Can you suggest suitable spreads to use at a psychic fair???

Netzach

Thank you all. This is so helpful.

I can't do the numerology thing at this fair because I'm sharing the stand with a friend who's doing numerology readings. However, I could perhaps take an oracle deck and add a card in at the end as a "bonus". I've got that lovely Wisdom of the Elves that I won on AT, which is quite charming and which might be a nice conclusion to the reading.

I've been scanning the Spreads forum and taking some notes. I think in the end I'll compile a five card spread using what I feel are the most useful position meanings . . . and then think how I can add on if required.

It's as well that there's still six weeks to go! I'm busy revising "traditional meanings" because, although I read almost entirely intuitively, it would be just my luck to get someone who knew all the traditional meanings and wanted to argue the case!

Grizabella

I've never done a fair but my first thought when I saw the name of the fair was that you should do mind-body-spirit readings. Depending on the time available and how experienced you are, you could either use one card per position or two. I'd say three per position, but that might be a bit much for a fair if things are moving quickly and time is limited per person.

magpie9

Netzach said:
It's as well that there's still six weeks to go! I'm busy revising "traditional meanings" because, although I read almost entirely intuitively, it would be just my luck to get someone who knew all the traditional meanings and wanted to argue the case!

That argument can't fly if you point out that the cards are meant to be read by the reader--you--and so are adapted to your perception of them. Of Course they don't speak to the sitter. They're not supposed to. Perhaps they would like to do the entire reading while you watch--and you keep the money?
Years and years ago I had this happen a lot, and it drove me nuts...but it got me into very strange decks --Morgans' tarot, etc, the weirder the better--so I benefited in the end.
Or just tell them that you get only some of your information from the cards, this being how your psychic intuition manifests. This is my everyday answer at this point, because that is how I read--a combination of Tarot knowledge and Intuition. Sounds like you do too. Odly enough, nobody argues this answer.

tmgrl2

Although, magpie.....

I had a reading done about a year ago by someone local...who was quite good and I had told him I was a reader...and certain cards that came up
made my eyes open wide....he simply drew me into the process and we went from there...

...together.

It was a very helpful reading with wonderful guidance.

terri

Netzach

Lyric said:
I've never done a fair but my first thought when I saw the name of the fair was that you should do mind-body-spirit readings.

Yes, this was my first thought for people who want a general reading. But I think I need to have several spreads at my fingertips to deal with different types of questions.

magpie9 said:
That argument can't fly if you point out that the cards are meant to be read by the reader--you--and so are adapted to your perception of them.

I went to a tarot conference recently where we did a practical workshop on reading. We each picked up a piece of paper with a question and another with a description of the type of querant we were. My partner was a "know-all" and I was flummoxed after a couple of minutes. Fortunately, she was a very experienced reader (and a tarot teacher) and she gave me some very good advice on how to deal with such a client (and she assured me that they are around!). She recommended asking the client to say what she saw in the cards (rather along the lines of Mary K. Greer's 21 "ways to read a tarot card") and then, after a few minutes of discussion, ask whether she would like you to continue the reading. However, it scared the living daylights out of me - the thought that it might happen. So I'm doing a bit of revision. Also useful, of course, if the intuition suddenly deserts me in mid-reading and all I have to fall back on are the traditional meanings!

magpie9

I do that too, on occasion... it all really depends on how the client handles themselves. It's pretty easy to spot a reader across the table, and many of them have a lot to add to their own reading. Within the pressures of a Psychic fair, there's often not a lot of time and energy to explore the client's level of knowledge, etc.--or educate them as to how you read, on a nuts and bolts level.
In my post I was talking about the very challenging ones who seem determined to make you wrong, or argue fanatically over every tiny thing. And really, for most of us, we can't stop to map out exactly how we read each card combination, etc. during a reading. That's a different activity than giving a reading.
I should have made that clear--sorry. :)

Moonbow

I do Lark's 'Past, Present, Obstacle, Advise, Outcome' spread and it's worked fine for me. I also lay another layer under the first five if I need to, it's sometimes surprising how the cards in the second row relate to the ones in the first, and gives a lot more information to talk about. My readings with this spread last anything from 20 minutes to 45, but usually around the 30 minutes... I don't clock watch.

I think one of the most difficult things is if you run out of things to say... that's when the reading is over, so keep the flow of conversation if you can. But with some people they don't like to say a word so their reading will likely be shorter.

Netzach

magpie9 said:
In my post I was talking about the very challenging ones who seem determined to make you wrong, or argue fanatically over every tiny thing. And really, for most of us, we can't stop to map out exactly how we read each card combination, etc. during a reading. That's a different activity than giving a reading.

Exactly - and I don't want to be reduced to a gibbering wreck by one of them! I think the advice I was given to let them do their own reading, so to speak, is probably the best. After all, it's their money and if they want to spend it like that, that's their affair!

tmgrl2

magpie9 said:
I should have made that clear--sorry. :)

Oh dear...here I know just what you mean....I had one person who was starting along these lines...and we moved away from it...but I had that pang of fear hit me!

terri

Sulis

I have never done a fair but when reading face to face for other people I use one of these 2 spreads:

1. Lark's Past, Present, Obstacle, Advice, Outcome
2. Situation, Challenge, Advice, who or what will help, Outcome

They seem to cover all bases and they are both expandible on or you can just lay more cards on top if you want to go deeper or ask more questions.