Divining life instead of living it.

moderndayruth

gregory said:
No - sorry. You meant abstruse then. (ETA well, I hope you did...)

Obtuse means thick, stupid.

You know that i couldn't possibly mean that - and i did hear it around being used in the meaning i suggested.

Did check once again though:

ob·tuse/əbˈt(y)o͞os/Adjective
1. Annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.
2. Difficult to understand.
Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

Really, Gregory, you know that i do respect you - how could you possibly think ... ???
Even if it was someone that i (hypothetically) don't hold in such high esteem, that would really be too low .

And, no, don't think you'll win the argument this way!!!! }) }) })

Btw, the person i've heard it use is Australian - i know what he means by that (because i asked), can it be that there is difference in use?

gregory

moderndayruth said:
You know that i couldn't possibly mean that - and i did hear it around being used in the meaning i suggested.

Did check once again though:

ob·tuse/əbˈt(y)o͞os/Adjective
1. Annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.
2. Difficult to understand.
Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

Really, Gregory, you know that i do respect you - how could you possibly think ... ???
Even if it was someone that i (hypothetically) don't hold in such high esteem, that would really be too low .

And, no, don't think you'll win the argument this way!!!! }) }) })

Btw, the person i've heard it use is Australian - i know what he means by that (because i asked), can it be that there is difference in use?
Yes I knew you couldn't (or at least weren't likely to !) mean that. That's why I put the wink smiley in my post. But as a meaning - well, all I have to say about that is that the "difficult to understand" usage is - as Merriam says, less acceptable: (my italics)

"Obtuse," which comes to us from the Latin word "obtusus," meaning "dull" or "blunt," can describe an angle that is not acute or a person who has a "dull" or insensitive mind. The word has also developed a somewhat controversial third sense of "hard to comprehend," probably as a result of confusion with "abstruse." It is now possible to speak of "obtuse language" and "obtuse explanations," as well as "obtuse angles" and "obtuse readers." This sense of "obtuse" is well established, but it may attract some criticism. If you're hesitant about using new meanings of words, you should probably stick with "abstruse" when you want a word meaning "difficult to understand."

(this page - scroll down)

But I'm not trying to win anything. That isn't what discussion is about ! If that's what you want - then I am happy to give up - but not to agree with you ! I just don't actually think you are hearing what I'm saying. That's OK !

nisaba

<diffidently, unwilling to get into something>

Abstruse to me is difficult to understand through complexity-of-thought.
"Obtuse" is about solidity, stupidity, simplicity of reasoning, and perhaps extrapolated from that, as difficult to understand because the subject may have been put together by a chaotic mind.

Underlining: I am not taking sides. I am indicating how I choose to understand two words.

moderndayruth

gregory said:
But I'm not trying to win anything. That isn't what discussion is about ! If that's what you want - then I am happy to give up - but not to agree with you ! I just don't actually think you are hearing what I'm saying. That's OK !

Its ok, really - i think the more i try to explain myself, the more i am getting myself into living sand.

My battles are IRL, this, here i see as exchange of opinions with intelligent and eloquent friends - with who, i don't happen to agree always and on everything.
I feel ridiculous for having to actually write this, as i thought it goes without saying.

This thread started too much to resemble the Ophra show, i am so out of it!

Glass Owl

Alta said:
I agree it happens, but some folks are more naturally timid about facing the world and others. Tarot and other divination tools offer them a welcome way to reduce anxiety about relationships.
I agree. I see Tarot as a friend, a sounding board. I use it as a way to think through things. I share things with the Tarot that I can't really share elsewhere. Overall, I think that there are times when we really are in a pickle and we are confused, we really don't know what to do and not do. But it boils down to this: We're afraid of REGRET.

I can see how one could say that some may use the Tarot as a way of avoiding life and but I think that Tarot has personally given more confidence to live my life. It has helped me make more informed and thought out choices and has encouraged me to take some chances that I am glad I made. Plus, it has really helps me work through my feelings of regret or possible regret so that I can live in the moment and not feel so bound by the past mistakes and the unknown future.

I have been reading this Cornell University study on regret and their results showed that "people regret their failures to act more than their actions." Maybe people are turning to Tarot so that they can explore their option and find the motivation to act... that way they won't end up regretting their failure to act later.
The Experience of Regret: What said:
Many regrets of inaction arise from an inability to conquer our fears or overcome our doubts when the "moment of truth" is at hand. We fail to make a career change because we are unsure of what the outcome will be. We do not ask someone for a date because we are afraid of rejection.
I know that Tarot has motivated me to make several very important risks and I am grateful for that. I know that if I had just talked to someone about it, my negative self talk would have talked me out of it.
The Experience of Regret: What said:
[...] people do things to alleviate the pain of their regrettable choices, and they are more likely to do so for their actions than for their failures to act. Their regrettable failures to act often just sit there, causing continued grief.
Tarot definitely helps me alleviate the pain of regrettable (and possible) choices and makes me feel more active. When I get into a holding pattern of moping around and thinking a lot of negative stuff I've noticed that I haven't picked up my cards in awhile.

While we may see a person asking repetitive questions on the same subject, I look at it as that person's personal journey and this is just part of their natural process of working through the situation and learning. We all are unique and therefore on different time tables.

gregory

Found in a similar discussion elsewhere:
If we had faith that our life would reveal to us what we need to have revealed, then we really wouldn't have much use for oracles. We'd simply have to pay attention and let things unfold in their own time.

Every time someone consults an oracle to find out something specific about another person or situation, there is some anxiety involved. Anxiety could be seen as a lack of faith or trust. That's how I see it. Partly that is.

We have many other resources for obtaining information about a person or a situation than the Tarot cards and relying primarily on them can dull those other senses or abilities.

I think the last paragraph is very apt here.

JSNYC

I completely, absolutely, and whole-heartedly agree! :thumbsup: