How have tarot readers been received in society?

Harmony Rose

I think if they were renamed "Oprah cards", the same scoffers would buy and discuss the heck out of them though...

Cocobird55

My friends who think tarot is silly just completely ignore me when I mention it. But most people are cool with it.

Disa

When my daughter was small I kept all my decks out of site. We live in the Bible Belt and she had lots of friends over, which meant their parents were bringing them, picking them up,or hanging out. Once she and her friends all started driving themselves around, and especially after they turned 18 I quit putting things out of site. I once had a parent downstairs to see the room the DH had built for me in the basement, at that time I probably had 2 tarot decks, one was a set on a shelf I had completely forgotten about, mixed in with some writing books. For some reason, that particular mom started telling me about this "other" "weird" mother who read Tarot.

I just never wanted to do anything out of the ordinary that would cause my daughter not to be able to spend time with her friends...so I see where you are coming from. Whether it becomes more widely accepted or not wasn't the issue, and it wasn't even so much teasing at school, but more to do with the belief systems many of her friends parents had and not wanting to cause problems for her.

nisaba

I am considering mainly how being a known tarot reader will effect my children in school.

In Australia, it doesn't. One of my daughter's schoolfriends once asked for a reading. That is all.

MagsStardustBlack

When my daughter was small I kept all my decks out of site. We live in the Bible Belt and she had lots of friends over, which meant their parents were bringing them, picking them up,or hanging out. Once she and her friends all started driving themselves around, and especially after they turned 18 I quit putting things out of site. I once had a parent downstairs to see the room the DH had built for me in the basement, at that time I probably had 2 tarot decks, one was a set on a shelf I had completely forgotten about, mixed in with some writing books. For some reason, that particular mom started telling me about this "other" "weird" mother who read Tarot.

I just never wanted to do anything out of the ordinary that would cause my daughter not to be able to spend time with her friends...so I see where you are coming from. Whether it becomes more widely accepted or not wasn't the issue, and it wasn't even so much teasing at school, but more to do with the belief systems many of her friends parents had and not wanting to cause problems for her.

my house it covered in tarot, and my daughter has her own deck, she is 6. She wanted to take it for 'show and tell' purely for fun, as a deck of cards...this year.... the school said 'no'. There is now a new head teacher, who seems lovely and down to earth. If my daughter asked again i would have to think about it.

danieljuk

When I was in high school I took RWS several times in my bag :) I was probably an awful awful reader then!

I really struggle with the idea of doing readings in public because of anxiety and shyness and people's negative opinions and dealing with that. I have friends who are healers and work in alternative medicine and they get the same negative responses sometimes. I realised one day that the same people who are negative about people doing tarot, are actually negative about anyone who is a little different to them.

Whilst I am still struggling with that confidence, we have to celebrate who we are and our reading, it's their problem not ours :) Although if it would actually be dangerous to do it, perhaps keep it quiet but otherwise it's their problem not yours.

Luna-Ocean

. I realised one day that the same people who are negative about people doing tarot, are actually negative about anyone who is a little different to them.

Whilst I am still struggling with that confidence, we have to celebrate who we are and our reading, it's their problem not ours :) Although if it would actually be dangerous to do it, perhaps keep it quiet but otherwise it's their problem not yours.

I think alot of peoples negativity about Tarot stems mainly with not being more open minded about these things, when i venture out i'm always dressed quite smartly and there is nothing strange or even remotely odd with my appearance people even think that i have loads of money which i don't. ;)

What i do not like is being judged by others misconceptions on doing something that is looked upon as being out there or even weird? i wish people could get past their own insecurities about the use of Tarot and do more research on its history.

i also think that schools should also let their students use Tarot in classes, why does there need to be such negativity about Tarot there really doesn't need to be?

AriesVirgoAscending

For the most part it has been received well by my peers. I have lost some friends over it though. They were fundamentalist Christian.
Some feel it's witchcraft, but mostly I'm met with curiosity.

prudence

In Australia, it doesn't. One of my daughter's school friends once asked for a reading. That is all.
Wow, on the entire continent of Australia there are no pockets of intolerance or fundamentalism??? Are you sure the name of your country isn't Utopia? ;)

In my small neck of the woods in the US (granted this is northern California, which is known for it's open mindedness and tolerance) I have not run into any unpleasantness related to my cards, but there are those who think the cards are silly and not meant for educated people.

Holly doll

I haven't met up with any nastiness, besides, I can't control what others think - it's none of my business so I don't worry about it, just keep on shufflin'... :thumbsup: