How do you question your cards?

Placebo Scotsman

Momming? Me too, completely confused. :) Maybe we'll get this cleared up before long. I'm interested to know what this is. I "mom'd" a lot of people, but I don't think that's what the term means. :p

That's when your deck starts acting like your mother

It doesn't to talk to you about the job prospects you just asked about, it starts handing you cards that all look like they referring to your latest crush

I haven't had that example specifically happen to me, I have had cards that seemed to be addressing a question that I wasn't directly asking

It is happening less as I progress along

This made perfect sense when it was discussed on tumblr

But a lot things make sense on tumblr and nowhere else

But that's besides the point

Farzon

@jenessa
So you give yourself to the cards... That's what I would call deterministic in some way, but I guess the word was badly chosen. It sounds so negative.
However, I know as well that the cards can offer an own point of view... But that holds true for a fixed question as well. If, in a business reading a lot of swords show up, it shows that this is a problem only in your worries or so.

jenessa

@jenessa
So you give yourself to the cards... That's what I would call deterministic in some way, but I guess the word was badly chosen. It sounds so negative.
Yes indeed, when I read this way I let the cards determine what I need to know. So I allow the tarot cards to control the reading, though as a reader it's up to me to decipher their message.

However, I know as well that the cards can offer their own point of view... But that holds true for a fixed question as well.
The cards do indeed offer their own point of view, which is why I generally BEGIN reading by letting them send me a message. So this way of reading gives me a starting point, and then if I want or need to I can continue reading by asking specific questions about what the tarot has chosen to reveal.
^^ Also Note: when reading this way, the use of specific questions takes the place of positional meanings.

Aside from semantics, what alot of people who have posted are pointing out is that in their experience sometimes tarot doesn't answer the question put to it, but rather sends a message about something else. & This ties-in with the school of thot that the cards send us the message we need to hear, which is not always what we're asking about.

However, having said that, please note: I sometimes consult the cards about a specific topic. In which case, I simply ask them to tell me: what I need to know about _____ (my finances; my relationship, etc.). Tho thing is, I only do this when there's something going on in some area of my life which would warrant my asking about it.

If, in a business reading a lot of swords show up, it shows that this is a problem only in your worries or so.
Not sure what you mean here, though the suit of swords traditionally concerns the absence or presence of conflict .. tho nowadays alot of readers assign the qualities associated with intellect to the swords as well.

In any event, what i was getting at, is that there are many different ways to view the cards, so when working with open readings you can consider the card drawn in various contexts, as opposed to just one preconcieved positional meaning. So this way of reading is an excellent exercise for exploring ways to connect with the cards.

For example: the first thing I do when i throw 3 cards, is to look to see IF they can be read as a "chain reaction", in the sense that the meaning of card one would lead to card two, and then is it possible that card two would lead to card three? IF not, then I consider whether they nonetheless show cause & effect? IF not, i'll try viewing the three as a whole, in the sense that read together they may represent a theme? Or in otherwords, maybe they are not depicting a flow of energy, but rather are pin-pointing a certain subject matter. OR perhaps they are identifying a specific area in my life (for example: throwing three cups would suggest that the cards want to send me a message about my relationships with others). OR does anything about the imagery in the cards jump out @ me? OR can the advice in each of the cards be read as a whole (ie. message). ETC.

+ As i previously wrote, open readings can also be used for general readings where the querent wants a reading, but doesn't have a specific questions. & As such, open readings are a good way to open-up the clients life.

Sar

I say: Show me what/why/how/when,where and lay from 3-5 cards for an overall reading and the reading shows me what is going on.

It just works.