Exploring the Cary Sheet

firemaiden

Oh boy... a monkey?? hmmmm. Well I see a big blurb. I guess if anyone could see a monkey in a blurb it would be me.... well, it *could* be a monkey, or it could be that odd layer-cake shaped hat that we see in the next card. One can distinguish a tiny little face. But then again I see faces in everything. Hmmm.

le pendu

monkeys.. fishes...

;)

Rosanne

I have tried to enlarge the Monkey Card :D Can you see the monkey now?
I think the whatchamacallit in the Bateleur's hand is what is called a mendoza or a monkey stick, rattler board etc. it is a stick with little cymbal types thingys on it for attracting attention- it sounds like coins and in medieval times was a distraction to the hat been passed around for some money (By the Monkey)~Rosanne

Attachments

• A Cary-Yale Monkey.jpg
    A Cary-Yale Monkey.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 149

OnePotato

In the Housebook, Children of Luna page, the monkey is sitting on the shoulder of the hornplayer standing next to the Bateleur.

Keeping in mind that this is simply another identifying element of the Bateleur, and doesn't need to carry some massive conspiracy of hidden meaning, I don't see why there shouldn't be a monkey there. :)

Although it's odd...
I see the monkey's face just above where rosanne has brought it out...
So maybe it's just an inkblot... ;)
Or maybe it's a second figure standing behind him, wearing a hat that looks like a turban, with a star in the middle of it....

And I don't see why there would be an indistinct fish, in some oddly upright position, on the Star card. Especially when that odd graphic convention for an "embankment" is established in so many other places, and seems also to appear on the Moon.

Plus-which-wise, I don't think one should try to date this thing by the style of the costumes. Why should one assume that they would have been current when it was made? All you can do is set the earliest date horizon by that.

And another thing, I think rosanne has the right idea with the concept of pattern sheets being important, but I don't think this is one, because of the two wands cards. (Curious to know if they're pasted on.) It is believed that The Housebook was made in part or in full by The Master of the Amsterdam Cabinet, who probably copied visual passages from The Master E.S.'s deck of cards, who probably used a pattern book to design them in the first place, and so on. Images were recycled, and sometimes specific details that seem significant may be included simply because they were copied along with everything else in the source model. (At the same time, it would be most interesting of all to find the original model, and see what specifics were ADDED or altered....)

Hmpf.
Back under my rock...

Rosanne

oops One potato, I did not mean to imply the Cary-Yale sheet was a pattern or model book itself. What I was getting at was that these cards were from a pattern book, some of which did not become popular- for instance this Bateleur did not seem to get used for cards, that we have record of. The Star card was used a lot it seems, as was the Tower Card- not the Devil card either.
As an aside, much earlier about 1200ad Thomas Aquinas defended the Dominicans against these Minstrels/Bateleurs/Jongleurs in the Courts as entertainers, because they used to make up very rude dittys about the Monks, and this went a long way toward them been despised and run out of town lol.~Rosanne

Moonbow

A monkey! I can see how you come to that Rosanne, although it could be many things and it's so frustrating not to see it more clearly. To my eye the lead hanging over his arm is the edge of his short cape. He also isn't outside as there is no foliage in the scene. Could he be carrying a musical instrument on his back?

Ross G Caldwell

Yep, most excellent Rosanne.

It's a monkey with a feather in his turban.

Damn that has stumped me for years! Congratulations!

But... still no fishes on the Star card for me.

Ross

kwaw

Wow...I think your right Rosanne, a monkey (with a feather in its turban as pointed out by Ross), I see a suggestion of its forearm and paw too over the bateleurs right shoulder.

CYBateleurMonkey.jpg

Well spotted:)

Kwaw

Rosanne

heeheee all those years staring at inkblots had a purpose, my brothers became shrinks and I got into spotting monkeys on Tarot cards. Now you know where the term a 'Monkey on your back' is from. This is what I love about Tarot and my magnifying glass and Kaplan's Encyclopedia. I think I will give up reading as there is nothing too 'behind the curtain' about these early cards; apart from poking borax at the church. (just joking- you can see lots of future in an inkblot) ~Rosanne

Moonbow

Well, I can see that REALLY clearly now, the feather and turban description together with Kwaw's close-up leaves no doubt. Nice one Rosanne, isn't it odd how once it's pointed out, it's obvious?! :D