? My own answer is that it removes the person from carefully continuing to look at the images as presented.
The thing about this is that I, for one, don't actually know what's distant & what's not. My grasp of historical context is practically nonexistent. Which is, unfortunately, what being a beginner is all about I suppose. The first step in learning being not learning itself, but learning how (& what) to learn :(

Moongold

This is very exciting to hear if I understand you correctly, JMD.

There is a lot of freedom for us to interpret the Marseilles as we see it. I have simply referred to those little leaves in the past as yods because I thought that was accepted wisdom, although there seem to be no justification for so doing than a vague resemblance to the letter yod.

That is quite a relief. As has already been said why make an artist use the same canvas or a poet the same rhythm? There are some principles, certainly, but there must be some room for freedom and perception within those. Perhaps such principles could even be the basis for further original and deep insights.

It seems to me that constraining people because of orthodoxy may be counter to creativity and fresh understanding. I respect orthodoxy but but feel burdened by it often.

Centaur

I think that the discussion of the yod is very interesting in that it provides yet another perspective on this card. My approach to tarot has always included some aspect of free-association with the cards... I like to make my own judgements as well as consulting the various symbolic meanings attributed in the imagey (eg. by the Golden Dawn tradition). I agree that it is very refreshing in that the Marseille encourages this free association. At least, for me it does.

OK... back to the card...

On first glimpse of this card, I perceived the little 'bits' to be bursts of energy. I like that idea, as it melds with my overall interpretation and impression of this card.

What does everyone else 'feel' that these 'bits' are? :)

Moongold

Yes, Centaur.

I think I will give myself permission to interpret things as I see them. Through study I might know what the accepted wisdom is but that does not mean I have to follow it. Often there is no real justification for a particular view. Just preference or choice becoming accepted practice.

Moongold

Centaur

Moongold said:
Often there is no real justification for a particular view. Just preference or choice becoming accepted practice.

Totally. This is very much my own view on the interpretation of tarot. :)