DeLaurence Decks - anyone know the value?

karen0205

I have a regular DeLaurence deck, it's not the orange, red or yellow deck.
The box is marked "Tarot Cards" and they are published by De Laurence.
any idea what they would go for? I know the colored versions are quite
pricey.

Gerbear

Are you sure that the original color has not faded? I've never heard of one outside the three colors. Can you post a picture?

truelighth

Which colour is your regular DeLaurence deck? The DeLaurence decks always come in one of colours yellow, orange or red. All the DeLaurence cards have come in a box just saying Tarot cards. The distinction is made on the colour of the printing, not on the titles on the box. It really depends on which colour it has, how much it is worth. And if you happen to have a yellow one, with square corners and white backs, you got one from 1918. But they are pretty rare. In general the Yellow ones are the most expensive, because they are the least around.

Le Fanu

I bet the Crowned One knows. It is on his wishlist...

Why not PM him?

karen0205

here is a picture, I don't think it's any of the color versions
but maybe someone else knows

Attachments

• deLaurence tarot cards.JPG
    deLaurence tarot cards.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 248

Cerulean

Orange DeLaurence circa 1960

I did a keyword search because there was a description I remembered in a 2OO4 posting on e-bay. I thought it was a blue edition, but found it was referred to as the orange version. Sorry there was not more in my limited reference---perhaps Holly Voley's site would have pictures.

What a collector of vintage decks might pay nowadays, I do not know.
You are right, I did see prices of 3 figures noted some years ago...

rwcarter

Your box has the number 20 D on it like mine does. I don't know if all three colors have the same number on the box though. But your box looks different from mine at the lower half though. Is the "Guidance House" (as far as I can tell) with an address a sticker or printed on the box? My box says

180 North Wabash Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60601
U.S.A

where your Guidance House info is located.

I always thought I had an orange version, but looking closer, I think I have a red version. Assuming the pic you posted has true colors and not colors that were changed by a flash, I'd say you have an orange version.

I thought the background on my Devil was black, but looking closer, it's actually a navy blue. Since your background is a lighter blue, it's quite possible that the colors have faded on your deck. So you might have a faded red instead of an orange.

The only other card in your pic that I can tell anything about is the one that looks like it might be either the 2W or 4W. But I can't find a corresponding card in my deck (which is missing the 3P). If you could show a few more cards, that might help.

Rodney

Debra

I have that. It's the "orange" version; the dark ink is dark blue.

I paid about $60 for it a couple of years ago from someone here; that was the going price on e-bay at the time. I haven't seen one up for sale in a long time.

The Crowned One is the expert on these, I think.

Debra

The back is a tiny white/orange screen dot pattern.

I'll try to find the flattened-out box--yours looks similar but I can't swear they're the same.

karen0205

thank you, I will have to find the crowned one!

I do think you are right, it seems to be the orange version