Bohemian Gothic...if there IS another...

PathWalker

On the subject of edge colours - even thought they'll likely be plain - no one mentioned green? The colour of absinthe? :)

greatdane

interesting thoughts re the next one

Ah Melia, I don't dislike the last Lovers card, I just thought it didn't match the style of the rest of the cards. The deck looks like pix from long ago and that pic looks like, well, modern times. Like having a Bella in a corset while the other women look like they're from the 1800's, it's just a distraction to me. I see it in a different deck. I know some didn't like the original Lovers either. Maybe there will be an all new Lovers card as an extra. I know no one card can please everyone, it is interesting that out of all the cards, it's the Lovers that causes the most controversy, not just for the second, but the first one as well. When there are different editions, people will have their favorites. If I could have a reprint of the first, that would be my choice, but I know that's not going to happen.
I agree, Melia, I couldn't care less about fancy edges either, they're nice, they're pretty (ok love the gold on the Vic Rom!), but it's about the cards and the images.
Too bad the cards aren't on the same stock so that those of us who may prefer the first Lover's (and I'm not saying I LOVE that card, but think it's more in keeping with the style of the rest of the cards) over the second couldn't just change with someone who likes the second Lovers :). I basically just want a different Lover's card, the original, a different one, and would get a new deck just for that one thing. But if it doesn't change, I'm actually almost totally happy with the second edition I have.

Glitterbird

ok I hate the 2nd lovers card. LOL :D

But the Book, now that is something I would like to see reprinted!!

greatdane

high five Glitterbird! and Pathwalker....

I was starting to think the book was like a unicorn, people heard about it, but never saw one. I wonder if there will ever be a reprint of it....
I just like the word and color absinthe :)). I don't know if they would do any blingy edges, I think that's part of the problem for them. Boxes and blingy edges. Maybe it's easier if they just do the cards. Love the boxes, but it's the cards that I most want. I put my decks in cases anyway, no matter how great the box.

ladybird

Well, if they ditch the 2nd edition lovers card that would be a shame for me, as I MUCH PREFER IT to the 1st edition. It's one of my favourite cards in the deck ... I think it's a much more progressive card than the 1st version lovers card, and for this reason I do not understand why 'apparently' so many people dislike it. The new lovers card reads really well, and with any deck/imagery it's all about how it reads.

Melia, if it makes you feel better, it sounded like they prefer the second over the first as well. I think what Karen said about considering making a change would probably be another card. I wouldn't think they would go back to the first:

"the first edition one was very harsh (though I liked it), the second edition was maybe too sweet. So that's not a bad idea, Jennifer. IF we can face yet another go at that image!"

"Ah no, I think it will always be the vampire kiss. The element of choice is very much there and we feel that the deck has to have that scene in there...." (in response to someone suggesting another scene altogether.)

"But the card may get changed."

"THANKS for all the input. We have decided to do changes, but mostly just minor ones - when we review our work we often see things we would like to tweak. So you'll see some small enhancements to some images. We think three or four cards may be substantially changed, but we're not sure yet. "

I hope it's okay to post BabaStudio's FB quotes here. I know that aurarcana was uncomfortable with that since Karen is no longer here to monitor. I can see how misunderstandings can occur through quoting, dear aurarcana. :heart: I would wish for her to return to talk about it. I think she knows that there are always conversations going on in here about their amazing decks! :)

greatdane

thanks for that Ladybird!

I think Karen seems aware you sure can't please everyone and that just maybe a third Lovers card may...MAY..be a possibility. I can certainly live with the second edition the way it is, when we're talking about what we would LIKE to see, that's just the card that comes to mind for me. I am excited, as I'm sure everyone else is as well, to see what changes will ultimately be made, even if they are relatively minor ones. Whether the changes are significant enough I get the third when I have the second, remains to be seen, but I WILL be reading with the Bohemian Gothic I have this Fall :). It's a great deck even if some of us like some cards over others, overall I think it works so well.

ladybird

I was starting to think the book was like a unicorn, people heard about it, but never saw one. I wonder if there will ever be a reprint of it....
I just like the word and color absinthe :)). I don't know if they would do any blingy edges, I think that's part of the problem for them. Boxes and blingy edges. Maybe it's easier if they just do the cards. Love the boxes, but it's the cards that I most want. I put my decks in cases anyway, no matter how great the box.

"Well, the book is slightly complicated because it looks as if it's going to be bundled with an app - so in that case, if people can buy app and book for a few dollars, we probably won't reprint the book as a paper item, if you see what I mean." ~Baba Studio

I notice that I use my phone much more for reference lately so this could work well enough for me. I love having companion books but since I acquired my phablet (phone tablet) ;) , I have been using it to read more than the paper and ink versions. Sad but true. Although it's so handy!

MoonGypsy

RE: the Book:
Alas,i guess i am still living in the techno dark ages...
i need to feel the book and smell the ink...
i only recently bought my first digital camera...:p

JenWt43

"the first edition one was very harsh (though I liked it), the second edition was maybe too sweet. So that's not a bad idea, Jennifer. IF we can face yet another go at that image!"

Ok, I admit it, I am the Jennifer who suggested another Lovers card. :D We shall see if it ends up being changed, or not! Either way, I'm sure I will buy one of the new edition. I am starting to feel like a Bohemian Gothic deck hoarder! But I love this deck...

greatdane

YAY JENNIFER!

If another Lovers card made some happy (not a reprint of either first or second), hey why not? If the deck doesn't really change much at all though except for the changes I've seen so far, I don't see me getting another one. I would just be happy with the second ed I have because I wouldn't feel I was getting anything different and don't feel I need a back up. But hey, I think we're all waiting just to SEE what changes will be made! Whether changes I'm particularly interested in or not, it's always fun to see what's coming up!