How do you pronnounce Tarot?

nisaba

Everyone I've ever met except for one waitress, pronounces it to rhyme with "arrow".

I didn't realise there was still a debate about it. :)

CelestialHorse

Haha yeah. Hm I wonder how my uncle says it...he the one that got me into tarot but they mostly have Law of attraction or well being, or angel type cards now :) It is fun having your own deck but cooler when someone reads them for ya (When that happens it seems accurate to me sometimes but mostly in person I have noticed).

I remembered doing it with a friend and ex friend (who was a friend but is a creep), but can't remember how they said it, oh well lol.

ravenest

I thought it was said two ways to make a distinction between the two type of reading one could get ; Ta ... rot and taro (as in the starchy nutritious tuber) .

chimera68

Why not pronounce the t and make it rhyme with carrot? The silent t sounds affected and snobby, almost as bad as putting the accent on the last syllable. However, I usually make the t silent in order to be understood.

What he said.

Tarrot like carrot, among the commoners. Tuh-roww when asking for product at bookstore.

gregory

Why not pronounce the t and make it rhyme with carrot? The silent t sounds affected and snobby, almost as bad as putting the accent on the last syllable. However, I usually make the t silent in order to be understood.

What's wrong with tarrow ?

But the silent t (and the last syllable stressing) is the NORM in French at least and at times in German, when using a "foreign" word (which they see tarot as, I believe; a borrowing from French - that's the only context I've ever come across it prounonced tea-less - no, I lie, also in an Englishwoman who was taught by a frenchman !

Luna-Ocean

The silent t sounds affected and snobby,

I would never be thought of as being snobby, i think not sounding the last T does make
Tarrow sound more interesting. :D

Richard

There's no reason for the pronunciation to be controversial. If taro(t) (silent t) is the norm, then taro(t) it shall be, particularly if it is regarded as a French word. That pronunciation is especially handy because of the alternate spelling, taro, permutations of which give rota (Latin for wheel) and tora(h) (Hebrew for teaching, instruction, guidance). These permutations are exploited in the RWS deck.

I'm allergic to tar-OH though, because it reminds me of a somewhat regrettable affaire d'amour with a new ager a few years ago, who insisted on that pronunciation.

Attachments

• taro.jpg
    taro.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 87

Rosanne

Both the Oxford and Webster dictionaries say it is pronounced taro and the vegetable is ta-*ro. I guess it is like the French word the English have adopted 'Garage'.
Here we say Garahj (soft ending) and others say Gha (a as in apple)ridge.
Either way I understand you want my cards, or where is my car?

~Rosanne

Pixna

Both the Oxford and Webster dictionaries say it is pronounced taro and the vegetable is ta-*ro. I guess it is like the French word the English have adopted 'Garage'.

~Rosanne

LOL! That's how I pronounce it too (both garage -- with the emphasis on the last syllable -- and Tarot, like sparrow or arrow or taro or marrow).

Some of the responses here are pretty funny -- I appreciate the chuckles. :D

Richard

~Rosanne
How about ballet? I've never heard it with the final t pronounced.