Discussion Thread for: The Making of a New AT Collab Deck

blue_fusion

Is the poll set to end at a specific time?

I just realized that the poll didn’t really specify about the scope of distribution (I had to vote no for printing because that was the closest option to what I wanted). Anyway, giving a fixed date as to when the issue of distribution will be decided will help a lot.

I think not one among those blithely and unfairly dismissed as "whiners” wants the project to stop. They just want to know the full scope of the project so they can either start making their artworks or pull out of it. Some would want to know the contents of the fine print before they put their signatures on the paper. Best decide on it on a quantifiable “soon”.

And to set the record straight: I’m for printing, but if only it’s made available to the creators and Solandia. Yes, I know, some folks might want to send copies to relatives who might be interested, but the deck isn’t just their art. Those other contributors might not want their art to be sent to people they don’t know or those that didn’t participate (I dunno why, people have different opinions on how they want their stuff made available. At the very least, I think it’s polite to respect them, or let them pull out their works from the project). I’m also for making the deck available online as low-res images on a website.

Paraphrasing what Gregory said a number of posts back: if you want to have a copy, why not sign up to make a card so you can get a copy?. If it’s decided by the organizers that the deck will be available to a wider audience, and that folks will have to pull out their work if they don’t like that decision, then I’m okay with that too. Yes, the project moves onward and no one is trying to stop that; just that some wouldn't want to move along with it under certain circumstances.

Laura Borealis

Except this is not entirely true.
In the other collaborative deck you participated in, the first year it WAS free, because I produced and printed a copy for everyone, and paid for all of the shipping. YOU, gregory, did complain about how long it took me, and asked that I be kicked off the project, as I struggled to fix, and ultimately replace, my broken printer, but in the end you got your deck. (Initially, the cardbacks were to be blank, but when several people were unhappy about that, I designed the back pattern that is still in use today, and offered to add it for $10 because it effectively doubled the job. Only a few people chose that option.)

The Aeclectic ATC majors deck was also basically free, as each participant printed 22 copies of their card, and everyone exchanged. The whole premise of that deck was the concept of free exchange. Only participants could get eachother's work. But (please correct me if I'm wrong,) as I understand it, YOU, gregory, did not participate, but had a friend of yours who did two cards gave you a copy of the finished deck, despite the premise.

As for this project:
I think print on demand companies are a nice option that ought to be taken advantage of.

EDITED TO ADD: Links to AT ATC Majors Only Collaborative:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=67996&highlight=atc
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=74067&highlight=atc

Wow, this is getting ugly. :confused:

I just realized that the poll didn’t really specify about the scope of distribution (I had to vote no for printing because that was the closest option to what I wanted). Anyway, giving a fixed date as to when the issue of distribution will be decided will help a lot.

I think not one among those blithely and unfairly dismissed as "whiners” wants the project to stop. They just want to know the full scope of the project so they can either start making their artworks or pull out of it. Some would want to know the contents of the fine print before they put their signatures on the paper. Best decide on it on a quantifiable “soon”.

And to set the record straight: I’m for printing, but if only it’s made available to the creators and Solandia. Yes, I know, some folks might want to send copies to relatives who might be interested, but the deck isn’t just their art. Those other contributors might not want their art to be sent to people they don’t know or those that didn’t participate (I dunno why, people have different opinions on how they want their stuff made available. At the very least, I think it’s polite to respect them, or let them pull out their works from the project). I’m also for making the deck available online as low-res images on a website.

Paraphrasing what Gregory said a number of posts back: if you want to have a copy, why not sign up to make a card so you can get a copy?. If it’s decided by the organizers that the deck will be available to a wider audience, and that folks will have to pull out their work if they don’t like that decision, then I’m okay with that too. Yes, the project moves onward and no one is trying to stop that; just that some wouldn't want to move along with it under certain circumstances.

Thank you for your sane words.

I agree and want to reiterate - if you want a copy, why not contribute a card? There are lots of cards left, and the more people contribute, the more meaningful and fun the deck will be.

Marirowana

So I wanted to ask, whether the march 2015 deadline is really for delivering my single card or for the whole project to be finished. If the latter holds, when is the card deadline??? (slap me if I missed the post that tells me ...)

@trzes no deadlines yet, but you will probably finish it before we get one!;)))

Actually, we do have a deadline, end of March 2015, for the whole project. So all the cards should be finished by then. Plenty of time, right? :)
This info will be in the first post soon.

We will announce the definitive decision about that availability of the printed version in less than a day.

ETA: Please try to stay on-topic... Personal issues are clearly off-topic, I think everyone made their point by now. :)

blue_fusion

We will announce the definitive decision about that availability of the printed version in less than a day.
I know this is difficult for you organizers so i'd like to thank you for your efforts, regardless of how the decision will end up. :)

Flames

I know this is difficult for you organizers so i'd like to thank you for your efforts, regardless of how the decision will end up. :)

blue-fusion, THANK YOU. This is very much appreciated. :)

gregory

Indeed. I am sorry - in a way - that I feel as I do, but I do, so....

Rhapsodin

Facetiousness aside I'd give it a try but the one detail I want is the image proportion. So I'll see if there's anything left when this detail is sorted out (and a suitable subject to match my awful art...no, I mean, what fills me with awe, sort of!) If it's to be bordered I'll scale it accordingly. Just a nice little autumnal project. As people know elsewhere, this geezer delivers on time, within budget!

Edit: Ok, and the max word count for the book o' words if there is one.

daphne

Facetiousness aside I'd give it a try but the one detail I want is the image proportion. So I'll see if there's anything left when this detail is sorted out (and a suitable subject to match my awful art...no, I mean, what fills me with awe, sort of!) If it's to be bordered I'll scale it accordingly. Just a nice little autumnal project. As people know elsewhere, this geezer delivers on time, within budget!

Edit: Ok, and the max word count for the book o' words if there is one.

If you want to do a card, please sign up in this thread (where you can also see what is available):
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=224427

Here you can find the details about the image size, artwork specs and technical questions:
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=224681

Laura Borealis

It occurs to me that one issue with actually selling this deck is, some creators may do digital collage using photos or artwork they found online - which may or may not be copyright-free. I noticed at least one card so far is a digital collage, though I don't know the sources for the art used.

If we end up with several digital collage cards, it could be a major headache to screen out ones that violate copyright. Imagine the headache if AT gets in trouble down the road, when original artists realize their copyrighted work was used without permission? Such cases would probably be a copyright violation whether the deck ends up printed or just online, but selling seems a lot more serious...

Something to think about.

Gulliver

Sorry for the delay!!!

We had a big loss in our family and I had suddenly to manage the situation. Overwhelmed I forgot to give this information here.

I will be here tomorrow and then the things will be as used.