Borderless Rider Waite Smith, help!

gregory

Wow - didn't see the suggestion of nail-clippers. Mine wouldn't cut card, I don't think. I have to say my corner rounder was so cheap I didn't grudge the money at all - and it is SUCH fun ! (I can do all my Christmas cards as well - it confuses people }) !!!)

agviz

What the?

I just purchased the RWS Tarot directly from Lo Scarabeo with the intention of trimming just like Le Fanu has (suberb job!) but I received this...odd deck that looks like the lines were drawn with Sharpies. There's some pretty vivid shading to the colors and the backs are completely different too. The extra languages aren't there (not that I'd want them). I'm really confused because these aren't the same cards shown for the deck I purchased. What's the deal?

Attachments

• LoS RWS Tarot.jpg
    LoS RWS Tarot.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 2,893

FLizarraga

Here is my "trimmed to borderless" RWS. Best colouring on the market (and that must be what led them to forbid its circulation in the US if it isn't readily available, as posted above) and Rose & Lilies backs to boot. Lovely size - the size of a standard trimmed LoS deck.

I honestly thought that the two boxes were Europe and U.S. As it stands now, I have no idea why there are two boxes as both are readily available here, though I see the fancy ivory and blue box less and less now.

I have not tweaked the colours or anything in the attached photo. They are as seen this morning.

This is interesting, as I own (or have owned anyway) almost every single RWS edition by US Games, and trimmed them all, and in every single case the titles of the trumps and courts cannot be removed, or you would end up with much shorter cards. (In fact, I just trimmed my Tin Centennial.) I'll try to post a few pictures soon just to show this.

Maybe they print them differently for the European market?

rwcarter

Agviz, my first thought was that you'd gotten the "Edith Waite" but you haven't. The Magician card looks like the one on the box cover though. I can't get to my decks right now (grumble, grumble) to compare mine, which I'm pretty sure has multi-lingual titles (so therefore smaller art). Your link takes me to pics that look like the ones in my deck that I can't get to. I don't remember what the backs look like though.

I wonder if their printer switched decks on LoS or if LoS has changed what they're packaging as the PCS RWS Tarot? Hopefully the former and not the latter, cause that would be a disastrous PR move for them, especially if they're advertising something else completely on their website. Cause folks are not going to be happy and they're going to tell all their closest internet friends about that.

If you haven't already, email them immediately about this and include the picture you uploaded here!

Rodney

agviz

Hi rwcarter, I just emailed them - and I'll report back what I hear.

While I like that the multi-lingual text is removed, the artwork on these cards ranges from nice to awful. The lines on the Magician are way too wide. The facial expression of the King of Cups is daft. I'm really perplexed what has happened here. I really want to get a copy of the previous deck so I can trim it like Le Fanu.

FLizarraga

This is interesting, as I own (or have owned anyway) almost every single RWS edition by US Games, and trimmed them all, and in every single case the titles of the trumps and courts cannot be removed, or you would end up with much shorter cards. (In fact, I just trimmed my Tin Centennial.) I'll try to post a few pictures soon just to show this.

Maybe they print them differently for the European market?

This is what I mean. The one above is the (so called) Original Rider Waite; the second is the Centennial, and the third the Centennial in a Tin.

Attachments

• IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,464

agviz

Nice job, FLizarraga!

Tippyjane

I didn't know I needed a borderless RWS until I saw this thread 😉

Le Fanu

I just purchased the RWS Tarot directly from Lo Scarabeo with the intention of trimming just like Le Fanu has (suberb job!) but I received this...odd deck that looks like the lines were drawn with Sharpies. There's some pretty vivid shading to the colors and the backs are completely different too. The extra languages aren't there (not that I'd want them). I'm really confused because these aren't the same cards shown for the deck I purchased. What's the deal?
That's a completely different deck. It's been redrawn, and recoloured. Apart from the cards and backs being totally different, I notice they have "updated" the box. That background in the Magician card (sort of sunset colour) has also been reproduced on the box. Looks like the lovely version they produced which was ripe for trimming has been removed from the market...

agviz

Well this is bad news then. I want that version you trimmed, Le Fanu. What a strange thing for them to do. I don't get it.