DECK OF THE MONTH -MAY 2013 sign up thread

Aivli

Hello all!

I am Aivli, and I'm new to the Deck of the Month group. I've been interested in Tarot for about 10 years now, and still consider myself a novice. I'm learning slowly, and just enjoying the process.

I have 3 tarot decks. My first tarot deck was/is the Celtic Wisdom Tarot by Caitlin Matthews and Olivia Rayner. Originally, I was drawn to the artwork, and all the different stories associated with each card, but I had absolutely no clue how to use them. A couple years ago I stumbled across the Shadowscapes Tarot by Stephanie Pui-Mun Law, and now I find that learning tarot is actually clicking with me. It's also helping me to understand the Celtic Wisdom deck much better. I also have the Tarot of Trees by Dana Driscoll.

I have several Tarot apps for my iPad, which I love using! I also have a few Oracle decks, which I use, mainly, to decorate my massage therapy office. If you want to know which ones feel free to look at my profile.

I will be working with my Shadowsacpes deck this month.

Aivli

Well, I'm not sure if we are suppose to post our journal entries or not. But I will give a brief summary...

Monday

The Empress: What I most desire in life right now?

Someone to nurture and reassure me!!

Under the glassy, calm surface, my life feels very uncertain and tumultuous. Some days I feel like I'm barely hanging on.

But I have found that by focusing on caring for, and being patient with and forgiving of, others I gain a little more inner peace and strength. Focusing on being grateful for what I have; the little, simple good things; and what I can count on right now, is helping me to stay grounded and sane.

Kathy123

Hi Aivli! Thanks for the intro and your journal entries.... I think they are fine to post in this thread, and you did a great job with your Empress! Shadowscapes was one of the first decks that I purchased as well, the artwork is beautiful; however, I have had a hard time reading with it :(

Welcome to the Group, and I look forward to hearing/reading more of your entries :)

SwampLady

Oh you both have the shadowscapes!!! I have been meaning to pick them up. I was a fan of the artist way way back when she used to post paintings on a site called Elfwood!!! She had one tarot card up there And then years well more like a decade later, I saw her deck in the stores. Have yet to pick it up yet. I get distracted by other decks, but she has always been an amazing artist!

inkedat20

My journey with tarot is kind of short. My mom bought the Wild woods tarot deck one day and i LOVED the art. i started reading the book, reading turned into doing readings for myself. so about 3 months ago i was in my local metaphysical store. there I saw the RWS tarot. I knew it was a old deck, the art always has intrigued me. so I bought it, well I got it home. it was lifeless, flat, not single thing made sense to me. so I put it up. I went to B&N to look around at the new age books, there next to them all where cards. so I looked read boxes. then The book of shadows as above deck comes into view. I kind of step back, well hello there. This deck came home with me and i have been reading with "her" since.

I will get to my empress card here in a few and post it.

Juliana

I have the Shadowscapes too and it is so captivating. I'm not usually one for that kind of art, but something about it is so gorgeous. I know what you mean about always finding a different deck to buy, SwampLady. That is how I am with the Tarot of the Magical Forest. It is always at the top of my wish list, and yet I always buy a different deck instead of it. I'm starting to wonder if I will ever own that adorable deck of woodland animals. :D

Juliana

I'll do an intro too. I came to tarot about 8 years ago. I first got into it as a result of my interest in symbolism and symbolic systems. I had no intentions of using them. I just wanted to study their symbols and enjoy their art. I did that for a while with 5 or so decks. Then I started collecting even more (I have around 30-something now) and finally started reading with them. I've been reading with them for about a year now and consider myself very much a novice. So much left to learn! I've also always considered myself a skeptic when it comes to Tarot. Although I started reading with them, I initially did it only as a way to learn the symbols and practice what I had learned. I didn't believe that they "worked". And even now, I have a hard time saying that they work, and yet, they do for me. I still sometimes think I'm just making the cards fit my situation, but most of the time the answers the decks give is scary accurate. I can't deny that!

SwampLady

LOL we should make a pledge that we will both get our decks by the end of the month so we can to the deck of the month with them in June!!!

conurelover

Hi Everyone!

I would like to participate this month using my new Legacy of the Divine (which I have had less than a month). At some point in the future I want to acquire the Angels deck by Doreen Virtue.

I have been interested in the symbols in tarot cards for years because they remind me so much of my beloved Italian playing cards and have read a few study books on tarot reading.

I am still so new to tarot and want to give this participating thread a try! Bear with me please!

I am looking forward to this month's study!

Kathy123

Hi Everyone!

I would like to participate this month using my new Legacy of the Divine (which I have had less than a month). At some point in the future I want to acquire the Angels deck by Doreen Virtue.

I have been interested in the symbols in tarot cards for years because they remind me so much of my beloved Italian playing cards and have read a few study books on tarot reading.

I am still so new to tarot and want to give this participating thread a try! Bear with me please!

I am looking forward to this month's study!

Welcome Conurelover!!! Great to have you along with us for the month (and hopefully more!) We are all still learning tarot, so we all "bear" along together :)

I am pulling my Legacy of the Divine out this month too... there are three of us working with that deck this month!!