Getting frustrated

jema

laura_borealis said:
And 2. When the inspiration isn't there, just write down what I see on the card. Just make a list.

yeah that is what I do too. and just leave it out, the card and the journal, jot down a word now and then, no matter how random.

i also gave up trying to keep specific tarot journals, i just mix it all up, daily draws, to do list, journal entries, dreams, scattered notes on a book i read etc. and i write some in english (if the book is in english) and some, most, in swedish.
(even got some in part really bad portuguese)

there are silent periods too, when i write nothing at all. and that is just fine.

Torkie

I think one of the worst ways to learn tarot is to memorize each card's meaning. There are 78 cards, after all, and if you use reverses (which I wanted to do), 156 meanings total! This is very overwhelming for a new student.

When I got my first deck, I picked up a tarot book that tried to teach in this method. Every card had a paragraph and a long list of questions to ask if you got the card. It didn't link together the deck at all. I quickly gave up, and only a few months ago started going back and reading. So since I am kind of in the same boat as you (but only a few months later!) I think I can offer some friendly Torkie advice.

1. As Aulruna said, you need a "framework" to tie it all together. Simply trying to memorize the meanings is frustrating. I'll talk about that more in a bit.

2. Don't read for yourself all the time! I still have trouble reading for myself, and I'm proficient at this point. Here is why I can't read for myself sometimes: When I'm reading for someone else, once the cards are down, I have to say something. I can't just sit there and give up. So I am forced to work harder and make connections between the cards. When I read for myself, that pressure isn't there - so if I don't immediately see the connection between the cards, I tend to give up.

3. I don't keep a daily journal, or do a daily card reading, but I do tend to write in my notes every day. For me, tarot is a hobby, and it is something I enjoy working on. So when I have spare time, I take notes on the cards, spreads, tarot history, etc. (I also keep a detailed notebook for every reading I do, including the date, the person's name, what deck I used, the question, the spread, the cards, and the conclusion. It is very helpful for keeping track of a person's reading history).

Now, as for the "framework": A lightbulb went off in my head when I realized that tarot isn't just individual cards, but a complex system where everything relates to everything else. Just knowing about the framework of the tarot means you can pretty much figure out the meanings of the all cards without a book. For example:

Each suit (wands, cups, swords, and pentacles) corresponds with an element - I'm sure you know that. But each number in the suits (twos, threes, fours, fives) are all related - not only are all the sixes about balance and equilibrium, but the sixes are ruled by the 6th Major Arcana card, the Lovers - which is also about a choice, and requires finding the middle ground.

IheartTarot

There are many different ways of reading Tarot so you need to find a way that works for you, and it can develop over time.

If you lack confidence, start simple. I second the reading exercises like this one. You don't have to jump in the deep end and do long spreads or read with reversals (ever).

Netzach

Once you become a subscriber on this site, you could join the ISG (intuitive study group) and practice reading purely intuitively for other people. It runs every month and you'd probably learn a lot . . . and learn to trust your intuition. The exercise they're doing this month is:

Pull a card. Using everything you can see, but no generic meanings, elementals, Kabbalah or anything – determine what is MOST important to your partner about themselves; what aspect of their personality/personal qualities do they most value ?

Then turn the card face down and clear your mind.

Turn it over again and read it again – upside down. This is not a reading of the ill-dignified version of the upright; it is not about what you just said. Look at what you can now see in the image, as before. What aspect of themselves does your partner most need to shed ? What aspect of themselves does your partner most need to work on changing or mitigating.

poopsie

Hi Kusje. don't lose hope. I did some of the suggestions people in the forum mentioned. I used to use the rider Waite and was ok with it. when I had to change it because some of the cards were too old to be used, I bought the Liber T and it seemed to be the right deck for me. I actually had better intuitive readings from it. I also kept a journal of my readings. At the same time, while I was doing readings, I kept electronic notes in my computer on how I saw the meanings of the different cards based on the forum contributions, other websitEs and Crowley's Book of Thoth which was my mAin scholarly reference. I also put my own interpretations of the individual cards by literally looking at each object and symbol in the card and doing my own research on the meanings behind every symbol and color. it did take me awhile but it really helped because as I jotted down my notes, I realized I was able to remember more. Also when I would do a reading, I would change the formation of the cards after I have read each card. I called this process my synthesis and integration. I only do this process after I have read each card. I would put all the major arcanas together and see if there is a coherence in the way the cards connected. then I would organize them by suites, by characters and by number. I found doing this useful and I ink it increased both my intuition and my application of logic. it helps to journalize and keep notes. I even draw the cards and how I positioned them in the pared and the integration just to see their connections and synergy with each other.

I hope you find your own way. oh incidentally, just a curious question - when you feel frustrated, is it because the cards or your reading did not turn out what you hope the cards would tell you? WOuld it be possible you feel you are not getting the answers you would have wanted to see? I ask because sometimes this happens to me, and typically I believe that when this happens, the cards may not be ready to tell me yet what I need to know, or perhaps I haven't asked my questions clearly. When this happens, I give the cards and myself space even for a few hours then I go back to them later. You may want to try this sometimes.

Carla

One thing you can do which I still do every single day is just sit and hold cards. I am always shuffling cards, looking at them, laying them out in the form of a spread just to see how they look on the table, imagining what I would say to a client if I drew a card. I make up stories about the cards in my mind while I sit and look at them, I wonder what the artist was thinking or intending when they designed the card. I look at details and see what images pop up on many different cards, and try to imagine how they might or might not be related. This doesn't involve reading any books or writing in a journal. It's just sitting and looking at the cards, touching them and playing with them. I carry decks around with me as I move around the house. I choose a deck each night to put on my bedside table next to me. As soon as I get up, I carry it to the kitchen with me when I go to make the coffee. I carry a deck in my bag with me to work every day. I'm immersed. :) If this sounds appealing to you, try it.

I'll tell you one of my favourite games when I was just starting out. Shuffle and hold the deck and turn over a card. When you see the image, even if you can't think of words to describe the meaning, if you get that warm rush of recogntion in your chest, that feeling of oh, I know what this means, even if you can't articulate it, put that in one pile. When you turn over a card and feel cold about it or confused, but it in a second pile. When finished, pick up the 'I don't know' pile and work through those. Keep going until there are no cards left.

As you progress, change the game. In your mind, say one key word as you turn the card over, the first one that comes to mind. If on reflection you think the key word fits, put it in the 'I know this' pile. If you got nothin', put it in the 'I don't know' pile.

This is a fun game to me and I play it all the time, especially with new decks.

Tarot Fairy

laura_borealis said:
I think I need to do two things: 1. Give myself permission to write journal entries that aren't so great. (This is hard for a Virgo perfectionist.) And 2. When the inspiration isn't there, just write down what I see on the card. Just make a list. Keep the LWBs tucked away... don't crack open the tarot books... keep fingers out of Google and just write my own impressions.

I don't know if that will help you at all, but maybe it will. And I thank you for helping me by jogging my brain about why tarot journals don't always work out for me.

Great to read that this thread is not only helping me and thank you for your idea about writing in my journal; It’s true, I am a perfectionist so have to give myself the permission and try to read with books and google!

Torkie said:
1. As Aulruna said, you need a "framework" to tie it all together. Simply trying to memorize the meanings is frustrating. I'll talk about that more in a bit.

2. Don't read for yourself all the time! I still have trouble reading for myself, and I'm proficient at this point. Here is why I can't read for myself sometimes: When I'm reading for someone else, once the cards are down, I have to say something. I can't just sit there and give up. So I am forced to work harder and make connections between the cards. When I read for myself, that pressure isn't there - so if I don't immediately see the connection between the cards, I tend to give up.

3. I don't keep a daily journal, or do a daily card reading, but I do tend to write in my notes every day. For me, tarot is a hobby, and it is something I enjoy working on. So when I have spare time, I take notes on the cards, spreads, tarot history, etc. (I also keep a detailed notebook for every reading I do, including the date, the person's name, what deck I used, the question, the spread, the cards, and the conclusion. It is very helpful for keeping track of a person's reading history).

I was trying to memorize the card, but you are right; it is to overwhelming! Many thanks for your advice, especially the one about the “Framework” I read about the numbers, but not enough, so going to focus on that!

Thank you for the link IheartTarot, I saw it before, but again my lack of confidence pushed me away there, I really need to step out my comfort zone and just give it a try!

@Netzach Thank you for your advice about the ISG, I would think about it!

poopsie said:
oh incidentally, just a curious question - when you feel frustrated, is it because the cards or your reading did not turn out what you hope the cards would tell you? WOuld it be possible you feel you are not getting the answers you would have wanted to see? I ask because sometimes this happens to me, and typically I believe that when this happens, the cards may not be ready to tell me yet what I need to know, or perhaps I haven't asked my questions clearly. When this happens, I give the cards and myself space even for a few hours then I go back to them later. You may want to try this sometimes.

Thank you for your story Poopsie, I try it the same way as you, ( a lot of researching about symbols etc etc) and still wanted to do that but in an another way, but just have to find out how ;-)
Too answer your question: It’s not about what I was hoping for, the cards where at the most Daily draws; nothing big to deal with. It was just that the cards combination didn’t fit together (or not) in my daily setting.

Carla said:
I'll tell you one of my favourite games when I was just starting out. Shuffle and hold the deck and turn over a card. When you see the image, even if you can't think of words to describe the meaning, if you get that warm rush of recogntion in your chest, that feeling of oh, I know what this means, even if you can't articulate it, put that in one pile. When you turn over a card and feel cold about it or confused, but it in a second pile. When finished, pick up the 'I don't know' pile and work through those. Keep going until there are no cards left.

Great advice Carla, I would give this a try!

And again; many thanks for all these great advice! I really had a though day yesterday and I was almost there to give it all up again, but after reading this thread I found new hope and idea’s and I’m sure I’ll be there on the place where I wanted to be someday!

Venessa

Kusje,
I am so excited for you to learn tarot! Once you allow yourself to let go of insecurities you will discover that your mind can do amazing things when reading the cards. Post your readings here on AT and don't forget to add your own interpretations and others will help you and maybe add to what you have already thought in your readings. It is always helpful for outside perspective anyway. Everyone on the forum are from different parts of the world but one thing that brings us together is our love of Tarot and interest at being better readers. I found that reading Thirteen's interpretations of the cards very helpful as I desired to familiarize myself with basic meanings of each card. It helped me see the card in a different light than just basic keywords. Check it out if you haven't already. Don't worry, it will come :)

Here is the link
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/

Aeclectic Tarot is AWESOME!!!

shadowomyn

Just to add, if you don't want to practice by reading for other people, then just read for make believe people. (I suggest Winnie the Pooh.) If it's good enough for James Rickleff ....

I also moved from using the Celtic Cross to just doing 3 card spreads. I don't have enough time to do the Celtic Cross properly, and it's usually more information than I need anyway.

PrincessPaulina

poopsie said:
Also when I would do a reading, I would change the formation of the cards after I have read each card. I called this process my synthesis and integration. I only do this process after I have read each card. I would put all the major arcanas together and see if there is a coherence in the way the cards connected. then I would organize them by suites, by characters and by number. I found doing this useful and I ink it increased both my intuition and my application of logic. it helps to journalize and keep notes. I even draw the cards and how I positioned them in the pared and the integration just to see their connections and synergy with each other.

Hi, Poopsie, I LOVE this tip!
For some reason, changing the card formation after doing a spread NEVER occurred to me! I'm going to incorporate this technique in my Tarot readings from now on :)