Camoin the Best?

NightWing

I been getting the impression recently that the "refurbished" T. deM. by Camoin is the "best bet" for traditional images and symbols. Is this the case? Do some people feel strongly in favour of other such decks? If so, why?

What currently available T. deM. deck would YOU recommend as being the one closest to the traditional line, as well as esoterically useful?

Ross G Caldwell

NightWing said:
I been getting the impression recently that the "refurbished" T. deM. by Camoin is the "best bet" for traditional images and symbols. Is this the case? Do some people feel strongly in favour of other such decks? If so, why?

What currently available T. deM. deck would YOU recommend as being the one closest to the traditional line, as well as esoterically useful?

Most people think Camoin and Jodorowsky went too far with their restoration. The Papesse's "Oeuf" is probably the most famous example.

Some people like the clean lines and bright colours, and especially the number of colours.

But others prefer a more antique look, and the ambiguity of the old woodcuts.

For my part, I love the brightness and majesty of the Camoin-Jodorowsky, even though I do think the restorations are often actually their own inventions.

But by preference and as a "purist", I fall into the antique woodcut camp. The Dodal reproduction by Dusserre is my favorite "TdM".

MikeTheAltarboy

I Love the Camoin pips - almost everything about them. The trumps, however, I'm not as fond of. He has done a lot of inovation. Some of it isn't too important, so I don't mind (It about broke his heart, he said, to put different numbers on the Bataleur's dice than the Marteau? had...) But some are just too much, like the door into the Tower.
Hadar has some inovations too, but fewer it seems, so I like it a bit better for the trumps. But I don't like the pips as much.
The Flornoy decks are super: http://www.letarot.com/ But they have no pips yet. :-(

Fulgour

bonjour!

Ross G Caldwell said:
But by preference and as a "purist", I fall into the antique woodcut camp. The Dodal reproduction by Dusserre is my favorite "TdM".
I happily concur regarding Le Jean Dodal (Dusserre) but since,
as of today I am a member of the Jodo- Camoin club I'd add~
it's a truly beautiful deck, and one that can be recommended.

le pendu

Gosh, honestly I love them all. There's probably not one TdM in my collection that I would part with.

I am highly anticipating the upcoming complete Jean Noblet "restoration" by Jean-Claude Flornoy, I suspect that it will be my favorite deck. I love his majors-only decks, so expect that the complete deck will be incredible.

Currently the Dodal (unfortunately very rare these days) is my favorite. The Heron Nicholas Conver or the Kris Hadar "restoration" running a close second.

Of course, if you're willing to throw the Heron Jacques Vieville into the mix, even though it isn't a TdM, then it ranks very high.

As for the Camoin, I like it, but find the colors a bit overwhelming.

They're all wonderful.

robert

tmgrl2

I believe that your choice will be a totally personal one, NW.

I have a number of TdM decks....My favorite for reading is still the Hadar....

But occasionally, I look at another I have and start with that one again.

I do like my mini Camoin and my mini-Fournier....Since I like both decks, these are "fun" to carry with me. I think you need to look at scans of the decks, and pick the ones you like the best. Remember, when you finally get the deck you think you might like, it isn't what you expected in real life....there is no easy answer, only your own answer through exploration.

terri

stella01904

MM ~ I love the Jodo-Camoin, I have the mini deck and I'll surely get the big one before it's all over. :smoker:

The reason for all those colors is that the older TdMs were hand colored and HAD more colors. The 4-color block printing process came later, from what I understand.

I don't mind the changes like the Papess's huevo, since I have Jodo's book it all makes perfect sense. I can't vouch for historical accuracy but there is sound reasoning behind any and all changes and it enhances the deck, and the readings.

I also like the Heron a lot, I use that one often. I like these beat reprints better than the prettied-up TdM's like the Hadar. The LS is also nice but be warned, they have a messed up Baton card. They just copied the flowers from another Baton card onto it. The images are also slightly elongated and "squished", but this isn't noticable unless you put it next to the Heron.

I have a Grimaud but I'm not crazy about the colors.

I'm waiting for Tarot Garden to get more Vievilles. :D (I'm becoming a bit of a TdM fiend.)

But it's Jodo-Camoin hands down, if you are using Jodo's book.
BB, Stella

Fulgour

overwhelming...?

le pendu said:
As for the Camoin, I like it, but find the colors a bit overwhelming.
When I first saw the Hadar I almost swooned it was so nice,
but it didn't take smelling salts to wake me up it was not me.

But with Jodo-Camoin the only drawback was availability and
now that I have one I am "whelmed" as in "over" all the way!

Here's an important point to consider as well...

Nothing Hadar or Jodo-Camoin did is in any way different
than what Mr Otto Spalinger did with the CONVOS Tarot.

They are all "recreations" rather than "restorations"
and the CONVOS is pure, clean, true, and delightful.

dminoz

I have the Hadar deck, and find it to be a very good, no fuss Marseille. However, I don't really enjoy reading with it, but I think that would go for any Marseille. (Strangley enough, and I don't understand why, out of all my decks, the one I like reading with most is my 1JJ.)

Moonbow

The Jodo-Camoin is a fine deck, in my opinion. It depends, I think, on what you want a Marseilles deck for. This is a good reading deck. Experts on Marseilles decks will tell you about the 'poetic licence' taken with this deck, but I think there is some also taken in the Hadar (and probably others).

There are decks which are essential for study and for comparison to others, and you may find that you will end up with several Marseilles in time. So getting back to the question.... best for what? Its a good deck for reading and its also nice to compare it to others to see what is different and to figure out why... if you like to do that. :)