Doreen Virtue is making a tarot deck...

Lillie

I want this one.

I'm so sick of untrustworthy decks.

My Thoth takes all my drugs and won't share, the Lunatic steals my knickers off the washing line, and the Cruel thing tortures the neighbourhood cats and leaves them on my doorstep.

It'll be nice to have a deck that just watches daytime TV and tells me how wonderful everything is.

gregory

It'll be nice to have a deck that just watches daytime TV and tells me how wonderful everything is.

But it might see Jeremy Kyle. How wonderful is that ????

Lillie

It'll sigh sadly and say how good it is that these people are working on their problems, and now that Graham has come on stage everything will be wonderful. Because he's an indigo light worker.

gregory

It'll sigh sadly and say how good it is that these people are working on their problems, and now that Graham has come on stage everything will be wonderful. Because he's an indigo light worker.
Now if GRAHAM would make a deck... He IS good. Doreen could learn from him.

MysticalMoose

This thread has ended my day with a belly laugh! Thank you....

I'm barfing with the rest of you.... and reaching for the bleach......

Cyprusqt

Apologies to those who like her, personal tastes vary and that's a wonderful thing but....barf.

From what I've been reading about her it seems as though she is not what she seems to be and is now pretty much driven by greed not to mention her decks and books are getting rather repetitive.

Chronata

This is the first I have heard of this.

And yeah,I admit...Her oracle decks mostly annoy me, but I have used two of them with really good results (the Ascended Masters and the Gold Goddess one)

I don't know about a happy non-threatening tarot however.
Then again...I used to use the Connolly (the happy non threatening tarot!) and for a while this deck worked out well, for all those events where I was reading for the church ladies.

Maybe I have just grown out of this phase...of wanting a deck that's sunny so as not to offend the public. I guess I no longer care if I offend.

Still...I will give this deck a look, when it comes out. It may not be quite as non-threatening as I think.

trzes

I enjoyed all this DV bashing a lot, I have to admit, now that this thread has popped up again. I dislike cheesy happy-go-lucky decks, even more so when they are oracles, and it is always nice to see my prejudice confirmed. Big loughs tonight.

But I think Debra does have a point:

On the other hand, "dark decks" in which creepiness is exaggerated to great effect are much in vogue, right?

So what's the diff?

Even after reading the critical answers to her post. Sure there isn’t really a balance between dark/creepy “DOOM DOOM WE ARE ALL DOMED” (quoting gregory) decks and the DV “all is candy” kind decks. But IMO that is simply because happiness is so much nicer than doom. And even when working with a tarot that balances darkness and light, don’t we all in a way want to lift or minds and souls, move towards the bright side, improve our karma, so to speak? I think we do. And as much as few people will understand how to lift your soul by using, say, the Baphomet (I don’t get it either), few people here obviously understand how to lift your soul by simply ignoring everything that isn’t bright.

Well, yes, tarot actually has a more neutral approach of improving insights, no matter if the results are nice or not. But those who consider themselves free of self-deception may throw the first stone. If our tool (a tarot, a screwdriver, a bottle of whisky) doesn’t deliver what we want to get, we put it aside. I am not so sure that those who prefer a DV oracle to a proper tarot deck are more naïve or more simplistic or something like that. I guess they just want something different.

And yes, DV sells better than most “serious” tarots, and also better than most really dark and creepy stuff. But nothing is bad just because someone makes a lot of money with it. There are many widely appreciated tarot decks being sold by using very clever marketing strategies. Nothing wrong with that.

The one thing I have to agree with (even though I’d rather like to contradict everything that looks too consensual) is the dishonesty of the DV stuff that has been mentioned several times, just because I feel the same way. My attempt to overcome my prejudice has failed for that reason. But I have to admit that I have become somehow curious about her tarot deck.