Cult and Religion- What&#39s the difference?

Kiama

I had soe free time today at school, so I went to the library, and picked up a book about cults. It was very good, fairly recent in its information, adnd I learned loads. However, I came across some bits about Druidry and Wicca, and according to this book they are both cults! >(

But what exactly is a cult, ad how is it different to a religion? I mean, when we think of cult, we usually think of smething bad, like Jonestown, etc, but this isn't the case with all 'cults'. Some of them are just belief systems, and are peaceful....

I know this is probably gonna boil down to definitions, but I just wana examine some of the similarites between religion and 'cults'. So far, they are very similar.

So, what distinguishes a religion from a cult?

Kiama ???

Diana

Kiama, there is a basic problem here, in that the etymology of the latin "religio" is not quite certain, and scholars argue still yet about this. But the most commonly accepted etymology is that of "binding things together" - therefore religion binds people together in common beliefs and practices.

A cult is, as I understand it, a non-traditional religious movement. The word "cult" has taken on a rather derogatory meaning, mostly due to the powerful influence that the traditional religions (Catholic and their offshoot Protestant religions) have in our Western world. But actually, depending on the context, it is not necessarily degoratory, if you accept the definition of non-traditional religion.

You say you think of something bad like Jonestown or something when you hear the word "cult". Jonestown was more a sect - if one accepts the definition of a sect which includes a charismatic leader, very strict rules and more than likely, a lot of material sacrifices (i.e. money).

There again, that has been an extremely unfortunate amalgam between "cult" and "sect" with people tending to mix up the two. Pity. And I think it's going to get worse.

Have a nice day

Major Tom

Diana - At your current rate you should exceed my post total in no time. }>

Kiama - I think you're right about it coming down to definitions. I've consulted my ancient dictionary (gotta get a new one for playing scrabble) and feel I can safely say these were once the meanings of these words (the problem being the evolution of language):

cult n. [< l. culpa, fault] 1. a system of religious worship. 2. devoted attachment to a person, principle, etc. 3. a sect.

religion n. [< l. religio] 1. belief in God or gods to be worshiped, usually expressed in conduct and ritual. 2. an specific system of belief, worship, etc.

sect n. [< l. sequi, follow] 1. a religious denomination. 2. a group of people having a common leadership, philosophy, etc.

By these definitions both Catholics and Wiccans are a cult, a religion, and a sect, as are political parties in a democracy. }> :D

Marion

Partly the difference between a cult and religion lies in how many people believe in it. Christianity started out as a cult, a small very dedicated group. Sometimes it seems that 'religion' is almost a way of giving its status, or place in a society. If it is broadly accepted, then it gets to be a religion.
Cults seem to refer to smaller groups, often with ideas not accepted by the mainstream, and wicca and paganism fit that definition. If you talk about a 'cult movie', it is generally a somewhat different movie with a small but very enthusiastic following. Similarly, some saints have cults, in the sense of a small but devoted following.
I have a fundamental Christian friend who says, in complete seriousness, that Catholicism is a cult. Now I think he is mis-using the term to express an opinion, and that happens too.

northsea

In a cult, the following traits are in place:
1)you live in a group with the leader
2)you aren't allowed to interact/socialize with outsiders
3)you aren't allowed to communicate with your family (or it is highly discouraged)
4)you are told what to believe on an almost daily basis
5)you are told that only (select) members of the cult will reach the ultimate goal
6)you may not be allowed to leave the cult.

I've heard it said that the difference between a religion and a cult is "about 100 years" meaning that new religions are frowned-upon. As you mentioned, many old religions are called cults, too.

Tommy

Diana

Quote:Tommy (25 Jan, 2002 20:06):
In a cult, the following traits are in place:
Tommy

Tommy, I beg to disagree. What you are describing is what is today considered as a "sect", not a "cult".
No hard feelings meant, though.

northsea

Diana: the description I gave could possibly be called a sect or a cult according to Major Tom's dictionary. Is a cult a type of sect? ???

Tommy

Pollux

IMHO... A Religion has got
1) a BOOK (Bible, Coranus... Veda...)
2) a place elected (La Mecca, Citt? del Vaticano, Jerusalem...)
3) a hierarchy (Pope/Chief and cardinals and bishops and so on, more or less the same in all religions)
4) Lots of stuff I can't think of ;p

A cult is mine, yours Kiama, something I define and cut myself.
It's a tailor made suit! ;D
CULT VS RELIGION 4:0

purplelady

Quote:Diana (24 Jan, 2002 01:10):
if one accepts the definition of a sect which includes a charismatic leader, very strict rules and more than likely, a lot of material sacrifices (i.e. money).

This would be very close to my definition of a cult. Whether dictionary definition correct-it is my Idea of a "cult". With emphasis on the charasmatic leader. I don't think they Have to live together as a group.
I once had a good friend who was a member of a cult. My friend lived here in colorado. The cult and it's female leader live on a compound in northern montana , I believe. I won't mention names, but the leader of the group writes books that I've seen in the metaphysical section of bookstores . This woman supposedly gave birth to a baby at age 60. According to her followers she is the reincarnation of every female goddess you can think of and then some! She tells her followers who to vote for in elections. Apparently my friend called this woman often , and her goal in life was to give her LOTS of money , so they could build bomb shelters up there , I guess. In fact , every member , living in montana or not , was supposed to raise thousands of dollars so their own bomb shelter up there could be built. She tried to indoctrinate me into the cult. Uh-uh!
It bothered me how they followed this woman and her word blindly. To me , wicca and paganism differ than this because you don't have to follow anyone else's directions or words, or raise lots of money for them. You get to think for yourself , not have a leader to do it for you.

Kiama

Quote:pollux (26 Jan, 2002 05:48):
IMHO... A Religion has got
1) a BOOK (Bible, Coranus... Veda...)
2) a place elected (La Mecca, Citt? del Vaticano, Jerusalem...)
3) a hierarchy (Pope/Chief and cardinals and bishops and so on, more or less the same in all religions)
4) Lots of stuff I can't think of ;p

So, this automatically makes Buddhism, Wicca, any form of Paganism not a religion? I disagree with this, cuz they are all legally considered as religions. And I see them as religions too. I'm not having a go at you though, don't ake this the wrong way: I'm just pointing out that some religions don't have a holy book, or a heirarchy.

Kiama